Author Topic: IFTTT or how to integrate with home assistant  (Read 6548 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: IFTTT or how to integrate with home assistant
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
ok cool thanks again!  ^-^

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »
cheers
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
@IKROWNI -- out of curiosity, have you ever used IFTTT's Amazon Alexa service?

https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

I'm just curious what it actually accomplishes. The feature is only available in the U.S., so I can't read the documentation for it.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

wannaspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
@IKROWNI -- out of curiosity, have you ever used IFTTT's Amazon Alexa service?

https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

I'm just curious what it actually accomplishes. The feature is only available in the U.S., so I can't read the documentation for it.

I know this was directed to IKROWNI, but I have used the Alexa IFTTT. It definitely has some limitations.  From what I have seen it only works one way. You tell Alexa the "IF" part and choose a service to "Then that". For example I have 2 applets that work together, one raises my phone's volume to 100% the other has IFTTT call my phone. So I say "Alexa, Trigger find my phone" She sends the command to IFTTT it raises the volume and calls me.

You can also have Alexa send a file to dropbox and then have VC watch that folder to issue a command for you. But I find these type of commands a bit on the slow side.

The Alexa phrase command is probably the most useful, there are others like if an item is added to my Alexa to do list, or an item is added or removed from my shopping cart, but I think they aren't as useful.

Unfortunately Alexa has no way to accept commands from other services. So you couldn't send Alexa an sms to turn off the lights or play song/movie x. However I found a workaround using Roger from the phone to send commands to Alexa, but this is not using IFTTT. Hope that helps give you an idea of some of Alexa and IFTTT's capabilities.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »
@wannaspeed -- thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. Happy to have folks to chime in in any thread if there's an unanswered question that you can contribute to.

I asked IKROWNI because he had been actively seeking help with his Alexa stuff at the time, so I thought he would be subscribed to that thread.

By the way, "Alexa" is the kind of unique multisyllabic prefix that is likely to work well as a prefix or even as "start listening" phrase. I'm pretty sure that's why Amazon selected it.

One of our users has been using "Alexander" for years.

See also: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1812

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 11:03:31 AM »
The whole reason for this is because as far as i know vox isnt compatible with the echo dot so i am using home assistant so that i can give alexa commands to turn various things on/off.

IKROWNI--in case you haven't been following the other thread, Dave has great news for those of you with access to Amazon Echo and Dot (which are not sold in Canada).

Dave has been experimenting with his Dot in Germany. He has just made a nice video that demonstrates using a custom skill that he created to communicate directly between the Dot and Vox (using VC's TCP web server--no other software required).

::bow Let us all bow in gratitude to Dave, who has put in the time to open up a world of possibilities.  ::bow

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2672.msg22987#msg22987

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
The instruction to install an "EchoToVC"-Skill are now online:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2682.0

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 01:24:57 AM »
Now if only amazon would open up push notifications.