Author Topic: How to control VoxCommando from another computer in the house  (Read 4693 times)

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
I've got VoxCommando set up in a home theatre computer that is resident in a utility room. I am currently using my Android phone with the VoxCommando app to control the home theatre computer. My wife has a laptop in her office in the house and there is another laptop in our kitchen. I'd like to be able to send voice commands from each of those two laptops (using the built-in microphones) to the home theatre computer. Is this possible?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: How to control VoxCommando from another computer in the house
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »
I've got VoxCommando set up in a home theatre computer that is resident in a utility room. I am currently using my Android phone with the VoxCommando app to control the home theatre computer. My wife has a laptop in her office in the house and there is another laptop in our kitchen. I'd like to be able to send voice commands from each of those two laptops (using the built-in microphones) to the home theatre computer. Is this possible?
Hi Snodric, yes it is possible to send commands to VoxCommando on a other machine, but it depends on some important things and it is very experimentally. I will show you how it is possible - but this way was never originally intended (I think only for EventGhost)   ::)

Here a example:

1. Open on the Laptop1 the VC editor and create a new group "send command test" and insert a "new command" make a double click on the "lightning symbol" to open the command editor. Create a "action" how you will see it in the follow picture.
In the "EventGhost.SetIP" action type the IP-adress of your HTPC - in "EventGhost.SetPort" action type default port (33000) and as last in the "EventGhost.Send" action - type VC.TellVox.

[attachment=2]

2. Create a payload "phrase only" with all your command phrases (which you need) by your self (I don't know how we can import phrases from a existing xml file).

[attachment=1]

3. save all and restart VoxCommando

Thanks James for the tip with the "SetIP-action" this makes all easier  :hugs

take care - this is experimental - figured out by my self. If you have any question let me know  ;)

Kalle
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:07:22 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »
It is possible, using something like what Kalle has outlined above, to send certain commands to another VC, but if you want them to act as "clone satellites"  :P where they are essentially just acting as a microphone for another system, there is currently no way to do that, except with VoxWav for Android.

It sounds like you want VoxWav for PC, which doesn't exist.  You might be able to find some kind of audio software that lets you use your microphone on one PC as the mic for another PC but I don't know of any myself.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
I don't recommend that you change your listen port in VC options unless you really know what you are doing, because you will break other things.  VoxWav for example will send to this port 33000 by default.  If you change the listen port in VC you will need to change the port in VoxWav and any other apps that are using it.

If you want to target a particular system, it is better to specify the target IP address.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »
I don't recommend that you change your listen port in VC options unless you really know what you are doing, because you will break other things.  VoxWav for example will send to this port 33000 by default.  If you change the listen port in VC you will need to change the port in VoxWav and any other apps that are using it.

If you want to target a particular system, it is better to specify the target IP address.
Thanks James, good catch - I've rewrite the tutorial  :hugs
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Changing the port is a perfectly valid method, but I wanted to advise caution.  It is only for those who know what they are doing. It can also mess you up, even if you do know what you are doing, because it is easy to forget that you changed it, and then run into problems a month later...   still there might be a situation where you want to do it anyway, and that is why the setting is there! :-)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
Very nice tutorial, by the way.  Thanks Kalle.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
Hi everyone

It sounds like you want VoxWav for PC, which doesn't exist.

I would like to point out that there is a program called Bluestacks http://www.bluestacks.com/ (Run all your favorite mobile apps on PC and Mac, free). Which enables the PC to become a Android Emulator, so it may be possible to get VoxWav to work with this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:03:08 PM by xtermin8r »
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

Snodric

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Tried Bluestacks and it works like a charm! Thanks so much for this suggestion!

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
Tried Bluestacks and it works like a charm! Thanks so much for this suggestion!

Great news, your'e welcome. :clap
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
Wow. Amazing. I really did not expect it to work.

I guess the tilt feature requires a bit more effort though  :biglaugh