Author Topic: CAD Audio U7 USB boundary microphone review  (Read 24837 times)

abrenoch

• View Profile
CAD Audio U7 USB boundary microphone review
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
I just wanted to share my experience using the 'CAD Audio U7 USB boundary microphone' with voxcommando.

The microphone retails for about $70 depending on where you get it from of course, but I happen to get very lucky and found one new on eBay for $26.00 shipped.  I was VERY close to buying an amulet remote, but I figured for the price I would give this a shot.

Upon plugging the microphone in, Windows 7 detected and installed everything on it's own which is always a great relief.  It came with a decent length wire (10') but for my specific needs I bought a 30' USB repeater wire (about $13) to run it to a more convenient place. The microphone it's self is pretty sensitive, as it is designed to be placed on a table during meeting, it will pick-up sound from basically any direction including the vibrations from whatever surface it is placed upon.  There are 'hang holes' (for the wall) on the back of the small pyramid along with a soft rubber grip across the entire bottom, overall the build quality is nothing less than excellent. I decided to give this a shot by hanging it on the wall directly behind my couch. While being behind be isn't the best placement, it does manage to pick up most of what I am saying.  Since I use my android phone to control XBMC otherwise, talking 'against' the screen like the phone was on speaker mode actually bounces my voice back behind me directly to the microphone which not only greatly increases accuracy, but also creates the illusion that my phone is handling the voice commands (this amused me more than it should have). One issue I have noticed is it will tend to pick up audio or conversations and treat them as commands when they are not, but I have remedied this by making the 'listen' command "Computer start listening" to avoid unintended triggers.  There are a few other commands I occasionally have issues with, but all of them can be remedied by tweaking voxcommando.

At the end of the day, I thought the strange little triangle on my wall would feel intrusive, but it now feels like it belongs where it is and it ACTUALLY GETS USED! I can't tell you how many times my hands were full or I was eating and didn't want to dirty-up my touch screen and this thing has performed fantastically.

PROS:
-Well priced (I got a very good deal, but honestly for the price this feels like a professional piece of equipment)
-Accurate
-Solid as a rock
-USB
-No additional drivers needed
-Omnidirectional
-PC/MAC compatibility (not too relevant here, but good to know)
-Low profile and sleek design

CONS:
-The little blue LED light is actually pretty bright and BLINKS while the microphone is listening. Fixed with a small piece of electrical tape.
-Sometimes a little sensitive and gives unintended results, but basically all can be fixed with software adjustments.

Hope this helps anybody looking into purchasing a microphone! Keep an eye on eBay for them, one can usually be scooped for about $40.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: CAD Audio U7 USB boundary microphone review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »
Thanks muchly for the thorough report.  I am considering it.  Unfortunately for me I would have to tack on $25 to ship it to Canada.  I'll be adding this to the wiki for sure.  :)

edit: thorough, and amusing.  I can almost see you bouncing your voice off your android into your space-age wall speaker. :biglaugh
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:36:43 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
Here's what I've got so far for microphones on the wiki

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Microphones

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:17:26 AM »
Do you have tried with music or other noises (movie on TV) in backround? When this works good with VC, boundary mic's are an affordable solution.
I've tried many microphones (SAMSON USB-GOmic, Andrea Superbeam Array ...) all works fine with a quiet backround even from a distance, but when music or movie playing in backround ) also when you use the "prefix mode", they pick all up - you can forget this mic's, the confidence for VoxCommando is to bad.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

abrenoch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
Do you have tried with music or other noises (movie on TV) in backround? When this works good with VC, boundary mic's are an affordable solution.
I've tried many microphones (SAMSON USB-GOmic, Andrea Superbeam Array ...) all works fine with a quiet backround even from a distance, but when music or movie playing in backround ) also when you use the "prefix mode", they pick all up - you can forget this mic's, the confidence for VoxCommando is to bad.

