Author Topic: Amulet Voice Remote  (Read 73208 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amulet Voice Remote
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »
1 - Yes get the OEM version if you still can.

2 - I don't think the discount codes ever applied to the OEM version but in any case you would need to check with Amulet devices to be sure.

$69 bucks for this device is pretty reasonable.  I still use mine as my primary voice input.  VoxWav is great but having this dedicated thing always in the living room and not having to turn it on or make sure an app is running means that it just gets used the most often.

Just don't expect too much from it as a learning remote.  I just use it as an MCE remote with EventGhost and it's just fine for that.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
I've started to compile a rather extensive list of reasons why I need to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to the vastly superior Windows 7.

But chief among them, at least for me personally, is that Windows 10 breaks my Amulet.  I still rely heavily on my Amulet Devices microphone and this is a major deal breaker for me.   ::saddest

A little more detail about the issue:

The Amulet remote's microphone actually works fine at first, but as soon as I put my machine through a sleep cycle the microphone stops working.  After that happens the only sure fire way to get the microphone working again is to do a full restart.  Even unplugging/replugging the RF dongle does not work, although moving the dongle to a different USB port might work.  In any case neither method is an acceptable solution for me.

I never turn my machine off completely unless there is a problem but I put it to sleep all the time, so basically, I have to choose between Windows 10 and the Amulet remote.  It would be an easy choice for me since there are many other things that I dislike about Windows 10.  The problem I have is that I have set this up as my Windows 10 test development machine on which I had hoped to code a bit with Cortana.  There is absolutely no way I would even consider installing Windows 10 on my regular work machine, because I need to be able to actually work on that one.  What to do what to do?

Anyway, I thought I would just give anyone with an Amulet a heads up on this issue, in case you are considering "upgrading" to Windows 10.

Is anyone else using an Amulet with Win10?  If so, do you see the same behaviour?  I have tested with two different Amulets and another USB microphone.  The problems occurs with both Amulet, but not with the other USB mic (Samson GoMic)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
Even unplugging/replugging the RF dongle does not work, although moving the dongle to a different USB port might work.

Actually this only seemed to work once.  Perhaps you always need to move it to a USB port that has never been used before?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »
A clean install of Windows 10 seems to have resolved this particular issue.

songoffire

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the update, I was looking into ordering an Amulet Remote, but this was a concern.  Also, for anyone interested in ordering a remote from Amulet soon, they are waiting for some parts right now which is causing a short delay in shipping, see the email below:

Thanks for the enquiry.

We normally dispatch orders within 24 hours from our European facility and shipping time to California is typically 5-6 days.

However, we are awaiting delivery of a component at the moment so orders received this week will not ship until next Monday (17 August). An Amulet shipped to you on Monday 17 should arrive no later than Monday 24 August.

I hope this helps; please let me know if I can assist with any other queries.

Kind regards,

Eddy Carroll
Amulet Devices

songoffire

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
Has anyone tried using the Amulet Remote with a FLIRC ( https://www.flirc.tv/ ).   I currently use this to interface with the universal remote than an Amulet would be replacing.  It's a pretty neat device if you haven't heard of it, it translates IR signals into keyboard commands.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »
A clean install of Windows 10 seems to have resolved this particular issue.

Actually I am still having the problem but it seems to be caused by the AmuletUSB notification program which sends events to VoxCommando.  We are looking for a solution, but in the meantime the solution is to not run the AmuletUSB program and just to leave VC always in the "On" state.

Then again, this problem may be specific to my system.  I have not had any reports from other users.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:47:30 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
Has anyone tried using the Amulet Remote with a FLIRC ( https://www.flirc.tv/ ).   I currently use this to interface with the universal remote than an Amulet would be replacing.  It's a pretty neat device if you haven't heard of it, it translates IR signals into keyboard commands.

I'm not familiar with FLIRC but I don't recommend you try to replace a universal remote with an Amulet.  It is not a good universal remote IMO.

songoffire

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
Thanks James, I'm still on the fence about the Amulet, I'd prefer an all-in-one solution... maybe a tablet with Yatse and VoxWav Pro running in the background...

SuperKronz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2015, 12:41:46 AM »
I use a FLIRC with my amulet and it's alright.  The usb motion activated mic is just great for issuing commands to Vox - *but* its function as a universal remote just isnt very good.  I hate to bag on it, because I really appreciate this kind of kit, but it should be better.  Hell, even an updated model - I'd buy a couple!  New features! Some kind of development! Price is more than fair though, and and if you just program the flirc to pickup the default keys it's pretty reliable. 

Don't think there really is an all in one solution but flirc and amulet well worth the cash - and both have lasted through a pretty fair amount of abuse over the years, and no problems.

I'd love Amulet developer to chime in... another model one day? Got any plans or is it pretty much what it is? We want MOAR!

SteveB69

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
Just to say after reading this thread yesterday I googled, amazon'd & ebayed but couldn't find this mic anywhere & the companies home page doesn't want to work.

Something like this would be very useful for when music or video is playing but instead I have bought an HP RF Media remote which as well as being useful for programming my harmony one I'll tie it into a one button press to mute volume & resume VC.
Chances are I've searched the forum, searched the wiki & scoured You Tube but I'm just to thick to work it out without help!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2356.msg20287

I'm not sure why their website hasn't been updated at all.  Oh it's completely offline now?  That's actually an improvement since you can't buy one from them anymore.