Author Topic: Tasker + VoxCommando = Home Control App  (Read 10683 times)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Tasker + VoxCommando = Home Control App
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:38:40 AM »
After all the talk of Imagination  ;) http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2307.msg19935#msg19935

I created this App using Tasker Scenes and Voxcommando, all commands get passed to VC,

I use this as a secondary remote in my living room, there can be a delay at times but nothing to major

If you want to import the scenes for the app in this video follow the post bellow
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2353.msg20535#msg20535

how to videos: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2353.msg20512#msg20512
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:41:38 PM by PegLegTV »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Tasker + VoxCommando = Home Control App
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
Wow, great work  ::bow :clap
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
Looks like you have a pretty complete customized solution there.

I like your PegLegTV animated intro. Have you used that before, or does that mean we can expect to see more vids in the future?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
Fantastic!  ::bow

So how is the app actually made?  Are all those menus created in Tasker, or do you use some kind of web page?

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
Wow, great work  ::bow :clap
Thanks  ;D

Looks like you have a pretty complete customized solution there.

I like your PegLegTV animated intro. Have you used that before, or does that mean we can expect to see more vids in the future?

Thanks,  ;D this is the first time that I have used it, I'm hoping to keep making videos on home automation, not sure how often though

Fantastic!  ::bow

So how is the app actually made?  Are all those menus created in Tasker, or do you use some kind of web page?

Thanks,   ;D The app is several scenes (all made in Tasker) tied to each other, I leave them as scenes so I can update them with out having to create an app every time, in total there are 22 scenes, I couldn't show the last one in the video due to how I recorded it but I have VoxWav Pro running in the back ground, so when I tip the tablet up I have a little Microphone show up and then when I tip the tablet back down it closes, very similar to how voxwav and voxwavpro do it, mine just shows up everywhere, makes it easier for the family to know they turned the mic on

Thanks again  ::wiggle

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 06:22:37 PM »
sorry for the long delay on the Tutorials but I finally got them done,

Note: when making the artwork for my backgrounds I had to make them smaller then my screen resolution for some reason, so if my screen was 1920x1080 then I made them 960x540

In Part one I go over how to create the main scene and side menus for the home control app, walk through how to setup stroke direction and if statements with in the actions

In part two I walk you through how to setup the home control section of the app, I also go over different types of input methods used within some of my scenes, such as launching another scene, sliders, and using builtin images

In part 3 I go over how to launch another app from with in the app that we have created and create a scene that will take you back into the new app after looking at another, I also show how to create drop down menus (spinners), number pickers and how to launch your new app from your home screen on your device

Let me know if I missed anything  :D

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:30:03 PM by PegLegTV »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
Wow.  You've been busy.  I think there was a flood of other posts on the forum just after you posted this so it got a bit buried.

It's going to take me a while to digest all of this I think.  I'm going to have to try to actually implement some of it or I don't think it will make sense to me.  I'm not that familiar with Tasker in general.

This must have taken you a long time to put together.  I appreciate the effort and I hope that others will as well and that they will benefit from it.  Until I saw your demo earlier I did not even know that you could create these types of interactive menu systems in Tasker.

I am just curious if it is possible to share some kind of xml of your scenes in order to "hit the ground running" instead of having to start from scratch?  I realize there may be a problem w.r.t. images that you are referencing, but I think since there are so many steps it would be great to have an example to browse through and play with a bit, so that then the tutorials would make more sense.  I don't want to create a lot of extra work for you though, so unless it is as simple as exporting an xml file don't worry about it!  Hopefully it will translate and we would just need to go and edit the buttons to put in images etc.

Thanks again.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
Here are the xmls for all the scenes and the Task that will launch the app,

how to use the attached scenes and tasks:

1.) download the attached folder and unzip

2.) transfer to your device (tasks go in-- tasker/tasks) (scenes go in-- tasker/scenes)

3.) launch tasker,click "TASKS" tab, then click "TASKS" tab again a little menu should appear select import
     (once you select import it should take you to the correct folder)
4.) select the Remote.tsk.xml

5.)click "SCENES" tab, then click "SCENES" tab again a little menu should appear select import
     (once you select import it should take you to the correct folder)
6.)select a scene

7.) repeat 5 and 6 until all scenes are imported

Before launching the app you will need to do the following:

1.) Change/add all the images in every scene

2.) change http actions to fit your IP:port and change events and payloads (to fit your needs)

3.) you may have to change the size of text in the text actions

4.) you may have to resize some or all images and scenes

Caution: some of the scenes can not be closed by using the home or back button and will cause you to restart your tablet, make sure any scene you launch while testing has a way to exit

the back grounds for some reason may give you a little trouble,

when trying to edit the background, the image may not show up in the scene editor but shows up when launching the scene, if that fails then you will need to do the following

long press the background image and select "Set Foreground"

select the item to edit it

Copy all actions and transfer them to a new Image

then long press and set as background

Tip: if you want an easy way of transferring your scenes and images to your tablet/phone I would Recommend buying Wifi File Explorer pro from the google play store for $0.99 (its well worth it)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:29:52 PM by PegLegTV »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
I'm stuck on step 3.  Long pressing on a task does not show me a menu with the import option.  If I click the house icon at the bottom left then I get an import option but it wants to import a "project" whatever that is.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
OK I figured it out.

I think step 3 should read "tap on the "TASKS" tab at the top of the main screen....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:06:44 PM by jitterjames »

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Update the post above for

long click on the "TASKS" tab
long click on the "SCENES" tab

thanks for the heads up

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
It's actually just "tap" on mine, not long click.

Maybe I should delete these follow up posts once you edit it to avoid confusion.

1st tap the "SCENES tab to go to scenes, then tap it again to get the menu.

same for Tasks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:10:41 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »

wow.  It sucks that you must do these one at a time!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
unfortunately I am getting a lot of exclamation marks in triangles that I don't seem to be able to edit.  Maybe it's not really possible to export and import this way between different devices.  Anyway, hopefully I will still be able to browse around to see some of what you did.

If it's an element you can edit it and select a new image, but if it's a background there does not seem to be any way to fix it, other than to clear the scene completely, then add a new one. :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:23:14 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Looking at the xml I can see a path like this:

/storage/sdcard0/Download/Side Menu/side menu.png

so probably I could create this image or remove this item from the xml before importing it.