Author Topic: Amulet Voice Remote  (Read 73215 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Amulet Voice Remote
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
I believe that I have found the best solution yet, for those who do not wish to wear a headset.

The Amulet Voice Remote, is a Windows Media Center compatible infrared remote, with a built in wireless microphone.  The remote comes with software for controlling Window Media Center using voice commands (English commands only at the moment) but the device works extremely well with VoxCommando.

I have been working with the developers of this device to further enhance the functionality by taking advantage of information about the status of the microphone.  The Amulet Remote automatically switches the microphone on when you hold it upright (as in up to your mouth) and then switches off when you lower it.  When the microphone is active a red light turns on to let you know that it is working.

After a short period of not touching the remote, the wireless connection will automatically shut down and the backlit keys will turn off in order to save battery life.  The status of the microphone can be used to control the state of VoxCommando and optionally can also be used to lower the master volume of your pc.  This combination of features means that you can virtually eliminate the problem of false commands, even if you are listening to music or watching video at very high sound levels.  When the remote is lying on the table, the microphone will be off, and so will VoxCommando, which will prevent any wasted CPU cycles.

Here is a sample video showing the idea:

you can find more information about the remote and their WMC software on the manufacturer's website:
http://www.amuletdevices.com/

More info to come...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:52:25 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amulet Voice Remote
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
I have had the opportunity to communicate with Eddy at Amulet Devices via email and ask him some questions.   Here is part of our conversation:

Q: I notice there are two holes next to the stop button, presumably for the microphone.  Does it use some kind of "microphone-array" technology to filter out background noise?

A: The two holes beside the stop button are indeed for the mic (or rather, one of them is; the other one is a dummy for aesthetic purposes, so it doesn't look unbalanced). There is no microphone array; a microphone array is most useful for electronic direction setting, and we have the luxury of not needing that as the physical operation ensures optimal mic direction and distance setting.

Q: What is the expected range for the RF connection.  I will test this myself, but I'm wondering what your data says on this.

A: Our range is ~90 feet in free space; less if travelling through walls etc. (At home, I find I can easily use the Amulet from the kitchen two rooms away from the living room where the Media Center is, though I lose the connection at the far end of the kitchen. I feed my Media Center into a Sonos multi-room audio system, so it's nice to be able to control the music I'm listening to in the kitchen by voice.)

Q: If one were to leave the remote upright (i.e. microphone on) how long would the battery be expected to last when new and fully charged.

A: We've measured 3-4 hours of continuous operation for the mic/link -- the battery is quite powerful for its size. However, the product isn't designed to operate with an open channel while noise is present. It’s designed to be used only when there is someone talking, i.e. tilt to talk. If we had to operate in an environment while it’s constantly on, we would do things different (e.g. force a command prefix keyword), but operating constantly on is not a mode we recommend.

A: Re hands-free operation, we've had some internal discussions about follow-on products that use alternative types of operation...

Q: What can you tell me about the RF connection w.r.t. sound transmission.  Frequency, compression etc.

A: We send uncompressed audio over a 2.4 Ghz link, with lots of proprietary forward error correction and interference avoidance smarts; the link will dynamically frequency hop as needed in realtime to avoid new sources of interference that come online.

Q: Have you done any drop tests? 

A: It's designed to withstand drop test from waist height (not the waist height of a midget ;-)  We had some minor issues with the original case design that were picked up in the initial drop tests, and have since been addressed by adding strengthening struts in a few key places. On a personal note, my prototype Amulet has been fairly well abused by my 2 year-old (not intentionally on my part, but he's hard to stop!) and is still continuing to tick along just fine. Also several falls from couch height onto a wooden floor with no ill effects, though obviously we don't recommend this!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
Here is a sample recorded using windows sound recorder with the Amulet Remote acting as the recording device.  Throughout the recording I walk to the other end of the house and back.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
James, por US$ 259,00 este é um controle remoto com voz interessante, mas um tanto caro, de todos os que você já utilizou o Amulete Remote foi o de melhor desempenho pelo que entendi, consegues explicar porque ele funciona tão bem,
ou seja, qual o segredo dessa eficiência (pulo do gato)..você recomenda a compra dele para uso com o voxcommando, eu gostaria de um vídeo seu usando este controle, para ter uma idéia melhor da usabilidade do mesmo.

