Author Topic: Amazing  (Read 4642 times)

brandon13

• View Profile
Amazing
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »
I have to say I am very impressed with this software. I have tested it out with WMC and EventGhost and it works better than I ever thought it would with a cheap $8 microphone.

Are you planning on adding more control to WMC? The ability to request a movie would be awesome.

Also, I have tried setting up a command to queue a song to the playlist using the music-que command and also the queueaudio-song command but I can't seem to get them to work. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I think I got a similar one close to working properly and it just didn't seem to understand me very well compared to the ones you have setup for Artist and Album. I noticed you actually setup a script for them. They work so well. Are you planning on adding any more like these?

I noticed it does have trouble recognizing some band names like "Limp Bizkit" for example. It never understands that.

I use WMC for music, DVDs and recording live TV so if you need someone to test I can help.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amazing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
I am glad you like!  It always makes me happy to hear that. :D

I think that I've almost maxed out the capabilities for WMC based on what is available in the VMC plugin.  The VMC plugin is a project that I am not involved in.  If you want to take a look around and ask some questions on their forums I'd be happy for any reports, but I have found it to be a bit of a "dead zone" over there!  http://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/

It is possible to request a video, but only by "url" which I presume to the the path and filename.  This would allow us to request movies but we would have to create a payloadXML linking the movie titles to the corresponding path/filenames. This would be easy enough to do by hand, but since the VMC pluginn doesn't provide us with this information I don't know how to automate it.  I will try to keep it in mind though in case anything comes up.  I have quite a few "somethings" in the air.  Eggs?  Flaming axes?  Airplanes?  Chainsaws?  I can't remember how that expression goes...

according to their website the syntax is:  ( I assume they mean video when they say audio - and it is possible you need quotes around the URL)

play-video <The URL of the audio to play>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:16:12 PM by jitterjames »

paulo180

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
Hello all,

Firstly a thank you James, this is a rather nifty little app. I had a play with it over the weekend and I love the ability to select music by artist, song, etc. but was disappointed the same could not be achieved with my video library. Not sure if you already have something in the pipeline but as workaround I added the command

Launch.RawParam | c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe&&{1}

and linked this to an xml file I had generated containing the location and launch phrase for my films. Unfortunately I am not a programmer and have not even used XML files before so I could only achieve this (in my limited knowledge) by dumping a directory export into Excel and exporting it as an XML. If you could streamline this process as you have with the music artists it could be a workaround in WMC for launching films by name. Just an idea, hopefully helpful?

Thanks,

Paul

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
The easy answer is: "NO, there is nothing in the pipeline, if you can, you should switch to XBMC".

XBMC is much better in every way except if you use live TV (for now XBMC support for this is poor).  We have much more control over XBMC.  It is not because I have chosen to spend more time on XBMC. It is because the functionality that XBMC provides allows us to do more.

With WMC it is possible to request music data from the OS based on the music data in Windows Media Player.  This is not possible with video afaik.

You can create a payloadXML file easily in VoxCommando and copy and paste your paths into that.  No programming required.

If you have what you consider to be a "typical" xml file format that is easy to produce, then maybe I can make a tool to convert it to Vox format.

Maybe I can write some code to scan a folder and sub folders for files with a certain extension (e.g. 'avi') and create a payloadXML from that...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:58:23 AM by jitterjames »

paulo180

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
OK thanks for that, I will look into XBMC as an alternative. As for the XML file structure I just copied your exisiting format and created the phrase based on the filename minus it's extension.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <PayloadsRoot xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
- <payload>
  <value>"path to folder\file"</value> e.g - "C:\Moveis\The Road (2009)\The Road.avi"
  <phrase>phrase to launch movie</phrase> e.g - The Road
  </payload>
</PayloadsRoot>

Would be handy if, like you mention, you could set a root path that is scanned for media and added to a payload.  I'll let you decide on whether you think this sort of support would benefit other WMC users and whether you want to spend any time on it though as I have no idea how long that would take!!!

Thankss,

Paul

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:19 PM »
I'm a bit confused.  It sounds like it is working for you.  Is that correct?

paulo180

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
Sorry if I haven't made myself clear. As it stands I can get it to work and open movies via Voxcommando by phrase, however the way I created the .xml was long-winded. I exported a dir listing of my movie folders to a text file which I then opened in Excel and played about with for an hour until I could export it as an .xml in your format.

I'm sure you'd have a clever way of doing this and if it could be added as a button in Voxcommando (i.e. generate WMC movie payload file from folder structure) I thought it might be a worthy addition and useful to other users of WMC?

Paul

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
it's not you, it's me.   :D

No I'm not breaking up with you.  You were clear, I was just checking.

I was planning on doing a folder scanner tool at some point anyway, but it may take a while for me to get to it.  If a paying user asks for this feature it'll probably get done sooner.

In the mean time, I'll definitely be adding the ability to copy and paste from Excel to the Payload Editor to the next version (0.872) in the next couple of days.  If the process of getting the files into excel isn't too difficult, this should at least make your job a bit easier.  the way it works is you can copy two columns of data from excel and then it will create a payload entry for each, using the left column as the value and the right column as the phrase.  This was easier for me to implement and will serve a wider variety of situations, allowing you to organize all your payloads via excel if you like.  I guess I'll also need to add the ability to go the other way at some point. (VC to Excel)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:12:22 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
I believe you were looking for something like this?

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=410.0