Author Topic: Ducking  (Read 4415 times)

Tarkus

• View Profile
Ducking
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Are there any ducking options for a jriver configuration using voxwav?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Ducking
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
There is a system level softmute action that could be used (modifies the main volume for your default windows output), but that may not be an option for you depending on how you have JRiver set up.

I could probably add JRiver.SoftMute and JRiver.SoftUnmute actions to the plugin if that would help you.  Perhaps it was an oversight on my part.  I just had to go and check whether those actions were there already, since I don't really use JRiver regularly.

You could also set up something with the existing JRiver.SetVolume action depending on how you generally adjust your volume.  For example, in my home setup I use MediaMonkey and the volume is always either at 90% or 30% (for ducking).  I never use MediaMonkey to adjust my listening volume, because I do that using my Onkyo receiver volume.  The reason I keep MediaMonkey at 90% and not 100% is that it allows my TTS to be heard (barely) even when ducking is not used.

It is possible that I did not include a softmute action for JRiver because the JRiver web interface does not provide any way for us to check the current volume.  Without that ability it is not possible for me to create a proper softmute action, since I need to know the current volume to perform a softmute.  I will need to check.

Tarkus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:35:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply James. I am using jriver thru my default windows device output so the system level softmute action that you mentioned may be an option. How would that be set up? Adding a softmute/unmute action to the plugin if possible would be appreciated. I primarily use jriver because of its web gizmo interface which integrates into my irule control panel nicely. I would also like to figure out how to add a voxwave mic on button to my irule panels. (the tilt option is ok but I prefer a button). I am already sending TTS commands thru irule. eg. Initiating system shutdown, etc...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:47:33 AM by Tarkus »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
There are many examples of using ducking discussed on the forum.  In most cases there is some XML that has been posted.

I can provide you with a sample command, but I need to know how you are using VC.  In particular, what are you using as a microphone setup?

Example:  if you are using an Amulet Microphone, or VoxWav for Android, then you will have access to events which can be used to trigger the ducking.

If you are only using an "always on" microphone, then you probably need to either use a keyboard button, or a remote control to tell it when you want to speak, or you need to use a voice command like "pay attention", or a prefix.  Depending on the scenario the ducking would be set up differently.

There are lots of options.

Tarkus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:49:05 AM »
I am using voxwav.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
Oh yeah, sorry.  I missed the VoxWav part in your original question.   :-[

Hang on, I'll post some XML in a minute.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
by the way if you go back and edit an old post and add a bunch of new information (as you did about irule and voxwav), it won't necessarily be noticed and it helps if you highlight the new content as edited somehow to avoid making subsequent posts by others look quite so stupid!  :biglaugh

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
Try this:

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=XML_on_the_forum

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<commandGroup open="False" name="VoxWav System Ducking" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="1305" name="Softmute On" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>Sound.PartialMute</cmdType>
      <cmdString>50</cmdString>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <event>AV.Mic.On</event>
  </command>
  <command id="1306" name="Softmute Off" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>Sound.PartialUnMute</cmdType>
      <cmdString />
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <event>AV.Mic.Off</event>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

Tarkus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Thanks James that works great! If you have any thoughts on how to initiate a mic on command thru iRule please let me know.

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Sorry, I don't.

You can send actions and events to VoxCommando from iRule, so if you were using a windows microphone you could do a lot, but there is currently no way to send them from iRule to VoxWav.  I tried a few things in the past with no success.

Tarkus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »
Okay, I guess I will stick with the tilt option. It helps that the audio now softmutes as it confirms the mic is active. It makes the tilt option better for me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:11:45 PM by Tarkus »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
VoxWav Pro also has the option of haptic feedback  (vibrate) which I find very useful when using tilt.

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
Hallo Allerseits,

ich reaktiviere mal diesen Thread, und hoffe ich tue nichts Falsches.

Ist es moeglich das Kommando Sound.PartialMute sowie Sound.PartialUnMute mit einer kurzen (per Parameter einstellbaren) Zeit zu versehen in der die Lautstärke geändert wird, damit das nicht so abgehackt wirkt. Ich stelle mir da was im Millisekundenbereich vor.

MFG Chris

p.s Ansonsten funktioniert alles zur vollsten Zufriedenheit

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »
No, sorry.  This is not an option. 

If you really find the transition too jarring then I suppose you could create a series of actions that adjusts the partial mute at different levels to smooth it out, but personally I would prefer a quick transition with a minimum of processing required, especially if it's to be executed every time the microphone is turned on or off.