Author Topic: VoxCommando Version 0.875 official release is finally here!  (Read 18249 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
VoxCommando Version 0.875 official release is finally here!
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
The latest version of VoxCommando (0.875) has been cleaned up and neatly packaged and is now available on the website here: http://www.voxcommando.com/downloads.asp

VoxCommando is officially not free anymore, but if you are not a registered user you can still access all of it's features in "trial" mode.  Trial mode supports all the same features as the full version, you are only limited to a certain number of commands before you must restart the program.  Once you have tried it, you can buy a license on the website using PayPal, and then activate the trial to upgrade to the full version.

There is now only one download, regardless of what program you will use VC with.  When you first run the program you will be prompted to select a standard configuration (i.e. XBMC, iTunes, MediaMonkey, WMC)

To preview the new installer and interface, and to see a detailed guide to setting VC up to work with XBMC you can check out this new tutorial video on youtube:

(I recommend watching it full-screen at 720p resolution if you can)

Advanced users won't get much new information from this video, but I know you love the sound of my voice so check it out anyway!

This is the first in a series of videos for the new version that I am planning to make.  I will post new videos here, as they are available, showing off some new features and advanced techniques.

For those of you who have not checked out any new versions of VoxCommando for a while, there is quite a bit that has been changine lately, but the two key features that I am excited about are

1) Events - (tutorial will come soon showing this off)
2) Automatic Help File Generator, that will create an html page showing all your voice commands.  You can bring this page up anytime you want or print it for your room-mates or guests.  This new feature will probably be refined in future versions, but it already works quite well, and is very easy to use.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:42:04 PM by jitterjames »

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
Re: VoxCommando Version 0.875 official release is finally here!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
Hello James,

Cool your video, your are one robot??? ::) sorry, não resisti a tentação de dar umas risadas, sua voz esta muito diferente neste vídeo.
Great tutorial for new users, i am wait for more complex tutorials videos.

congratulations again...very professional.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:07:21 PM by Wanilton »
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
I did my best to be clear and concise.  If I made you laugh then at least I have accomplished one good thing today!  ;)

At least I didn't use my "talking to my dog" voice...

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
It´s a joke of course, no offense... :P
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
no offence taken

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
James,

Just watched the video. Congrats on getting a full release out- great job. The video is an excellent start. Time for version 1.0 ?!

DHJ

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
There are a couple of bugs that I have noticed and will be fixing soon.

1) copy/paste in the tree editor: if you try to past text (say from a phrase into a command) it will actually paste a new node into the tree instead of the text

2) focus events: don't seem to be generated when VC is in off mode.  This is not critical, but it could cause problems I think so I will fix this.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »
James,

I finally got some time to test the new version (sorry been away from home for work to germany last week).
I did some out of the box testing and what I noticed is that while you work with the "save" "discard changes" in the command tree it is not all dummy proof.

Perhaps this is by design, but I tested the following :

* Delete functions and folders then used the CANCEL button and on the next screen chose discard changes. Afterwards going back to the command tree the folders and functions are gone.
* Some buttons don't have "info labels" while you hover over them with your mouse, such as to >> in the middle to name one, just details but pointing this out for ya, do with it as you see fit.
* While command tree is open, when choosing FILE -> "Apply standard configuration" or FILE -> "Full restart" the following error appears :

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
   at System.Collections.ArrayList.ArrayListEnumeratorSimple.MoveNext()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ExitInternal()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Exit(CancelEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Exit()
   at VoxCommando.Main.installConfig()
   at VoxCommando.Main.loadConfigurationToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VoxCommando
    Assembly Version: 0.8.7.5
    Win32 Version: 0.8.7.5
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Auri/Documents/VoxCommandoXBMC%200_875%20EN/VoxCommando.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Interop.SpeechLib
    Assembly Version: 5.4.0.0
    Win32 Version: 5.4.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Auri/Documents/VoxCommandoXBMC%200_875%20EN/Interop.SpeechLib.DLL
CoreAudioApi
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Auri/Documents/VoxCommandoXBMC%200_875%20EN/CoreAudioApi.DLL
System.Speech
    Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.6920.1109 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf.071009-1109)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Speech/3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Speech.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Interop.iTunesLib
    Assembly Version: 1.13.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.13.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Auri/Documents/VoxCommandoXBMC%200_875%20EN/Interop.iTunesLib.DLL
System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Ionic.Zip
    Assembly Version: 1.9.1.5
    Win32 Version: 1.9.1.5
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Auri/Documents/VoxCommandoXBMC%200_875%20EN/Ionic.Zip.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This is all I can find for now.
I didn't know wether to post this in this thread or bug reports, so move if needed.

