Author Topic: Receiver microphone (Amazingly small, very powerful)  (Read 2940 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Receiver microphone (Amazingly small, very powerful)
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
I've tried a lot of different microphones from the kinect, modified baby monitors, CAD U7, conference mics, wall switch plate mics, headphones, Bluetooth mics, and I always seemed to have issues with them aside from a headset microphone. But the other day I found a couple of these old receiver surround sound configuration microphones.

So Tiny

Integrated it right into the armrest of my couch, its at a great angle for capturing my voice. I can be anywhere in my room speaking at a normal tone and it picks me up with great accuracy.

Almost every surround sound receiver ive ever purchased came with one of these microphones. Not sure if i just got lucky with the quality this thing works at or if they are all similar in quality but if you have one lying around and need a discrete microphone definately give this little guy a shot!

csimon

• View Profile
Re: Receiver microphone (Amazingly small, very powerful)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
Yes, I'm using a very similar one from my Denon amp, while I'm still experimenting with VC. It doesn't work at a distance though, will only work maximum of around 5" away from mouth. I have mic input on the PC turned up to maximum.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Receiver microphone (Amazingly small, very powerful)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
I have a similar mic that came with my Onkyo receiver.  I tried it and wasn't too impressed but I did not expect much from it so I didn't really try to tweak it much. These types of mics will give very different results depending on what they are plugged into. A good quality preamp will often make a big difference. Plugging a mic level input directly into your sound card can work but it will depend a lot on your sound card and possibly the computer itself in terms of noise.

Of course the mic that Sony uses could be totally different from the Onkyo one.  I dont think they need to be great quality to deliver the correct info to the receiver during setup.  I think they are mostly just used to measure distance and relative volume.