Author Topic: Key Words instead of phrases  (Read 2875 times)

user13

• View Profile
Key Words instead of phrases
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »
Hi

i was wondering if anyone know of way to use key words instead of typing each difference phrase of saying something.
for example if i want to turn on the kitchen lights i could use;
- Turn kitchen on
- kitchen lights on
- switch on the kitchen lights.

is there a way to use the key words (kitchen, Lights, On) and not have to worry about the order they are in?
so if i want to say "please switch Kitchen lights on", it will still work.

i think this will help a lot if you forget some commands or you dont use them often. you wont have to remember how you exactly set it up, or if you have more than one user they can say it their own way, which then will lead to the kitchen Lights turning on.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:46:13 AM by user13 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Key Words instead of phrases
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »
No.  If such a thing were possible, even the simplest of command trees would start to exhibit unwanted side effects such as false positives or commands interfering with each other.

By using multiple phrases, aliases, optional phrases, payloads, and when needed, multiple commands that do the same thing, we can create flexible phrasing that is easy to remember and feels somewhat natural, but ultimately you must do the thinking yourself to come up with a phrasing scheme that works for you without creating unwanted side effects.

To think that we could just throw a bunch of words at the computer and let it sort it out would be to expect true artificial intelligence, or "magic".

Try experimenting with the tools available to create more flexible phrasing while still maintaining strict rules to avoid ambiguity between commands.  You'll be surprised at what you can come up with if you use what is already available and a bit of imagination.

user13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
hi

thanks for the reply, i was thinking maybe there's something i can check or some way of writing it using some wildcards.
i'll try to play around to see what i can come up with.

On a different note i use AutoVoice for Android (not sure if you are familiar with) and it allows you to do what i mentioned before without having to trigger any false positives, it just the way you write the phrase including some tags that help.
i thought maybe there's something like this with Vox and i'm missing it.

thanks

EDIT: if i use something like "{LastSpoken}" and create an IF statement saying, if it contains (Kitchen, light, and ON) to trigger lights on. what do you think, and would there be any issues with this?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:46:36 AM by user13 »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:14:11 AM »
EDIT: if i use something like "{LastSpoken}" and create an IF statement saying, if it contains (Kitchen, light, and ON) to trigger lights on. what do you think, and would there be any issues with this?

What phrase would you use to trigger this command that then evaluates your {LastSpoken}?

Autovoice is of course relying on Google Search's very sophisticated algorithm, unbeatable cloud resources, and ginormous corpus of user searches and voice patterns. The wildcard implementation stems from Google Search's wildcard capabilities. Google is no doubt a lot closer to an "AI" than a single computer can be. (Though I suspect that as a home automation solution, Autovoice is more feasible for folks with only a few things they're trying to control.)

My experience in 5 years of using VC has been that it is pretty painless to add or change phrasing when I find that my initial phrasing is too hard to remember-- or if I want a few different options (usually it's really only 2 or 3 different variations tops). Coming up with elaborate logic to handle more ambiguous voice commands might, in the end, take a lot more effort. Something to experiment with, I guess.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

user13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
thanks for clarifying.
and you are right i use AutoVoice for a couple of things, but i thought a similar approach could be possible.

i have used VOX commando for a long time, but then stopped due to mic issues, now that i'm back it i want to finish setting it up with all my commands.

Something like the example i mentioned in my first post, anything that would include these three words for example.
this will not be the case of course for every command, some things are fine the way they are. it's just with the Lights that phrases change a bit and either i or someone else would say a command to turn on the lights slightly different, so i thought instead of writing every possible way that there could be something i'm missing and you could do something with Key Words, wildcards.

thanks for the quick responses

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
The way autovoice and VC work to recognize and process speech could not be more different so there is no point in comparing them.