Author Topic: Last chance to buy an Amulet Remote. DIRT CHEAP!!!  (Read 10710 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Last chance to buy an Amulet Remote. DIRT CHEAP!!!
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
Our beloved Amulet Remote is being discontinued.  :'( They are selling off the rest of their stock, and then you won't be able to buy them any more.  The good news is that they are practically giving them away!  :o

Here is what Eddy from Amulet Devices wrote to me today:

Hi James,

Hope you're keeping well.

We're doing a stock clearance at Amulet to get rid of our last few voice remote controls, and I thought your users might be interested. We're selling the remaining units off at $34 each (about £22, or €30), including VAT and free delivery.

Yes, after a good run since our initial launch back in 2010, it's finally time to call it a day. While we still have a regular trickle of sales, they're not enough to sustain the company on an ongoing basis.

So, the current stock clearance will run until 18 October, and then ... no more Amulets!

The offer is available directly through our website at http://www.amuletdevices.com/ and we have a brief blog piece at http://www.amuletdevices.com/blog/index.php/amulet-stock-clearance.html

Thanks for your help and support over the years, and hopefully our next product will soon be available. I will of course continue to support Amulet as best I can into the future.

Kind regards,

Eddy Carroll
Amulet Devices

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Last chance to buy an Amulet Remote. DIRT CHEAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:06:05 PM »
 :'(  bad news that the company give up ::wave

Very good news about the price, only 34$ each is a absolute bargain - this remind me on how much I payed for the amulet  ::club  but in fact - it is one of the best device for using with VoxCommando!
***********  get excited and make things  **********

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
Agreed, too bad to hear re the company. But the price is definitely firesale. I was always more interested in hands free alternatives but Im definitely going to help out clearing the stock. Thanks for the heads up.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
I don't think I am allowed to give an exact figure but I can say that they are selling them for much less than it cost to manufacture them...   ::confused

Voice control for Windows is not a great way to make money for anyone it seems...  :biglaugh

Well except maybe for Dragon...

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:11:54 AM »
Bad news. Despite its flaws, Amulet was a really unique product. On the other hand, as far as I know, it didn't improve much since the first batch, so all the problems with learning capabilities and battery drain in stand-by mode are still there - please, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, is it just me, or their website is down?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
BTW, is it just me, or their website is down?

It's working for me at the moment.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
I've never had any problems with battery life on either of my Amulets.  They last longer on a charge than any wireless microphone I know of and they are super easy to charge via USB.  I charge mine overnight about once a week, before it is depleted.

IR learning is useless but having an MCE remote with microphone is perfect for me. Combined with UUIRT and EventGhost you can do more than with a learning remote as long as your PC is running.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 01:26:41 PM »
Oh BTW I think there was only ever one large batch of remotes manufactured although there may have been some minor firmware updates along the way.

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
I've never had any problems with battery life on either of my Amulets.  They last longer on a charge than any wireless microphone I know of and they are super easy to charge via USB.  I charge mine overnight about once a week, before it is depleted.

IR learning is useless but having an MCE remote with microphone is perfect for me. Combined with UUIRT and EventGhost you can do more than with a learning remote as long as your PC is running.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get USB-UIRT+EventGhost to work with volume changing on my Pioneer receiver. It changes one point when I press the button, but won't change fast while I hold it. So I still need my receiver remote. :(

Anyway, I will still buy some of the remaining stock, cause the price is great!

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
I've bought one :)

Reckon it'll be useful in the dining room.

Xxx
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:23:38 PM »
Sadly, I wasn't able to get USB-UIRT+EventGhost to work with volume changing on my Pioneer receiver.

I am able to control the volume of my Onkyo that way without any issues, but that is because I control the Onkyo via ethernet.  I don't think you can do it if you are using IR unless your receiver is unable to see the IR from your Amulet because then it would be receiving two signals at once which it won't understand.  I have this problem with my TV which I can only control using IR but I don't need to adjust the volume on the TV much and I just use voice commands for it when I do.

I agree that the Amulet was not perfect and I'd like to see something else come along that is even better.  It could be improved on in many ways at least theoretically.  Sadly I don't think there is enough of a market for it.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
Sucks to see the amulet being discontinued, I like the remote, but I use it with eventghost, it does get annoying when it sends out a different IR signal when pressing the button multiple times, or having it send the record button IR signal when I'm just turning the volume up, but the microphone benefits outnumber the problems

Sadly, I wasn't able to get USB-UIRT+EventGhost to work with volume changing on my Pioneer receiver. It changes one point when I press the button, but won't change fast while I hold it. So I still need my receiver remote. :(

there are couple different things you can do to get around this

1) is what jitterjames said, having the receiver hidden or in another room, so its not seeing the IR signals from the remote and IR blaster at the same time (the best option, but not always doable)

2) instead of having it adjust the volume by 1, have it adjust by a bigger number, like 3 at a time, this is done in eventghost by using a .55 second wait and then adding the volume up or down commands 3 times,

3) create a new macro in eventghost, start with a .55 second wait and then add 10 volume Up or Down actions, then add "Jump if double pressed" to the bottom of your regular volume macro and have it execute your new volume macro, then to turn the volume up or down by ten you would just hit the button twice in X amount of time and it would turn the volume Up or down by ten

the only one of these options that will give you the same feel as a normal remote is the 1st one, the other ones work but take a little bit for people to get used to,

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:18 AM »
3) create a new macro in eventghost, start with a .55 second wait and then add 10 volume Up or Down actions, then add "Jump if double pressed" to the bottom of your regular volume macro and have it execute your new volume macro, then to turn the volume up or down by ten you would just hit the button twice in X amount of time and it would turn the volume Up or down by ten

Wow, I like this solution, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:43:50 AM »
I agree that the Amulet was not perfect and I'd like to see something else come along that is even better.  It could be improved on in many ways at least theoretically.  Sadly I don't think there is enough of a market for it.
You're right about the market. Actually, I don't know anyone (except for guys from the forum) who uses voice recognition at his home. I think, the problem is that it usually requires a lot of tweaking and DIY stuff, so attracts only geeks like us  ;D

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
Actually, I don't know anyone (except for guys from the forum) who uses voice recognition at his home.

Us, and all those Elite Dangerous guys, it seems.  :biglaugh

But they'd mostly be using headsets for voice control, presumably.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)