Author Topic: Eventghost localhost  (Read 5487 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Eventghost localhost
« on: October 11, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
Having wireless trouble fairly regularly at the minute and it's killing my ability to switch lights on and off etc.

I figured I would specify the eventghost IP in Vox as 127.0.0.1 so that even if the wireless was down I would still be able to switch lights on and off.

No such luck.  Is it Eventghosts fault because the broadcast plugin is listening on 192.168.0.9?  If so, any idea if it can be changed?

Love you guys :)

-P

Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Eventghost localhost
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
You think maybe eventGhost is receiving the packet but ignoring it?  I doubt it.  If your wireless goes down, then I think you have no network, even though you are trying to access to local machine only.

Just wondering why you are even using wireless.  I guess you are using the "house" router which is not accessible via ethernet in your room?

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
I'm afraid so. Stupid router is terrible. Event ghost does t seem to react at all as soon as I switch the IP from 192.168.0.9 to 127.0.0.1

If I'm trying to send the packet to the local machine then the lack of network connectivity shouldn't matter should it?

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
Yes because your computer will think there is no network.

One thing you could try, is to send the packets to 255.255.255.255, if that is possible, but I don't think it will work.  No WiFi, means no network, means no network communication, even if it is to itself because there is nothing to communicate on.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:04:44 AM »
Lame. Thanks mate. I tried 255.255.255.255 but as you say, it's the same issue when the connectivity vanishes. Perhaps I'll have to change this bloody dongle for a third time being as the new router Virgin have sent us seems to hate it. Xxx

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
If it is a desktop, consider getting a pciexpress nic instead.  Much more reliable than dongles methinks, and probably better range.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:15:28 AM by jitterjames »

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
Between the big powerhouse of a graphics card, the sound card and the TV tuner card I don't have the space unfortunately. It's another one of those "when we get our own place" scenarios unfortunately. ;)

I will get it working right, it's just gonna take some fiddling. I think I need to set the router to solely use the guest wifi for my PC. I think it's issues are related to authentication handshaking failing intermittently, so I'll try altering the authentication on fee guest wifi and see what happens.

-P

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
Hi MrWolf, hope I read this right and hopefully I can help in some way. It sounds to me that what happens is that when your wireless "drops" and even though you have set the EG to VC as 127.0.0.1 the event still does not happens. The way I see this is that everything else will be relaint on the wireless as well. So VC and EG might still "talk" even when the wireless is down but once that is done they will try to put their commands out to the lights or anything over the wireless and this is where I feel you are having your trouble.

I am wondering if it might be worth your while to see if one of your friends might have a wifi extender \ AP they are not using and testing that out. My logic sort of tells met that if you link the AP to the current wireless you are using and then from there all your local device will run through the AP this might eliminate the whole thing. Communication might still work between devices via the AP now not relying on the wifi to be working.

Hope I am making sense. This makes so much sense in my head but typing it now just feels so confusing :)

Best of luck

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Thank you mate, but I solved it by setting up guest wifi on the router and having a different authentication method for my PC from the rest of the network. That seems to have solved it.

Thanks anyway buddy.

:)

-P

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
all good... just glad its all sorted for you!! Enjoy