Kalle

This particular mic is supposedly "tailored for response from vocal frequencies" (sounds more like marketing buzz words to me) and it behaves moderately well while playing music or videos, but I do certainly have to speak over the sound to get a decent response when things are a little louder.  I would suppose living in an apartment help because my neighbors complain when I turn anything up too loud.. But leaning back towards the mic on the wall and speaking in to it almost always works just fine. 

Not quite the advantages the amulet has, but works better than I was expecting it to originally.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Ok, thanks for your response and for the good description.  8)

Kalle

Dje69r

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:35 AM »
Hi

Can i use two CAD Audio U7 in same time on one computer with two instances of VoxCommando ?
For example, one mic in my kitchen and the other in the living room ?

Or, how can i do to control my home wherever i am. In fact i would like to have as many microphones as there are rooms in my house...

Sorry for my bad english language, i'm french...  ;D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:03 AM »
Hi

Can i use two CAD Audio U7 in same time on one computer with two instances of VoxCommando ?
For example, one mic in my kitchen and the other in the living room ?

Or, how can i do to control my home wherever i am. In fact i would like to have as many microphones as there are rooms in my house...

Sorry for my bad english language, i'm french...  ;D
Hi Dje69r, welcome in VC-Forum.
Yes you can. (with restrictions)
you must start a first instance of VC and then set (in "VC-Optionsmenü - Systemtab - "Windows Sound Settings" - Recording) the mic that you want to use with this instances of VoxCommando to "standard" and restart VoxCommando. Do not close or set to OFF-Mode this instance of VC .
Start a other instance of VC and make the same with a other mic and restart this instance of VC - here the same , do not close or set to OFF-Mode this instance of VC .
There is one bad problem, this solution works TEMPORARY - when you set any instances of VC to OFF or restart again, then set Windows the mic for both instances to the "standard mic", so I can say this solution is not practicable.

Kalle

PS: There is a other way to use many differend mic with one instance of VC at the same time - when you use the programm "VirtualAudioCable". Information for this programm you can find here: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
The VAC has a "Audio Repeater", that you allowed to stream audiodata from many different inputs to one output at the same time. When you have questions for this solution, tell me and I would help to config.

Seems to me your plan for a USB microphone unsuitable, consider the length of the USB cable. I'm not sure for how many feet working the usb correctly. A wireless microphone would be the better choice, but also more expensive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:19:18 AM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
I agree, you must use VAC or something like that if you want to use multiple usb microphones.  the other option would be to use multiple analog microphones connected to a mixer of some kind so that only one line is sent to the computer.

By using VAC you can send multiple microphones to a single running instance of VoxCommando.  Another option would be to run VoxCommando on multiple machines, each with their own microphone.

If you want to use Kalle's first suggestion, you will probably need to set up some kind of batch file to automate the process of changing the default input device and then launching an instance of VoxCommando.  Note that if you ever put VC into off mode, (red) it will disconnect from the microphone and when you go back into on or standby mode it will attach to the default microphone.

Dje69r

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
Thank for yours answers Kalle and jitterjames.

The length of the USB cable isn't a real problem. I have 10m usb extender and it works good but you're right, the default mic of windows is a problem. With some batch or vbs script, i think it's possible to solve that. I don't examine that for the moment.

I would have realy 6 microphones for my house. 3 for the bedrooms (one in each bedroom), 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the living room and the last for the bathroom or the corridor.

The mixer table, with only one instance of VC seems to have some problems when me and my wife speak in same time. For example, me in the living room and my wife in the kitchen. Or may i have to use differents profiles in VC. I thought to use two instances of VC to solve this problem, i'm not right ?

The VAC solution seems to be a good issue, i have to examine that. I thought VAC was only for virtual mic and use with Skype or something like that.
Have you some references of wireless mic ? (inexpensive as possible :) )

Thx.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
VAC does just what the name implies.  It creates virtual wires.  You can connect inputs and outputs as you like.  Imagine your microphone is one end of the wire and VoxCommando is the other end.  You can have multiple wires, all attached to VC at one end and each attached to a different microphone at the other end.

