Author Topic: New Features in the upcoming release (version 0.8)  (Read 3156 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
New Features in the upcoming release (version 0.8)
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
I hope to release something NEW :o  in the next few weeks.

Version 0.8 tackles a lot of the problems that I have seen since I started trying to use VoxCommando without using eventGhost.  I am hoping that these changes will been seen as major improvements by most users, and will help new users to get going with VoxCommando more quickly.  I am sure that it is a step in the right direction looking toward the glorious version 1.0 !

Upcoming changes:

1) Commands no longer need to be in a named group to function.  We currently need to put all of our Launch commands into a group called Launch** and all of our WMC commands in a group named WMC** now we attach a command type directly to a command with a dropdown menu.

2) We can now create more complex commands.  aka Macros  :D.  A macro can consist of a number of commands of different types.  A macro could for example launch a program, wait 5 seconds, do some keyboard emulation.  Another macro might clear the current playlist, request music by a certain artist, adjust the volume, and then go to the now playing page.

3) Command looping, and commands types will be easier to create because we will now use forms to edit commands instead of entering cryptic text into our command tree.  Now to loop, you will check a box and enter a delay into a text box, and maximum loops into another checkbox.  No more [repeat:100:4]button-left

4) We will also be able to attach more command properties in the future, one that I am planning is to make certain commands require user confirmation.  For certain commands, the computer could ask "are you sure" and then wait for "confirm" or "cancel".  Of course you will be able to adjust the language to your liking.

5) Context: Since you will now be able to create all different kinds of commands under a single group, it will be very useful to be able to turn groups on and off.  There will be new commands that allow you to do this.  You will be able to put these commands into your macros, so you can Start Playing Music, and turn ON your music command group and turn OFF your video commands group.

6) I am extending the OSD (on screen display) to show your alternate commands.  Unfortunately there is no way to get this window to appear in front of WMC.  Most other programs should allow it though.  This feature will be optional, in case you don't like it. ???

7) In later versions (0.9 or higher) these changes will allow us to do more interesting things with context and menus.  A command might lead you into a situation where the computer gives you new choices, or listens for certain commands based on your previous command... a bit more like having a conversation.  the sky is the limit.

I will post some screen shots as development progresses.

This is a major change that affects almost all code segments, and one of the things that is slowing me down the most (apart from having REAL work to do) is maintaining backwards compatibility with older command trees (voicecommands.xml).  I think this is important though and I am doing my best so you don't have to rebuild your command structures!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: New Features in the upcoming release (version 0.8)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
here's a sneak peek

it may not make much sense, but it give you an idea of where we are going

Shodan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
Hi,
Just wondering if there will be a way to catch the html reply from xbmc.
For example, I can say what song is this and have it send GetMusicLabel(200) which is the artists name and this information shows up in the small box in voxcommando but is there or will there be a way to grab that information and use tts to say it to you?

Regards

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
Yes, I'd like to be able to do this.  I'm still thinking about it, because different programs return info in different ways.  xbmc sends html with some extra info that would need to be parsed, and you get different stuff depending on what you ask for...  Currenlty if you want total control you'd be better off working through eventGhost so that you can parse it yourself using a python script.

It's not a #1 priority, but it is something I plan to address somehow.  I might allow you access through regular expressions... it's a bit advanced for most users but it would probably offer the flexibility and power needed.

Then there is the problem of offering tools to feed that info into something else... it's tricky.