Author Topic: Solution for a good VC Mic found  (Read 3086 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Solution for a good VC Mic found
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:43:50 AM »
Hey, guys,
today I would like to introduce a generation of microphones for VoxComando, which were previously unaffordable for private users.
I think most of us are still looking for the perfect microphone to use with VoxCommando and for me personally a kind of communicator like from the StarTrek series would be the optimal one - small, wireless, wearable and last but not least a long range.
Now I can say that after countless tests of microphones I found exactly one as described above.

The manufacturer of the microphone is RevoLabs - which specializes in conference systems.
I have here 3 variants of the type "RevoLabs Solo" - Wearable, Tabletop and XLR.
1.) The Solo Wearable:  To be attached to clothing with a clip or worn around the neck with a lanyard.
2.) The Solo Tabletop: Is placed on the table so that it points in the direction of the speaker(s).
3.) The Solo XLR: Can be connected to any dynamic microphone with an XLR connector.

All three microphones operate with DECT signal transmission (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) which allows a high range with good voice quality. The connection is bidirectional, just like a wireless phone.
The RevoLabs Solo system has a small base station which can be connected via USB to a computer and/or audio cable directly to a playback device (amplifier / active speaker or similar).
The base station also serves as a charger, which is powered by a 5V power supply. All microphones have a large button in the middle, which serves as the main function for muting (the base station also has this button - if one of the two buttons is pressed, the microphone is muted and can be switched on again by pressing it again).
The microphone also has a 2.5 mm jack to connect a mono headphone or speaker. The DECT connection between microphone and base station is encrypted and above all insensitive to interference from other radio sources such as mobile phones.

Here now my experiences with the RevoLabs in connection with VoxCommando:
I connected the base station to power and connected it to my computer via USB - after a few seconds Windows automatically installed a driver and the microphone appeared in the audio settings.
Now I started pairing the microphone (wearable) with the base station (this procedure is only necessary if the devices are not coupled - this is done by a red and green changing LED flashing frequency at microphone and base station). To do this, the microphone must be removed from the base station and switched off. Then press and hold the mute button (approx. 8-10 seconds) to activate pairing on the microphone, the LED will now light red continuously. Now press the mute button on the base station for 8-10 seconds until the LED lights red. After a few seconds, the devices were connected and the base station LED and microphone flashed red at short intervals, meaning that the microphone is now connected to the base station and in mute mode.
Cool, that was really easy and I could now dedicate myself to the settings on the PC.
First I opened the audio "Recording Settings" and could immediately see the RevoLabs solo there - perfect. Now I looked at the properties to adjust the input level, which was already set to 52 - I left this setting, unmuted the microphone and saw the input swing in the setting - Yeah - the microphone works. I used an untrained language profile to have a reference to other microphones.
Now I started VoxCommando and as usual I spoke my commands - wow - it worked great, just like my headset, except that I attached the microphone with the clip to my T-shirt and have nothing annoying hanging on my ear. The RevoLabs Solo is so small (about the size of a lipstick) that you don't even notice it.

Then I wanted to know how good the range was and moved through the entire house (from the basement to the 2 floor) and spoke various VoxCommando commands over and over again. Here too I can say - ingeniously - the range is enormous, no command was lost. The range is 25 meters (my house is smaller but has very thick walls and ceilings which was no problem for RevoLabs).
In the next few days I will upload a video in which I will introduce the microphones again. With this system the possibilities of voice-controlled home automation with VoxCommando are enormous - that was in any case what I was always looking for.

Now everyone will probably say to themselves - well and the devices are nevertheless so expensive that I cannot afford!
Wrong, that was in the past - the Revolabs Solo System is an older model and has been replaced by a new one, so you can find many used ones on ebay, maybe for a good price.
I myself have 7 pieces I can offer (each containing: 1x base station, 1x Revolabs Wearable Mic, 1x Revolabs XLR Mic, 1x power supply), it's like a double pack. The price would be 75 US-$ (60 EUR) + shipping. If you are interested, write me a message.

