Author Topic: New Version of EventGhost - 3.7.r1482 - includes broadcast plugin  (Read 13559 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
If you are setting up EventGhost for the first time use this installer: EventGhost_0.3.7.r1482_Setup.exe  

I will post other files to help you get started in the next post.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:21:40 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: New Version of EventGhost - 3.7.r1482 - includes broadcast plugin
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
here's a sample VC folder with a few simple EG commands

after you have installed EventGhost, you can open the attached configuration file "EventGhost Sample Config.xml" in eventGhost.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:24:55 PM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
here's a sample VC folder with a few simple EG commands

after you have installed EventGhost, you can open the attached configuration file "EventGhost Sample Config.xml" in eventGhost.

Thanks Kalle  ;D
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Colorider40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
How do you get VC to respond to a broadcast from EventGhost?  For example, I would like a remote button that turns VC to standby mode.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
just look up.  there is a sample config for eventGhost in the second post of this thread that does exactly that.

Colorider40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
It's now working, I had to fully restart both EG and VC to get it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:03:01 PM by Colorider40 »

Christian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Hi James (or anybody)!

After my reinstall of OS and installation of the last VC and EG, EG does not recieve commands from VC.
EG recieves from my phone and other EG computers, just not VC.

any Ideas?

“Wherever beer is brewed, all is well-wherever beer is drunk, life is good.” — Czech proverb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »
OK,

- In the broadcaster plugin settings make sure that the listening address is set to the correct IP.

- Verify that "Respond to self broadcast" is checked.
- Broadcast zone: 255.255.255.255
- UDP port should be set to 33333 (or another number if you prefer but same on both) on both EG and VC. On VC the setting can be found in Options on the "advanced" tab - "send port"

if it still doesn't work please specify the exact versions you are using for EG and VC.  ('Latest' does not qualify as a version number  :bigno).

Christian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
Hi again James,

As allways, you're the man!

I thought the standard settings for send and recieve was correct, since I can't remember that I've changed them earlier.
I Changed the listen port from 33000 to 33333 but that didn't help, but now I set both send and recieve to 33333 in VC and that gave results.. :)

Thanks again! ::banana
“Wherever beer is brewed, all is well-wherever beer is drunk, life is good.” — Czech proverb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »
You don't want both send and receive using the same port in VC options!

You want VC send port to match the port that EG is listening on.  If you need to send messages in the other direction (i.e. from EG to VC) then VC needs to be listening on the port that EG is sending on.  In this case you can set the port that EG is sending on in the broadcast action in EG.

If VC send and receive are the same, then every time you send a message out from VC to EG, VC will also receive it.  I don't know if this will cause problems, but it is clearly not ideal.

I recommend you change the VC listen port back to 33000 in VC options.  It should still work sending from VC to EG

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Hi James!

One question about all this EG stuff:

Is it possible for VC to send an EvenGhost command to another network computer? As I can see, now VC and EG communicates with each other if they are in the same computer (you are not able to change the IP in the Broadcast plugin of EG), but how can I achieve that my HTPC EG reacts to my Home Server's VC commands? I don't know if it can be done or not, just asking. In case the answer is "no", do you know if it's possible to send commands from one EG to another EG installation (I'm thinking on installing EG also in my Server and that way I can do: tell something to VC -> Generate a Macro in Server's EG -> Send this macro to HTPC's EG -> Execute the macro in HTPC). Am I dreaming?

Many thanks for all your help and keep it up with the good work.

Best regards,

Aitor

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »
udp broadcasts are sent to ALL computers on the LAN.  That is why it is called a broadcast.  You only need to make sure the other computer is listening on the correct port.

In eventghost, when you specify an IP address (in the broadcaster plugin settings) it is only the ip of the network card to listen on, in case you have more than one in your system.  So if EVentGhost sends a broadcast on port 33000, all the computers listening on that port will receive it.  the same is true for VoxCommando.  If VoxCommando executes an EG action, all eventghost machines that are listening to port 33333 will receive the message.

I hope this answers your question, if I am misunderstanding you please let me know.

Edit:  to be more clear, the IP address you set in the EventGhost broadcaster settings is not the IP of the machine you want to listen to.  It is the IP of the machine you are currently running EventGhost on.  If that machine has more than one network card installed, then it will have more than one IP and you will need to pick one to use as the listening device.  Some people might have one network card connected to their LAN (so they should select that one) and another network card that is connected to the WAN ( a router / modem etc. )
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:22:15 PM by jitterjames »

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
udp broadcasts are sent to ALL computers on the LAN.  That is why it is called a broadcast.  You only need to make sure the other computer is listening on the correct port.

In eventghost, when you specify an IP address (in the broadcaster plugin settings) it is only the ip of the network card to listen on, in case you have more than one in your system.  So if EVentGhost sends a broadcast on port 33000, all the computers listening on that port will receive it.  the same is true for VoxCommando.  If VoxCommando executes an EG action, all eventghost machines that are listening to port 33333 will receive the message.

I hope this answers your question, if I am misunderstanding you please let me know.

Edit:  to be more clear, the IP address you set in the EventGhost broadcaster settings is not the IP of the machine you want to listen to.  It is the IP of the machine you are currently running EventGhost on.  If that machine has more than one network card installed, then it will have more than one IP and you will need to pick one to use as the listening device.  Some people might have one network card connected to their LAN (so they should select that one) and another network card that is connected to the WAN ( a router / modem etc. )

Hi James!

I'm so sorry for making you waste your time, you were completely right. I don't understand what I was doing wrong but I've tried again and now my HTPC's EG receives flawlessly the commands that are send from VoxCommando, G R E A T !

Many many thanks again for your help and I hope that, at least, your comment will be useful for anybody that has my same question ;-)

Best regards,

Aitor

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »
no worries :D

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:27:46 AM »
 :bonk soooo ummmm.. I know I am late to this party but I would just like to say thanks to you James (firstly) for the samples. Ive been dreading my scenario that I am getting to. But your examples helped me a great deal! Struggled a bit sending IR code via my USB UIRT but finally realised that silly me I was putting my whole VC command in one line instead of having my IR code in the payloads line :)

In short what I want to do is configure my iRule app with a single GOING TO BED or LEAVING home button and this in turn will turn lighs, tv, aircon etc off but wasnt sure how I would structure macros inside of iRule to do all of this especially seeing as I have a rel mix of items now. USB UIRT in man cave, iTach in living room, VC in man cave and so on. Then I saw one of Mr Wulfs vids (second thanks) that reminded me of eventghost.

after that I found the following youtube vis that Kalle might find very interesting (not usre if you will learn anything new but it got me thinking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuETqnTO_0 all 5 of his videas are very good and touch on a lot of items I was wondering about. Hope this might be useful to someone else

Thanks again