Author Topic: Version 0.86  (Read 24955 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Version 0.86
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »
I just wanted to let everyone know, that although I have been pretty quiet recently, I am working on some pretty significant changes to the program.

When I am done I will post them to this forum topic.

There are some flaws in the microsoft speech engine and I am having to work at a relatively low level to get around them.  It has been up and down for the last few days, but I am making progress. When I am finished, I hope to be able to offer:

1) significantly faster load times.  Currently if you have a large music or video database VoxCommando can take quite a long time to start up.  For some people it can take even more than a minute.  The new version will hopefully be able to load in seconds.  Even with a very large database (i.e 20 to 30 thousand songs) it should load in less than 10 seconds on a decent computer.  There is one caveat.  Whenever you make changes to your commands, or use GenXML you will need to do a full refresh.  This process can take quite a long time (e.g. over 5 minutes if you have > 20,000 songs).  Eventually I hope to be able to run this as a background process so that you can keep using VC during music updates.  Also, at some point I may find a way to keep track of what has changed and only update that part, but it is harder than it sounds.

2) larger GenXML files supported.  Currently the engine will simply stop responding if you try to load too many songs.  This happens somewhere above 10 thousand songs depending on your library.  I do not know what the new limit will be but it will probably be above 30 thousand.  (I have done a partial test with 31000 successfully)

An unrelated new feature that I will probably include in version 0.86 is the ability to check gmail atoms.  The gmail atoms can tell you how many new messages you have, who they are from, their subject lines, and a small part of the message itself.  I am not planning on supporting other email via pop at this time.  Maybe in the future, but not any time soon.

OK Here is it.  This is a patch to update your existing VC.

- Make a copy of your existing VC folder
- Unzip the contents of the attached file into the new folder.

I have changed a lot of internal code.  There could some major bugs so keep your original folder in a safe place!

Attachments removed... there is a newer version
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:32:13 PM by jitterjames »

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
Re: Version 0.86
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
Wow, amazing...good work
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »
Hi James,

I think a Christmas gift for the hard work is due. Look to your Paypal account. Reached at least for a few pizzas and some beer for a long time one or another long night for programming.

Greetings Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
Hi James,

I think a Christmas gift for the hard work is due. Look to your Paypal account. Reached at least for a few pizzas and some beer for a long time one or another long night for programming.

Greetings Kalle
Whoa, Kalle.

Big spender! 8)  Thank you very much for your generosity.  I will put most of it towards coffee to aid in the development process... ;)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:57:11 AM by jitterjames »

Diabl0570

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »
nice!
patiently waiting for the update.

good work James!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »
James,

it is possible in the new version, add a command to restart?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »
Yes!  Actually there will probably be two.  A quick restart and a full restart.

Although I'm not 100% sure there will be any use for the quick restart.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
Yes!  Actually there will probably be two.  A quick restart and a full restart.

Although I'm not 100% sure there will be any use for the quick restart.

An automatic restart, or a warning if you want to leave the editor would be great, I forgot to save even more time and had to re-enter all commands  :'(

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »
sounds like two different things.

I have made the mistake of cancelling an edit myself a few times.  I do not want to auto save because if you make a mistake, then cancel is your friend.

I would like to keep track to know if any changes have been made to the tree, but it is actually hard to do because there are about 20 different ways to change it and I would need to write code for each one.  I know if I try to do this I will end up with bugs.  It is now further complicated by the fact that we have the bin.

Maybe the best solution is to make it always save no matter what, but to make a backup.  I can then add a retore backup button.

This has nothing to do with restarting though...

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
sounds like two different things.

I have made the mistake of cancelling an edit myself a few times.  I do not want to auto save because if you make a mistake, then cancel is your friend.

I would like to keep track to know if any changes have been made to the tree, but it is actually hard to do because there are about 20 different ways to change it and I would need to write code for each one.  I know if I try to do this I will end up with bugs.  It is now further complicated by the fact that we have the bin.

Maybe the best solution is to make it always save no matter what, but to make a backup.  I can then add a retore backup button.

This has nothing to do with restarting though...

You're right, an automatic storage can sometimes cause harm. I just asked a popup window in which it is: you want to leave the editor without saving?  Buttons: Now save, exit without saving or cancel

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
we have separate save buttons for the main tree and the bin, so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

what is the difference between "exit without saving" and "cancel"?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
OK.  I think I have figured this out.  I am hoping to get the next version out today!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
we have separate save buttons for the main tree and the bin, so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

what is the difference between "exit without saving" and "cancel"?

Ok James, here an example:

exit without saving = abort CommandTreeEditor to Voxcommando

Cancel = back to CommandTreeEditor (to make other changes)

save = save all Commands and exit to Voxcommando

see the picture, there is an example

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
aha!  yep, that is pretty much what I did.  I figured out a way to detect if the tree changed.  As far as the bin goes, though you are on your own!  (i.e. if you forget to save it it's too bad for you!)

ok final testing and I'm uploading 086 patch...

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
aha!  yep, that is pretty much what I did.  I figured out a way to detect if the tree changed.  As far as the bin goes, though you are on your own!  (i.e. if you forget to save it it's too bad for you!)

ok final testing and I'm uploading 086 patch...

Thank you, my drawings are better than my English  8). I try as little as possible to use the Google translator, it is the only way to improve my English  ::)

Kalle