If you only buy one wireless microphone, the amulet is currently your best bet.  It is just over $100 with the VoxCommando coupon code.  Other options can be found on this forum.  Kalle has reviewed a wireless adapter that you can plug any microphone into and there is a plantronics voyager headset that has been reported to work well.

If you are going to do multi-room wiring with analog microphones, I think you should do some googling around other sites.  There are devices with gates that will detect sound on one microphone and automatically mute all others.  I'm sorry I don't know exactly what this is called, and I have not actually tried it since my budget for microphones is quite limited.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
Thank for yours answers Kalle and jitterjames.

The length of the USB cable isn't a real problem. I have 10m usb extender and it works good but you're right, the default mic of windows is a problem. With some batch or vbs script, i think it's possible to solve that. I don't examine that for the moment.

I would have realy 6 microphones for my house. 3 for the bedrooms (one in each bedroom), 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the living room and the last for the bathroom or the corridor.

The mixer table, with only one instance of VC seems to have some problems when me and my wife speak in same time. For example, me in the living room and my wife in the kitchen. Or may i have to use differents profiles in VC. I thought to use two instances of VC to solve this problem, i'm not right ?

The VAC solution seems to be a good issue, i have to examine that. I thought VAC was only for virtual mic and use with Skype or something like that.
Have you some references of wireless mic ? (inexpensive as possible :) )

Thx.
The VAC is a prog. that can handle and create virtual AudioInputs/Outputs. It is, as you have many, many soundcards in your pc and you can use it all at the same time. The In/Output in VAC is call as VirtualAudioLine and a small feature in the prog is, that it have a AudioRepeater. With it you can map any Input/Output to every other Input/Ouput.
Example: You Create a VirtualOutput in VAC (VirtualAudioCable) and start six instances of Audiorepeater. In each Audiorepeater you can select a installed mic as input and as ouput the VirtualLineOut. In VC you can select in "Optionmenü - Systemtab - Recording" the VirtualAudioLine as "standard mic". VAC map all Inputs from different mic's to VirtualLineOut and VC can pic this. I have tested with three mic's and it works, but don't forget, all mic's pic all voices in each room at the same time, I will say, when your wife in the kitchen speak and you at the same time in the livingroom VoxCommando pic it all.

Kalle
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:08:24 AM by Kalle »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
VAC does just what the name implies.  It creates virtual wires.  You can connect inputs and outputs as you like.  Imagine your microphone is one end of the wire and VoxCommando is the other end.  You can have multiple wires, all attached to VC at one end and each attached to a different microphone at the other end.

If you only buy one wireless microphone, the amulet is currently your best bet.  It is just over $100 with the VoxCommando coupon code.  Other options can be found on this forum.  Kalle has reviewed a wireless adapter that you can plug any microphone into and there is a plantronics voyager headset that has been reported to work well.

If you are going to do multi-room wiring with analog microphones, I think you should do some googling around other sites.  There are devices with gates that will detect sound on one microphone and automatically mute all others.  I'm sorry I don't know exactly what this is called, and I have not actually tried it since my budget for microphones is quite limited.
James it called Automatic mixer: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm410-4-channel-automatic-mixer , but very expensive.

Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »
I am "shure" there are cheaper solutions out there...  :D

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
This is a very interesting thread!

I, too, am interested in multi-room VC. I appreciate that it may take analogue mics plus mixer, or maybe stationary wireless mics (how about x Amulets mounted in some sort of in-wall enclosure?!). But I am interested in working on a lower cost solution, other than a "shure" solution. By using different voice profiles, I see this system moving towards whole home audio, video, PC and automation control.

With the recent press on SpeakToIt and Siri, I see VC becoming a front end in a home infotainment solution. Am I dreaming or with some forum help, could we find some way to accomplishment this?