Author Topic: xml file Edit / Merge / Download / Share  (Read 3471 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
xml file Edit / Merge / Download / Share
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:27:37 AM »
sounds good?  ;D

1 - An XML Payoad editor.  This allows you to create lists of "things" that each have 1 "value" and multiple "phrases".  This feature already exists but you have to edit by hand.
2 - I need a browse button in the command tree so you can select your xml payload file.  Currently you have to type the path and filename.

3 - I want to create powerful tools for manipulating the command tree.  Most important is to be able to import and merge a command tree from another file.
4 - I want to set up a selection of files on the site that you can download trees from.  For example, if someone develops a command tree for XBMC with french phrases, they could post it to the site so that others could download it, merge it into their tree and away they go - controlling xbmc in French!

(as a first step - I've added some new context menus in the tree editor.  Cut, Copy, Past, Duplicate, Expand-All etc.  Let me know if I missed anything obvious.

Freddo

• View Profile
Re: xml file Edit / Merge / Download / Share
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
sounds good?  ;D

3 - I want to create powerful tools for manipulating the command tree.  Most important is to be able to import and merge a command tree from another file.

This may not be neccesary, instead, why not apply the ability to use includes, (XBMC uses a method similar to this for it's skins), instead of actually merging files, simply let one file reference another, i.e:

Code: [Select]
<include>/profiles/XBMC.xml</include>

In voicecommands.xml would essentially inject everything from xbmc.xml into the main voicecommands.xml wherever the include line was. This way your users can simply swap out XBMC.xml when a new version is released instead of you having to do a complicated re-merge. This could be represented in the tree editor as a second(or third, fourth, fifth) root node, with all of it's commands nested underneath. Hope that makes sense.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: xml file Edit / Merge / Download / Share
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
sounds great in theory, but a bit tricky to implement (for me anyway).  It wouldn't be too hard to load the commands, but being able to edit, especially drag and drop would be a challenge to program.  I am essentially using includes for my payloadxml, but they can't be directly edited.  At some point, you'll be able to click a payloadxml and choose edit, which will pop up a window to edit it.  So I guess I could do something similar with complete trees that have been included.

It's a good idea.  I'll have to ruminate on it a bit.

Also, I still want to be able to easily export a branch of the tree to either xml or xml text to the clipboard so you can easily post snippets to the forum without having to open the xml in an external editor like notepad++.  It would also be nice if one could paste xml text (that you had copied off the forum) directly into the tree in the same manner.  EventGhost does this and it's very handy.