Author Topic: Help with EG  (Read 4632 times)

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Help with EG
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
I'm stuck with getting my first command working with EG. I followed:

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=EventGhost

I've installed and ensured that the Broadcaster plug in is working. I built a command group but I think a  phrase was needed as a last step so I added a tag using "Hudson" as a phrase to be recognized.

When I start up VC, it recognizes "Hudson" with appropriate accuracy, but nothing appears in the EG log. Here is an extact of my voicecommand.xml file.

<commandGroup name="EventGhost" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0">
        <command name="mycommand" enabled="true" confirm="False" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
            <action>
                <cmdType>EventGhost</cmdType>
                <cmdString>hello</cmdString>
                <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
            </action>
            <phrase>hudson</phrase>
        </command>
    </commandGroup>

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Help with EG
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »
It looks like you have set up your command correctly in VoxCommando.

When you issue the voice command, is something showing up in the VoxCommando command history? (left side of the main VC window)

EventGhost should be configured to listen to the same port that VC is set to send on.  The default is 33333.  In EventGhost the broadcaster plugin also needs to be set to the correct ip address for your network card, and should be set to respond to self broadcasts if VoxCommando and Eventghost are running on the same computer.

If that is all set correctly then the only thing that I can think of that might be causing problems is.

1) a firewall or other network issue is blocking the UDP broadcast
2) some other program is already listening on UDP port 33333.  Only one program on a given computer can listen on a port at any given time.
3) you are not connected to a network and may need to use a loopback adapter.

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
Thanks jitterjames- the check box to respond to self broadcasts needed to be checked! All is good.

Now I'm confused re. passing parameters to EG. How do I pass a command/parmeter to launch a EG macro? For example if I had a macro in EG called "Test", I assume that , in the CommandBuilder, the command needs to be EventGhost but what parameters would I use to "launch" the EG macro "Test"? Is there some list of parameters or a synatx that is allowed?

I'm also willing to help out with updating some simple Wiki iinput- are you interested?

Thanks for your support- I'm impressed with your effort so far and will be donating via PayPal as soon as I get the functionality working!

Have you ever looked at Embedded Automation's mControl? (another Canadian startup). They support home automation via X10, Z-wave, Zigbee, etc.- I have done some rudimentaty voice control using their published .Net SDK- but am now looking at VC's functionality instead. Maybe a bridge between VC and mControl would provide some interesting media+home automation possibilities?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Hey DHHJ.  I'm glad that checkbox did the trick.

First off, it sounds like you are new to EventGhost.  You will love it, but you should get familiar with the basic concepts.  check out the short manual here: http://www.eventghost.org/wiki/Short%20Manual

There are two basic ways to send info to event ghost.  One is by sending a basic event, the other is with a payload.  Payloads are more complicated so for now, let's just look at a simple event.

Whatever you put into the parameter field in the VoxCommando command builder will be sent as the event name.  When you speak your command, and VC recognizes it, it should show up in the eventGhost log.  I think you got this far, you have fired the event.  Now you need to assign the event to a macro so that it actually does something.  Just drag the event from the EG log window on the left, into a macro on the right.  Read, the short manual, which will say basically the same thing but will provide additional info.

Once you've got that going we can talk about payloads.

I'm always happy to have people contribute to the wiki.  I am by nature a lazy person, and when I am spending time on VoxCommando, I would much rather be developing new features than working on documentation!

I will take a look at mControl.  Thanks for the heads up. 

btw you can control x10 directly from Voxcommando using the launch command to call ahcmd.exe with parameters.  I toyed with the x10 sdk a bit but it didn't seem worth incorporating it into VC for the few simple x10 commands, when the command line utility seems to work quite well.  By "worth it" I mean, not worth having an extra dll object loaded into memory.  I haven't quite figured out how to convert VC to a plugin architecture (lazy again I suppose).

You can drag the attached xml into your command tree to import it, or open it in the bin (the right side of the command tree editor) and then drag it over to the main tree.

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
Jitterjames- got it!

I thought you could call the macro directly- didn't realize that the VC command triggered an event in EG- duh! I'll update the wiki- let me know if privileges need to be set up.

I'll check out ahcmd.exe and x10automation.xml. Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:35:01 PM »
You should be able to just go to the wiki page and click "create account" at the top right.  Let me know if you run into any road-blocks.

Rojoyinc

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
VC is awesome - (ran it and my amulet remote took off running) wow
I also installed EG (and also awesome) except for (typical missing/poor docs).

anyway - I managed to get IR controls to pass through it and control Media portal... (to just learn it).

Now I want to voice command my amulet into VC then pass to EG to then control some things in MP?

Read the above help, but so far doesn't work.  Is there a  configuration/example  set that I can load and view?
I saw a msg reference one, but there was no link.

I BELIEVE that VC is setup right as well as EG. (when wrong I got a log error in EG) now I don't get an error...
but  the log doesn't seem to get passed anything.
I just see this...  Using "HELP" VC command as a test - it should pass to the log the config text?

Task.Deactivated.EventGhost
Task.Activated.VoxCommando
Task.Deactivated.VoxCommando
Task.Activated.Desktop
Task.Deactivated.Desktop
Task.Activated.EventGhost
Task.Deactivated.EventGhost
Task.Activated.iexplore
Task.Deactivated.iexplore
Task.ClosedWindow.VoxCommando
Task.Activated.iexplore
Task.Deactivated.iexplore

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
it sounds like you are having trouble using VoxCommando to generate events in EventGhost.  Is that correct?

It would help to know what version of VoxCommando you are using, and what version of EventGhost you are using.

If you can try to be a bit more specific in general about what you have done I might be able to help.  There are many factors involved here.  Depending on what version of VoxCommando you have installed, there may not be any eventGhost commands configured, so you would have to set them up yourself.

I recommend that you follow this link as a starting point for EventGhost since it comes with the correct broadcast plugin.
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=356.0