Author Topic: Bing plugin for translation and TTS in many languages  (Read 9912 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Bing plugin for translation and TTS in many languages
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
Text encoding is always a nightmare.  Funny, when I test your url using a web browser or scrape, I get 4 unreadable characters (boxes with an X in them).

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
Maybe that is because I don't have the correct location/font settings in XBMC though?

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 02:39:51 AM »
Maybe that is because I don't have the correct location/font settings in XBMC though?
Yeah, that can be because of the skin's fonts (more likely) or regional settings. Anyway, I don't think this bug is too important for now, since this situation is pretty rare and there's a workaround.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
Thanks.  This is actually a bug that I had tried to address some time ago.  Upon revisiting some of my code I found something that I thought I had changed looking suspiciously old...

I can't test this with Cyrillic but I was able to test with french accents and I think I may have fixed it.  Can you please try replacing your xJson dll with the attached and let me know if it works for you.

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
Ok, I'll try it!

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
Works like a charm, thanks!

Hiryu

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I'm trying to get the Bing translation to work.  Installed the plugin, and input my API key.

When I tell it to translate "apple" to a language (tried French and Chinese), it gives me a Bing.Translate:apple&&en&&zh-cn (apple&&en&fr) error: error for plugin c:\VoxCommando\Plugins\Ving\bing.dll

I had this weird XJSON error, but then I swapped the xjson.dll for the one posted on this thread into Plugins/xjson -- and it doesn't seem to have that error in the log anymore.  Now the log shows something different.

Attaching what I think is the relevant part of the log.

Running VC 2.0.0.5 for this, nonSP, since it requires dictation. 

Thanks if anyone can help.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
try testing with voxtell it seems VC generating alternates ... so it might not be executing the command
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
@Hadood: According to the log it is executing the command.

Hiryu, maybe you should send me your api key (privately) so I can test it.

I thought maybe Bing had stopped working, but I just tested it here and it works fine in French and also in Chinese.

I'm not sure why the translate to French would not work for you, but in the Chinese command you made you are not using a valid language code.  The valid codes are listed on the plugin settings window under the API Key.  Translation language codes are on the left. Valid translation languages are zh-CHS or zh-CHT

The list of codes on the right are for Bing.Speak (TTS) only, not translation.

By the way Bing translates the English word "apple" into French as "Apple" for some reason (assuming the company name I guess), unless you use it in a sentence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »
I had this weird XJSON error, but then I swapped the xjson.dll for the one posted on this thread into Plugins/xjson -- and it doesn't seem to have that error in the log anymore.  Now the log shows something different.

That dll was posted in March and is most likely older than the one shipping in version 2.0.0.5.

Please don't install older versions of plugin dll files without good reason and without knowing what you are doing.  This could very easily lead to impossible to solve problems later on down the road.

If I post a dll on the forum to solve a specific issue, you can assume that this version or a newer one will ship with the next version of the complete program.

Hiryu

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »
Ok -- thanks.  well, I changed the original dll from the installation to .bak so I'll just delete the one from March and restore back to the original dll from the installation.  Thanks -- I thought it was worth a shot, since I saw an xjson error and was trying out different things to get it to work and not bothering you guys with yet another question.  I also sent you a message with my API key.  Thanks Jitterjames!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
Your api key does not seem to work.  I don't know if that is because you got the wrong kind of key, or if it is because Microsoft is no longer issuing this type of key and mine is only working as a "legacy" key.

I believe Microsoft said a long time ago that this api was deprecated and I was surprised that it continued to work for so long.  Perhaps they are just not giving out any new keys that work with it.  Unfortunately I can't make my key public or it would get "used up".  Also, I think this would technically  violate my agreement with MS.

Hiryu

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
Thanks for looking, JitterJames -- I will try going the Yandex route, then -- hopefully that'll work.