Here is the link with the documentation:

https://www.revolabs.com/RevolabsPortalCorporateSite/media/Downloads/Support%20Documents/Solo%E2%84%A2/295018_solo_single_channel_user_manual_v3-1.pdf

Kalle

about the attached pictures: the first picture shows the 3 types of microphones and on the right a lipstick to show the size

and here for our German users:

Hallo Leute,
heute möchte ich euch eine Generation von Mikrofonen für VoxComando vorstellen, die bisher fasst unerschwinglich für den Privatanwender waren.
Ich denke die meisten von uns suchen noch das perfekte Mikrofon um es mit VoxCommando zu benutzen und für mich persönlich wäre eine art Kommunikator wie aus der StarTrek Serie das optimale - klein, drahtlos, wearable und zu guter Letzt eine hohe Reichweite.
Nun kann ich sagen, dass  ich nach unzähligen Tests von Mikrofonen genau ein solches wie oben beschrieben gefunden habe.

Der Hersteller des Mikrofons ist RevoLabs - welcher auf Konferenz-Systeme spezialisiert ist.
Ich habe hier 3 Varianten des Typs "RevoLabs Solo" - Wearable, Tabletop und XLR.
1.) Das Solo Wearable:  Wird an der Kleidung mit einem Klipp befestigt oder mit einem Umhängeband um den Hals getragen werden.
2.) Das Solo Tabletop: Wird auf den Tisch gelegt, so dass es in Richtung des/der Sprechers zeigt.
3.) Das Solo XLR: Kann an jedes dynamische Mikrofon angesteckt werden was einen XLR-Anschluss hat.

Alle drei Mikrofone arbeiten mit DECT Funksignalübertragung (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) welches eine hohe Reichweite bei guter Sprachqualität erlaubt. Die Verbindung ist bidirektional genau wie bei einem drahtlosen Telefon.

Das RevoLabs Solo System hat eine kleine Basisstation welche über USB an einen Computer und/oder per Audio-Kabel direkt an ein Wiedergabegerät (Verstärker / aktiver Lautsprecher oder ähnliches) angeschlossen werden kann. Die Basisstation dient auch gleichzeitig als Ladegerät, welche mit einem 5V Netzteil betrieben wird. Alle Mikrofone besitzen einen großen Knopf in der Mitte, welcher als Hauptfunktion zum stumm schalten dient (auch die Basisstation hat diesen Knopf - wird einer der Knöpfe gedrückt, ist das Mikrofon stumm geschaltet und kann durch erneutes drücken wieder aufgeschaltet werden).

Das RevoLabs Solo System hat eine kleine Basisstation welche über USB an einen Computer und/oder per Audio-Kabel direkt an ein Wiedergabegerät (Verstärker / aktiver Lautsprecher oder ähnliches) angeschlossen werden kann.
Die Basisstation dient auch gleichzeitig als Ladegerät, welche mit einem 5V Netzteil betrieben wird. Alle Mikrofone besitzen einen großen Knopf in der Mitte, welcher als Hauptfunktion zum stumm schalten dient (auch die Basisstation hat diesen Knopf - wird einer der beiden Knöpfe gedrückt, ist das Mikrofon stumm geschaltet und kann durch erneutes drücken wieder aufgeschaltet werden).
Das Mikrofon hat auch eine 2,5 mm Klinkenbuchse um einen Monokopfhörer oder Lautsprecher anzuschließen. Die DECT Verbindung zwischen Mikrofon und Basisstation ist verschlüsselt und vor allem unempfindlich gegen Störungen durch andere Funkquellen wie z.B. Handys.

