Author Topic: Linux, XBMC & VoxCommando!  (Read 14437 times)

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Linux, XBMC & VoxCommando!
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
Hello friends,

I'm a long-time Linux and XBMC user and have been wanting a way to control XBMC via voice. I heard of VoxCommand from the internets a while ago. However, I have been putting off trying it as it is Windows-only. Last night, on a whim, I tried the demo version of VoxCommando from within VirtualBox for Ubuntu 10.04, running Windows 7. I could perfectly control XBMC running on the host Ubuntu box. Everything worked beautifully! It was then that I decided to buy VoxCommando  :)  Heres looking forward to enjoying this great software!

cheers

-Ajith

PS: I used a regular condenser microphone soldered to a 3.5 mm shielded audio cable. Now I need to check out some kind of "remote" mic, like using an Android phone or an Amulet remote, if it works well and also, if I can afford it ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Linux, XBMC & VoxCommando!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »
Hi Ajith.  Welcome to VoxCommando and thanks for the information.  :D

That is really great news.  I'm sure there are some other linux users out there that would be interested in trying this.  I am pretty ignorant about these things since I don't use linux so forgive me if my questions don't make sense:

- Is XBMC running on the same machine that is running VoxCommando inside the virtual box? 
- What kind of impact does it have on system performance and resources?  Is virtual box free?
- Do you think this would also be possible on a Mac?

Did you use any guides or tutorials along the way that might be useful to others who want to try this?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
oh yeah.  Here's the guide to microphone on the wiki

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Microphones

Kalle has also posted some interesting information about various microphones on the forum.  Like this: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=595.0|forum

If you can afford it, most people agree that the Amulet is the way to go, but it is a bit of a pain to buy outside of the U.S., Australia, or New Zealand so you need to know someone in one of those countries or use a re-shipping company.

Let me know if you need the $40 coupon code.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »
Answers below:

- Is XBMC running on the same machine that is running VoxCommando inside the virtual box? 

Yes.

- What kind of impact does it have on system performance and resources? 

I have a typical PC (Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-EM , RAM: 4 GB, Graphics card: NVidia GT 9600) that I got assembled at the local PC parts shop, acting as my Ubuntu 10.04-based HTPC. After installing and starting VirtualBox on it (with 750 MB of RAM allocated to it), I hardly notice any drop in performance. It still plays 1080p HD videos as smoothly as before, if that is any measure to go by. So, yes, impact: minimal. Resources: About 750 MB of RAM out of a total of 4 GB to run the VM. As you'd know, any apps within the VM (and that includes VoxCommando) would be restricted to this 750 MB alone, and no more.

Is virtual box free?

Yes! https://www.virtualbox.org/

- Do you think this would also be possible on a Mac?

As you can see from VirtualBox's download page, the software is also available for the Mac. So, This should be possible on the Mac too.

Did you use any guides or tutorials along the way that might be useful to others who want to try this?

No, I didn't have to, because I am quite comfortable with Linux (Ubuntu, mostly), and VirtualBox. Seeing as there is no such tutorial available, I'm happy to volunteer to make one  :)

cheers

-Ajith

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
Quote from: jitterjames
oh yeah.  Here's the guide to microphone on the wiki

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Microphones

Kalle has also posted some interesting information about various microphones on the forum.  Like this: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=595.0|forum

If you can afford it, most people agree that the Amulet is the way to go, but it is a bit of a pain to buy outside of the U.S., Australia, or New Zealand so you need to know someone in one of those countries or use a re-shipping company.

Let me know if you need the $40 coupon code.

Yes, I've read some of those Wikis, and will be on the lookout for more. From what I've read, and as you've pointed out, the Amulet seems to be the best there is right now.

$40 coupon code? I didn't know something like that existed  ;D. So that gives me a discount of $40? Is this available for all VoxCommando forum members?

I tried locating some re-shipping Co, that would ship to India like you suggested, but no dice. Now to find a few friends in the US ...   ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
There is a $20 coupon code available for anyone who visits the site.
edit: coupon code to save $20 -  AMDVOX2549

There is a $40 coupon code available onto to registered (paid) users of VoxCommando.

No friends in Australia?  It's closer...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:46:31 AM by jitterjames »

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Quote from: jitterjames
No friends in Australia?  It's closer...

As a matter of fact, I do. But I hear Oz is relatively more expensive than the US, so...

Distance doesn't matter for me as I'm counting on the friends getting it for me when they're traveling back to India  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:49:26 AM by ajith »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
sounds like a plan.  In the mean time, if you have an android you could try playing with something like this:

http://www.senstic.com/android/pocketaudio/pocketaudio.aspx

be warned that I've had problems with pocket audio crashing WSR when used on some systems with my ipod.  I don't know if this is still an issue or if it applies to Androids.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
I do have an Android phone. Will give this a go and post the results here.

I have already tried the Skype method, which was a flop. Somehow, the recognition was near zero although I could make out from the mic level indicator on VoxCommando that it was indeed receiving my voice, when I'm speaking. And I was constantly being told by the sweet lady that VAC was "trial"  :biglaugh

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »
As promised, here are the results of my trials with Senstic PocketAudio Microphone for Android:

1. It crashed the Android market app while downloading (go figure!)  :biglaugh
2. The Android App did not connect to its PC counterpart for a while and it took several tries (rebooting the PC as well as the mobile), and at some point it said "connected"
3. When it connected, I could briefly see the mic levels jump on sound in both the Windows Recording Control as well as in VoxCommando, but recognition was way off.
4. It soon crashed the WSR dialog boxes, and with it, took down VoxCommando as well.
5. Refused to connect again for several attempts, until another reboot of everything.
6. And when it finally said "connected", there was no movement in the mic levels anywhere on the PC, though the bar on Android App was jumping about.
7. I am too sleepy to go on and am giving up  ::zzz

Overall, a frustrating experience, and not once did it work "as intended" as someone has commented on the Android Market.

PS:  My Android is the Samsung Galaxy S2

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  (and sorry I suggested it to you.)  I don't blame you for being frustrated.  I would give up too if I were you. ::console

For the record, on my two machines, it worked perfectly on one of them.  On the other, as I mentioned, it crashed WSR every time right away.  That was with my ipod touch though.  On the one that worked, my main complaint was the small but noticeable delay, which I found disconcerting.  The mobiola headset app for iPhone works much better, with almost no delay, but there doesn't seem to be a version for Android.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »
Hey, no sweat, I'd have anyway tried it, sooner or later. Nice consoling emoticon there  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
I knew it would come in handy eventually :)

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 06:13:02 AM »

Quote from: ajith
... no such tutorial available, I'm happy to volunteer to make one  :)

-Ajith

What's a good place to put the tutorial in? I see there is a "Tutorials" section. Is that only for video tutorials? Or, can the "VoxCommando with Linux" tutorial be a Wiki?

Will try and do it on the weekend.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 06:16:06 AM »

What's a good place to put the tutorial in? I see there is a "Tutorials" section. Is that only for video tutorials? Or, can the "VoxCommando with Linux" tutorial be a Wiki?

Will try and do it on the weekend.
Hi ajith, you can put in there  ;D

Thanks
Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********