Regards
Auri
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
Thanks Auri, posting here is OK I think.
* Delete functions and folders then used the CANCEL button and on the next screen chose discard changes. Afterwards going back to the command tree the folders and functions are gone.

I've never seen this happen.  I'd like to know exactly what you are doing here, because I suspect that you are clicking the save icon first.  Once you've clicked save it is saved (by design) the choice to cancel and dismiss can only cancel changes since your last save.  Please check this.  I've used this cancel dismiss thing thousands of times during testing on several computers and have never noticed anything like this.

* Some buttons don't have "info labels" while you hover over them with your mouse, such as to >> in the middle to name one, just details but pointing this out for ya, do with it as you see fit.
Ok thanks for pointing this out.  This is a combination of "by design" and lazyness.  I tend to put tool-tips on buttons where I think the function might not be obvious, or where there could be confusion.  But it's true that I could add some more tool-tips to clarify things and it wouldn't hurt!

* While command tree is open, when choosing FILE -> "Apply standard configuration" or FILE -> "Full restart" the following error appears :

This is a perfect example of why coders can't beta test their own programs.  It would never occur to me to click those buttons when the edit window was open!  :bonk.  The easy solution would be for me to make the edit tree modal (can't do anything with the parent window) but that doesn't work because we need to use the main window sometimes to switch modes, views, or drag events from the history.  So I guess the best solution would be to disable the file menu while the command tree editor is open?  I wonder if anything else on the menu would make it crash?

Great bug report Auri.  Thanks!  ;D  Keep em coming...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:35:23 PM by jitterjames »

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
Thanks Auri, posting here is OK I think.
I've never seen this happen.  I'd like to know exactly what you are doing here, because I suspect that you are clicking the save icon first.  Once you've clicked save it is saved (by design) the choice to cancel and dismiss can only cancel changes since your last save.  Please check this.  I've used this cancel dismiss thing thousands of times during testing on several computers and have never noticed anything like this.
Ok thanks for pointing this out.  This is a combination of "by design" and lazyness.  I tend to put tool-tips on buttons where I think the function might not be obvious, or where there could be confusion.  But it's true that I could add some more tool-tips to clarify things and it wouldn't hurt!

This is a perfect example of why coders can't beta test their own programs.  It would never occur to me to click those buttons when the edit window was open!  :bonk.  The easy solution would be for me to make the edit tree modal (can't do anything with the parent window) but that doesn't work because we need to use the main window sometimes to switch modes, views, or drag events from the history.  So I guess the best solution would be to disable the file menu while the command tree editor is open?  I wonder if anything else on the menu would make it crash?

Great bug report Auri.  Thanks!  ;D  Keep em coming...

Hey thats one of the reasons we are here James, to help you test.  To be honest I would never use the combination of things I tested, but it's for the express purpose of invoking errors since logicly I would never tr and restart or close a program with other windows open.

To answer qoute nr 1 : I did not use any of the SAVE buttons.  But testing this now again and I can no longer provoke this action, so I must have somehow saved it.  Lets drop this one as you are probably right.
To answer qoute nr 2 : Yeah I figured as much but just wanted to point it out, it's cool ... atleast you know it there (or rather not there :D )
To answer qoute nr 3 : Or you could check if the command tree window is open when people use this buttons and then just close the command tree window before the actual command. I would then let it default close without saving changes.  Or perhaps in the discard window to a clean close following the users choise to save or discard and then perform the FILE action such as full restart or restore standard config, I dunno how deep the command tree window is nested in the main screen (if that makes sence to you :D )

Regards

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
that gets complicated.  It's easier to just disable the file menu.  Consider it a "semi-modal" window.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
that gets complicated.  It's easier to just disable the file menu.  Consider it a "semi-modal" window.

Cool, you know best James.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
As promised, a tutorial showing how to use Events...

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
I did some testing with events, a situation that I noticed is that if we have the same events in different groups of commands, it obviously performs the functions where the event appears, asks: Is it possible to isolate the event only for the command triggered, isolating the same event that are present in other groups of commands XBMC?
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »
I don't understand.  :'(