Hier nun meine Erfahrungen mit dem RevoLabs in Verbindung mit VoxCommando:
Ich habe die Basisstation an Strom angeschlossen und per USB mit meinem Computer verbunden - nach einigen Sekunden installierte Windows selbsttätig einen Treiber und das Mikrofon erschien in den Audio Einstellungen.
Nun startete ich das pairing des Mikrofon (Wearable) mit der Basisstation (dieser Vorgang ist nur nötig wenn die Geräte nicht gekoppelt sind - dies wird durch eine in rot und grün wechselnde LED Blinkfrequenz an Mikrofon und Basisstation). Hierzu muss das Mikrofon aus der Basisstation entnommen werden und ausgeschaltet sein. Danach mit einem langem Druck auf den Mute button (ca.8-10 Sekunden) das pairing am Mikrofon aktiviert, die LED leuchtet nun dauerhaft rot. Jetzt wird an der Basisstation ebenfalls der Mute button für 8-10 Sekunden gedrückt bis auch hier die LED rot leuchtet. Nach wenigen Sekunden hatten die Geräte sich verbunden und die LED an der Basisstation sowie Mikrofon blinkten in kurzen Abständen rot, was bedeutet, dass das Mikrofon nun mit der Basisstation verbunden ist und sich im Stummschaltmodus befindet.
Cool, das war wirklich einfach und ich konnte mich nun den Einstellungen am PC widmen.
Zuerst öffnete ich die Audio "Aufnahme Einstellungen" und konnte gleich das RevoLabs Solo dort sehen - perfekt. Nun schaute ich mir die Eigenschaften an um den Eingangspegel anzupassen, welcher schon auf 52 gesetzt war - ich ließ dies Einstellung, hob die Stummschaltung am Mikrofon auf und sah den Eingangsausschlag in den Einstellung - Yeah - das Mikrofon funktioniert. Ich habe ein untrainiertes Sprachprofil benutzt um eine Referenz zu anderen Mikrofonen zu haben.
Jetzt habe ich VoxCommando gestartet und wie üblich meine Befehle gesprochen - wow - es funktionierte großartig, genau wie mein Headset nur das ich das Mikrofon mit dem Clip an meinem T-Shirt befestigt habe und nichts lästiges am Ohr hängen habe. Das RevoLabs Solo ist so klein (ungefähr so groß wie ein Lippenstift), das man es gar nicht bemerkt.

Danach wollte ich wissen wie gut die Reichweite ist und bewegte mich durch das komplette Haus (vom Keller bis in den 2 Stock) und sprach immer wieder verschiedene VoxCommando Befehle. Auch hier kann ich sagen - genial - die Reichweite ist enorm, kein Befehl ging verloren. Die Reichweite ist mit 25 Meter angegeben (mein Haus ist zwar kleiner, hat aber sehr dicke Wände und Decken welches aber für das RevoLabs kein Problem darstellte).
Ich werde in den nächsten Tagen mal ein Video hochladen, in dem ich die Mikrofone nochmal vorstelle. Mit diesem System sind die Möglichkeiten der Sprachgesteuerten Hausautomation mit VoxCommando riesig - das war in jedem Fall das, was ich immer gesucht habe.
Jetzt wird sich wohl jeder sagen - na und die Geräte sind doch so teuer die kann ich mir nicht leisten!

Falsch, das war einmal - das Revolabs Solo System ist ein älteres Modell und wurde durch ein neues ersetzt, dadurch findet man bei ebay viele gebrauchte und vielleicht zu einem guten Preis.
 Ich selbst habe 7 Stück die ich anbieten kann (jedes beinhaltet: 1x Basisstation, 1x Revolabs Wearable Mic, 1x Revolabs XLR Mic, 1x Netzteil), es ist sozusagen ein Doppelpack. Der Preis würde 75 US-$ (60 EUR) + Versand betragen. Bei Interesse schreibt mir eine Nachricht.

hier ist ein link mit der Bedienungsanleitung:

https://www.revolabs.com/RevolabsPortalCorporateSite/media/Downloads/Support%20Documents/Solo%E2%84%A2/295018_solo_single_channel_user_manual_v3-1.pdf

Kalle

Im Anhang sind Bilder: Im ersten Bild könnt ihr ganz rechts einen Lippenstift als Größenvergleich sehen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:23:06 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Solution for a good VC Mic found
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »
Awesome. Beam me up!