Abraços
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:36:34 PM by Wanilton »
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »
Hi Wanilton.  The cost is relatively high, and I understand that it will cost even more in Brazil.  I am just trying to provide the information available so that people can decide for themselves.  I included a link to a video demo in the first post.  In my second post, I attached a sound file recorded using the microphone.

The 3 main advantages of this device are as follows:

1 - a wireless remote that does not use bluetooth, with a range of up to 90 feet.  This means you can have the remote close to your mouth.  This is much better than a microphone that picks up everything in the room.  If a solution like the ps3eye works well for you, then great, but most people will find that it picks up too much other sound from people in your house, or the sound coming from your home theatre speakers.

2 - it turns on when you hold it up and turns off when you put it down.  This saves the battery, and prevents unwanted commands when you are not using it.

3 - it includes a good quality MCE infrared remote with back-lit buttons.  There are a few buttons that can "learn" codes and be used to control your tv volume etc. and the rest can be remapped if you want, using eventGhost.  Thus, properly configured this one device could theoretically replace all your microphones and remotes, especially if you have a MCE receiver capable of re-blasting ir signals to other devices.  I am actually waiting for an IR receiver to arrive in the mail so I have not tested this aspect of the remote but I assume it will be fine.

I agree that the cost is quite high, but when you compare it to other non-bluetooth wireless microphones it is not that bad.

Please note that I am not telling anyone that they should buy the remote.  I don't want anyone to get mad at me if they buy it and decide that they don't like it.  I personally think it is very well designed and it appears to be high quality.  I am not being paid to endorse the product, but I was given a free unit to test and develop VoxCommando to take advantage of its features.  I expect and hope that the price for this product will come down over time, and that other similar devices will be developed in the coming years.

In terms of pure recognition accuracy, my $30 wired Logitech headset still works as well (probably better) for speech recognition.  Unfortunately a wired headset is not a practical solution unless you are sitting at your desk, and even a wireless headset is not comfortable to wear for long periods.  This device seems like a good compromise for someone in a home-theatre situation, where you would likely need a remote anyway, and it is something that you can hand to your guests so that they can play with it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:35:08 PM by jitterjames »

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:35 AM »
Hi folks,

Eddy from Amulet Devices here. James has done a good (and quick) job integrating Amulet support in VoxCommando; I'm impressed with how well the auto volume ducking works.

I don't have anything to add to James' comments above, other than to say I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and am happy to answer any specific Amulet-related questions people may have.

If any other forum members decide to give Amulet a try, l'd love to hear how you get on.

abom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:35:08 AM »
Nice review, I think it's a great product and if I didn't already have a universal remote, I would definately consider getting an Amulet. Unfortunately, I can't justify the price for just the mic functionality. I will definately keep an eye on the Amulet, hoping it might drop abit in price, and other products from them.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 05:42:48 AM »
Eddy,

Who monitors the work of James, you know he is fast and efficient, but even I was surprised yesterday to see the video, as was the perfect integration of vox with the control of Amulet, I would like to test or buy your product, tell me what I need to do this, I have published the work of James in Brazil, because I think that will be voxcommando absolute success in the near future, in fact between us forum users is already successful, I post HTFORUM, a brazilian forum about audio and video,
http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/144704-Usando-Comando-de-voz-para-controlar-seu-midia-center-com-%C3%AAnfase-no-XBMC-Vers%C3%A3o-Dharma. I'll post soon a topic talking about the integration of amulet voice  control with the voxcommando, videos etc.

PS: here we go, look my post: http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/144704-Usando-Comando-de-voz-para-controlar-seu-midia-center-com-ênfase-no-XBMC-Versão-Dharma?p=2778286&viewfull=1#post2778286

As for the control itself, I found amazing, it seemed powerful and well finished, the sensational idea of integrating a powerful microphone in it,

Wanilton
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:09:00 AM by Wanilton »
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Wanilton,

Thanks for the positive comments. While we don't yet have a distributor in Brazil, we should definitely be able to ship you a unit. I will PM you separately with details.

