Author Topic: VoxWav First Demo  (Read 15854 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
VoxWav First Demo
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Coming soon to an Android near you!  The first demo of using an Android as a microphone for VoxCommando with our special app that taps into the accelerometer to turn the mic on when you lift it.

&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: get the code, report bugs, request features etc.  here: http://code.google.com/p/voxwav/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:18:01 AM by jitterjames »

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
Re: VoxMic First Demo
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
Cool James, congratulations, well done.
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
Thanks.  So far so good.  Though it has been a lot of work.  It is always fun to learn new stuff, especially when you are able to accomplish something.

So now I am thinking I may either have two apps, or possibly two modes in a single app.

one for sending audio, and one that does recognition using google and then sends the text to voxcommando (or does other things directly)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:34:21 AM »
Coming soon to an Android near you!  The first demo of using an Android as a microphone for VoxCommando with our special app that taps into the accelerometer to turn the mic on when you lift it.

&feature=youtu.be
congratulations, seems better than "Mobilio headset" for iOS.  :clap
***********  get excited and make things  **********

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:08:38 AM »
Thank You.

Cant wait to test this some day.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

Siutsch

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »
Cool!  :clap

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »
That's great James!

I'm interested in your comment about 2 modes. Are you thinking that one would use Google for recognition and the other just sending audio to VC? Have you figured how to overcome the WiFi quality issues?

I have both a ICS phone and tablet so I'm hoping for an early XMAS present ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
I'm interested in your comment about 2 modes. Are you thinking that one would use Google for recognition and the other just sending audio to VC? Have you figured how to overcome the WiFi quality issues?
Yes.  In some cases you may want to automate some tasks directly from the tablet.  Perhaps, just as an example, your VC machine is sleeping.  It would be nice to use a voice command to wake it up.  Or maybe you want to adjust the screen brightness of your tablet.  There is really no need to use VC on the PC for this.  There may also be situations where you want to use multiple languages.  Maybe you use English engine on the PC-VC but you want to be able to do web searches in German.  In that case you could use the German recognizer from Google and send text results.  There are a lot of possibilities and of course it will take a long time to sort them all out into something that makes sense and can adapt to different users's needs.  My head is flooded with ideas right now so I am just trying to concentrate on the basics to get something out the door that people can test.

There is no wifi issue now.   We are transferring an uncompressed 16 bit 44KHz mono wav from the android to the PC using Samba file sharing.  That means that you will need to enter a network path, and credentials to allow you to access the files on the PC that is running VC.

I am having some sound issues that I can't explain but they are more related to my lack of understanding about Wav files (and perhaps the android hardware) than to WIFI.  Sound quality seems to be excellent on my tablet, but there is often static at the beginning of the wav file and sometimes at the end.  I'm not sure where it is coming from, or how to get rid of it.  I imagine I will sort it out eventually, but as  you can see from the demo it may not be an issue for some users.  it seems to be working reliably from my tablet.

The only actual WIFI related issue that I am having, which may vary from one device (or android OS) to another is that (on my ICS tab anyway), I can't send wifi when the screen is off and I have no way of turning the screen on either.  This stuff seems to be locked down by google, at least on ICS.  Actually I can send over wifi when the screen is off, but it is super slow.  It is possible that this is due to the CPU being in a low power state, but I am pretty sure it is because the WIFI is in a lower power state.  I have the exact same problem trying to stream audio from my android to my Onkyo.  Works fine with the screen on, but when the screen goes off, the audio immediately starts to stutter.

I have both a ICS phone and tablet so I'm hoping for an early XMAS present ;D
It will be a very early present, though probably a buggy one.  Stay tuned because I am hoping to release some tests very soon. :)

painy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Cool! Can't wait to try this :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
check your emails.  If you did not receive the app contact me, and make sure to install 0.956

:D

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »
Will test VoxMic as soon as I receive the app.
I'm guessing that this solution will not have any "wake-up delay" issues like the Amulet remote. That one irks me everytime I lift the remote and speak into it, only to find out that my command hasn't fully been transmitted to VoX!

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
Dude.  You really are a genius of epic proportions.  I will be trying this tonight if I get back from Band Practice with enough time.

Will report back.

If it's helpful I can try it on Galaxy s2 with Resurection remix ROM, HTC DesireHD with MIUI ROM, and HTC desire (Bravo) with MIUI ROM.  is that helpful or have you got it covered?

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Will test VoxMic as soon as I receive the app.
I'm guessing that this solution will not have any "wake-up delay" issues like the Amulet remote. That one irks me everytime I lift the remote and speak into it, only to find out that my command hasn't fully been transmitted to VoX!

OK, you should have it.  In my tests so far the response is pretty much instant from lifting to speaking. After you speak and lower the android, there is a small delay, while it copies the file across the network. The time it takes is proportional to the the amount of time that the mic was on.  I am using wireless g and it is still very fast. N might be faster.

I will probably include an option to record at either 22khz or 44khz. For now it's 44.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

If it's helpful I can try it on Galaxy s2 with Resurection remix ROM, HTC DesireHD with MIUI ROM, and HTC desire (Bravo) with MIUI ROM.  is that helpful or have you got it covered?
I am new to android.  The more devices and is versions we can test on the better.  :bignod

By the way, the current minimum for VoxWav is android 2.2

Only one person surveyed had 2.1 or lower. Hopefully that person either had multiple androids, or is able to upgrade.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
I just tried it, following the instructions in the email you sent, James.
The app isn't able to see the shared folder, despite me being able to access the share from another machine, using the username and password I had setup. It gives a "Unable to copy wav to shared folder. Please check your settings. The network name cannot be found." error.

Edit: I deleted the share and recreated it with another name (changing the settings in voxwav) and tried with another user who has no password set (so, left the password field blank in voxwav), and it now gives a "logon failure" error. Is a password mandatory? What am I doing wrong?

One thing I observed is that it took a while, close to 8 seconds for the logon prompt to come up when I tried to access the share from the other machine. So could this be a timeout issue in voxwav?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:52:53 AM by ajith »