I'll take two of each please.

What colour lipsticks do you have available?

Is the desktop microphone a separate thing? How far away from it can you be?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
Haha, the lipstick is dark red, but I think this colour is nothing for you - I recommend a bright pink for you  :biglaugh

Your devices are already safe

The desktop Microphone can be used with the base station, but it is not a part of my offer - I tried it from 5 feet away and it works great - I will check the maximum distance

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 03:09:16 AM »
Amazing Find and Write up Kalle,

I'll have to look into these more and look forward to seeing your video.

how long do the batteries last on these before having to recharge them?

and do you need the Channel Base Station to use it with a PC?

I think jitterjames is more of a Magnum,  :biglaugh

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
Hi PegLegTV,
the battery will last for 8 hour continuous speaking (in theory written down in the documentation ) - so I think this is a good value.
The tiny base station has to be connect via USB to the PC - so yes the base station is needed, because it is the receiver for the microphone.
You will find a lot of these microphone on eBay, but get sure (if you want buy it) you search exact for the Revolabs “Solo” - there is a similar device which looks like the same but it is called “xTag” and on this device there is no chance to change the battery - which is possible on the Solo.
It is also possible to buy a 4 or 8 channel Revolabs System like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/revolabs-solo-executive-8channel-wireless-microphone-system/183182478477?hash=item2aa686cc8d:g:asMAAOSwPAxaCPN-

and each room can have his own microphone.

Kalle

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply, so it looks like if you buy more then a single mic settup then you would need the rack mounted base station, like what is pictured in the eBay link you shared. But some of the single charging base stations can be connected straight to a PC and does not require the rack mount.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
Yes exact, all connected base stations are then displayed as separate devices in the Windows audio settings.
If anyone prefer this solution then you have to run 3 instances of VoxCommando, maybe with different speech profiles or using the Virtual Audio Cable software to route all inputs to one on which is VoxCommando listen.
The rack version has more options:

1.) 4 or 8 separate audio output channels (to feed it to a mixing console and then to a PC or whatever)
2.) one mixed output direct to the PC sound card.

maybe a third option like combining different channels and last but not least I'm sure you can adjust each channel (gain etc.) on the rack itself.

If you read the description from the ebay link above, you can read the rack comes without any antennas - you have to be careful not to make a bad buy!

Kalle
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:58:53 AM by Kalle »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
Here is now my short video review - ask if you have questions

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
Great video. The microphone looks great. Imcurious of the range of the microphone as well. Could you try clipping it to your pocket and see if it still picks up well?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 03:28:28 AM »
Good catch - I have wear it on my pocket (not in) and it worked as well, but you have first increase the input level of the mic in the windows audio settings (in my case from 57 to 95).
I recommend to wear it closer to the mouth.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »
Nice video Kalle. :)

I guess IKROWNI must have meant pants pocket.  I think a shirt pocket would be the logical choice assuming your shirt has one, otherwise the using the neck like you did seems like a good alternative.  Even if it worked on your pants, I expect it would receive a lot of physical abuse.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
It was the pants pocket - on a shirt pocket will it work just as well as on the t-shirt collar.
It is also possible to attach it to the arm with a strap or similar.

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
Kalle,  Thanks for pointing this out.  I did some research and found a used revolabs executive hd 4 channel on ebay for around $120.  I still have my cables and usb sound card from the ap800 days and I am going to give it a try.  It should be here tomorrow and I will hopefully know if it works by the end of the weekend. 

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Hi keithj69,
don‘t forget - I have tested the Revolabls Solo - but I think the newer HD executive will work too.

Kalle

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »
Kalle,
I actually watched the video the other night which lead to my research. Insomnia, your video and ebay ftw.
I received the executive hd today. Unfortunately it did not come with the 3.5 mini phoenix connectors.  I do not have any on hand so I won't have this up and going until next week.