Author Topic: VoxWav Feature Requests  (Read 2759 times)

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
VoxWav Feature Requests
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
James,

I thought I'll start a new topic for VoxWav-related feature requests. Feel free to move it somewhere else if you think it is not appropriate here.

A new suggestion -

1. For those of us who own multiple Android devices, it would be nice to export/import the phrase-button list between devices.
And what better common location to put the exported data than the samba shared folder that VW itself uses?

So can we have an export phrase-list option which exports the phrases belonging to the currently selected groups (as an XML? or directly as the file that VW uses to store this data) to the wavwatch folder configured within VW, and then an import option (to be used on another device) to add the phrases into VW from the same shared location?

The import can be in one of 2 modes - overwrite and merge (with de-duplication)

2. Minor suggestion - It will be good to show the VW version somewhere within the app. Presently, we're having to go to the Android "Manage Apps" screen to see it.

-Ajith

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: VoxWav Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »
3. Here I am revisiting something I mentioned earlier:

Now that you have built a very good filtering capability for the phrases, can we not have all the phrases auto-populated in VW from VC directly, without speaking all of it?

All we need is an export of all possible/enabled group phrases from VC into the "wavwatch" folder and let the import function (see request #1) take care of getting it into VW :)

Being able to export phrases of only "Enabled Groups" from VC would be important because we may want to prevent large number of phrases like "Play Song <Song_Name>" from being imported into VW.

If this were not possible or deemed not necessary, would it be possible for you to provide a way to dump a csv of all possible phrases with their Group-Names from VC?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
Thanks for starting the new topic  :)

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I don't know if this can already be done, but is it possible to use VoxWav over wan. I would like to use maybe dyndns. If so can we add a way to switch between more than one host in VOX. I would like to use local lan when I am home but then use dyndns when I am away. I don't have a static wan IP .

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
You should be able to send your audio data over the WAN by forwarding the correct tcp port (33339) in your router's firewall to the machine running VC.  The problem is that the responses you get back for what was recognized, the TTS messages, OSD messages and alternates are all sent from VC using UDP which broadcasts to the local LAN.  I'm not sure there is much that can be done about this.

It is possible to easily switch between hosts if you are using VoxWav Pro.  Click "Hosts" then "Edit Hosts".  Enter each VC host on a line by itself in the format

NAME=IPADDRESS:PORT:MACADDRESS

Port and mac address are optional.  Mac address is used to Wake the host PC using WOL but this will only work on the local network.

example:

BigBertha=192.168.0.102::8A-4F-4F-B7-C4-A1

You can also quick switch hosts on the local lan only with either VoxWav Pro or VoxWav Free by click "Hello" or "Send Hello Message" and then clicking on whichever IPs show up, but this only works for machines that are awake and running VC so they can respond to the "hello" message and this is all done on UDP.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
Thank you very much for the info.
My firewall has openVPN support, so if I can set it up correctly them maybe I can tunnel into my network and use VoxWav that way.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
Sounds good.  Please let us know if you get it working.  I was going to suggest the possibility of a VPN but I have never set one up and don't know that much about them so I figured I better not!

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:28:46 AM »
I currently use Witopia (https://www.witopia.net/) as my VPN provider and I found a nice android app called FEAT VPN ( http://www.featvpn.com/) which works with witopia and also openVPN. I use FEAT to manage all my connections. I use pfSence as my firewall, it supports openVPN and from googling around it seems simple enough to setup.

I was also thinking of seeing if i can ssh tunnel into my pfSence box using the android sshtunnel app. If that works them maybe I can forward the VoxWav ports over ssh and access VC that way. If this works then a VPN would not be needed, should be an interesting experiment.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
I'll take your word for it  :biglaugh

good luck.  ;D