Author Topic: problem with USB-UIRT beta plugin 0.2  (Read 7124 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
problem with USB-UIRT beta plugin 0.2
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
Decided to try out the USBUirt plugin.  As soon as I enabled it and restarted Vox I got a crash after it had finished loading and had said "Focussed Vox Commando".  To recover Vox I had to manually open options and delete the line regarding the USBUirt plugin, Vox would then start successfully.  I downloaded the latest version of Vox and installed it clean (without any of my settings or XML) enabled the plugin and got the same crash at the same point.

I enabled the log and opened it up.  I can't actually see anything obvious because after the errors about the USBUirt pluins it carries on loading the other plugins.  Below is the only errors related to the plugin...

\Plugins\UsbUirt\UsbUirt.dll
17/08/2013 10:07:59   47   Loading: UsbUirt
17/08/2013 10:07:59   59   Not a valid plugin.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'UsbUirt.Controller' threw an exception. ---> System.ApplicationException: Unable to read UsbUirt driver version ---> System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'uuirtdrv.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
   at UsbUirt.Controller.UUIRTGetDrvInfo(UInt32& drvVersion)
   at UsbUirt.Controller..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at UsbUirt.Controller..cctor()
   at UsbUirt.Controller..ctor()
   at vcPlugin.Plugin..ctor()
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at VoxCommando.PluginServices.AddPlugin(String FileName)
   at VoxCommando.PluginServices.loadEnabledPlugins(String Path, List`1 whichPlugins)
17/08/2013 10:07:59   60   found dll: C:\Users\Chloe\Desktop\Voxtest\Plugins\UsbUirt\UsbUirtManagedWrapper.dll
17/08/2013 10:07:59   61   Not loading.

Any ideas?

-P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:04:12 AM by jitterjames »
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
problem is usbuirt beta plugin
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »
Hi Paul, did you plug in the USB-UIRT device? If not, plug it in and then start VC again to see what will happen.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »
I'm just guessing here, so maybe we can get together later to try to figure it out.  Let me know when you're free if you are interested.

Two thoughts.  And a question.  Not necessarily in that order...

1 try it with EventGhost closed.  Maybe they can't both access it at the same time?  I will test this today.

2 latest version?  1.1.3.8 ?

3 you have an older version of drivers or firmware for your unit.  I updated mine to a recent firmware when trying to enable waking the PC via IR.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
I have tested with both EventGhost and VC using the USBUIRT at the same time without issue here, but you should probably still check that.

I suspect an older driver or firmware could be the problem.  It will also crash if the device is not plugged in as Kalle suggests, but I doubt that is an issue for you.  I will fix that in the next version.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
FYI I am using firmware version  5.9

http://www.usbuirt.com/latestFirmware.zip

and the driver version is 2.06.01

http://www.usbuirt.com/Win7_Win8_Vista_v20601_signed.zip

Tested and working fine on 2 desktops running win7 x64 and one laptop running win8 (also 64 bit)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: problem with USB-UIRT beta plugin 0.2
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
Something tells me the problem here is my lack of understanding as to what this is (as usual)  :bonk

I have a Microsoft IR transciever.  Common as muck, looks like this: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@api/deki/files/1877/=MS_Transceiver1040.jpg

Is the USBUirt software going to be able to control this?  If it can do I need to install some other software in the mix?

I get the message "Unable to connect to USB-UIRT" when I run the UUflash.exe and I'm strating to think that's because I don't own one and my assumption that my Microsoft transciever was the same thing was nonsense :(

Have I got it wrapped round my neck?

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
You hit the head on the nail there.

This plugin is only for use with the USB-UIRT device.   ::club

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
I see, so you're going to get right to work on a plugin for my transceiver now right ;)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
I know you are only joking but no, I'm not planning to.  I can't find any good references or resources on how to program this thing in .net.  Lucky for you it works quite well with eventGhost and there is no problem interfacing between VC and EventGhost.  If you need any help using maps with payloads and eventGhost just let me know.

For anyone who is new to all this and is deciding which device to buy, spend a little more and get the USB-UIRT.  It is much better.  At least the USB-UIRT that I have is much better than the MCE eHome transceiver that I have.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
Good advice brother. Not seen the USB UIRT until now.

I'm guessing your current advice is still HALX where money is no object?

I will be making more use of it once Neesha and I finally find a house that doesn't suck.

In the mean time, Eventghost it shall remain.

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:52:53 PM »
halx is an amazing piece of hardware if you can get one (I don't really know if they are for sale now or not), but it doesn't receive IR so you can't use it as an input device.  Well, you can sort of with a newer firmware but I have not found it to be completely stable in that mode and least not with the version I have.  Halx has many other benefits like learning and blasting RF (quite a unique feature) and can run with no PC on since it is an ethernet device with a webserver etc...

On the other hand if you are planning on always using VC (always having a computer on) and you don't care about RF, then the usb uirt is pretty awesome, and it works with eventGhost too.

It all comes down to what you want to do.  Let's not forget about Vera and Z-wave!  Global cache stuff is good too.

I'd love to be able to do Crestron stuff (and insteon, Zigbee etc.), but I can't afford to buy all that stuff, and I guess most VC users can't either (Creston is very expensive, not the other stuff).

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
How many of those things can  do IR?

I have a HALX. Been keeping faith that Mij will release his HALI for general consumption. It had promises of multiple RF emitters for controlling all frequencies, but he's gone quiet.

Would bloody love one of those.

Just been thinking about what to advise when people asked me what's best. I get asked now and then on my youtube channel. HALX has a complicated history and I never feel right suggesting it, I keep telling people to wait for HALI or buy something from Telldus and a Microsoft IR transceiver, but I will start recommending USB UIRT.

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
I can't say what is best.  I can only say what I think is best for a particular situation.  If all you want to do is send IR and receive IR to generate events for macros, and you don't care about being able to use a phone or tablet without having a computer on, then USBUIRT is a good choice.  In other words, if you only care about VC and IR then USBUIRT is a great choice.  But if you want to do home automation too, or maybe you have some RF devices with no IR or you want to be able to access stuff from work, the answer becomes a lot more complicated.

As a developer I am interested in anything that I can create a plugin for without too much trouble and without having to buy expensive equipment in order to test while I develop.  I have been lucky too to have some stuff gifted to me by generous friends and members of the VC community.

The main thing I really hate about USB-UIRT is typing it.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
LOL, yup.  I kept trying to figure out where I should and should not be capitalising the letters.  I think I've written it 10 different ways in this thread.

-P

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
@James  :hugs
***********  get excited and make things  **********