While our own bundled software (which we like :-) only supports Media Center, and only the English Language at the moment, VoxCommando supports a wider range of applications and also additional languages, so we're very happy to make Amulet available to as many VoxCommando users as possible.

Also, an additional comment on the IR learning that James mentioned above: as well as the standard Media Center reprogrammable buttons (TV Power, Vol +/-), we also allow any of the other remote buttons to be trained to a new setting via IR learning. There are four device keymaps (corresponding to the four coloured buttons at the bottom of the remote) so you can use one keymap for TV, another for set-top box, etc. -- plus the fifth default keymap of Media Center. The TV Power & Vol +/- keys punch-through to all the keymaps, while the other buttons are trained individually for each keymap. So, Amulet can also act as a replacement for at least the basic functions on your other device remote controls.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
that's awesome.  I misunderstood how these keymaps work.  Let me just clarify then.

I can use the coloured circle buttons on the bottom of the remote to change "modes".  In each mode I can remap almost any button on the remote to submit any learned code from any of my other remotes.

Question 1: To use a new mode, do I press a coloured button and then I am in a new mode until another coloured button is pressed, or do they work as modifiers, pressed in combination with other keys. (like shift and ctrl on a keyboard).  You said the 5th default keymap was for media center so I guess that implies that buttons are pressed in combination.  Which makes sense anyway since otherwise it would be hard to know what mode you were in...

Question 2: If I accidentally run down my remote batteries to the point where the remote no longer works, or if I need to remove the battery for some reason (not really necessary since the remote can be charged via usb), will I subsequently need to reprogram all my keys?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:19:12 PM by jitterjames »

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Hello Eddy, WOW, thanks for the news, I will await your instructions.

James, quando tiver oportunidade visite o tópico do uso do Amulet Voice Remoto com o voxcommando, no momento estou trabalhando muito para lançarmos até final do mês mais uma versão da SKIN Aeon MQ2,
eis o link caso não tenha ainda visto, upei seu vídeo para o You Tube para facilitar a divulgação:

http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/144704-Usando-Comando-de-voz-para-controlar-seu-midia-center-com-%C3%AAnfase-no-XBMC-Vers%C3%A3o-Dharma?p=2778286&viewfull=1#post2778286

abraços

Wanilton
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

FLuX0r

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
James, thanks for the review.
As allways, your video is very nice.   8)

This new remote is a very interesting idea.
Without your report I had not known that such a device exists.

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »
Hi James,

I can use the coloured circle buttons on the bottom of the remote to change "modes".  In each mode I can remap almost any button on the remote to submit any learned code from any of my other remotes.
Yep, that's pretty much it. Buttons you don't remap remain at their original Media Center defaults, regardless of which keymap is active. So, if you configure the red keymap for TV codes, but don't redefine the transport controls like Play, Pause, etc, they will continue to send Media Center codes, which is quite handy.

Question 1: To use a new mode, do I press a coloured button and then I am in a new mode until another coloured button is pressed, or do they work as modifiers, pressed in combination with other keys.
They work the first way: when you select a keymap, it remains active until you switch to a different keymap. Pressing the Media Center Start button always returns to the Media Center keymap. (We did consider going with the modifier approach, but found it too cumbersome for regularly used device features.)

Question 2: If I accidentally run down my remote batteries to the point where the remote no longer works, or if I need to remove the battery for some reason (not really necessary since the remote can be charged via usb), will I subsequently need to reprogram all my keys?
No, we store the learnt codes in EEPROM, so they persist even if the battery runs out.

There's more detail about this and other aspects of the learning capability in Chapters 5 & 6 of the User Guide, which can be downloaded from our website here. (I think you've seen it already James, but might be of use to others.)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
No, we store the learnt codes in EEPROM, so they persist even if the battery runs out.
cool, one more thing you guys got right.

There's more detail about this and other aspects of the learning capability in Chapters 5 & 6 of the User Guide, which can be downloaded from our website here. (I think you've seen it already James, but might be of use to others.)
oh  :-\ I might not have read the whole manual yet.  It's pretty long  :D

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
I'll buy mine until Thursday, thanks to Eddy, I think it'll be the first buyer of the forum, when you receive I will post my review
www.xbmcbrasil.net
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me