Author Topic: This Voice Cannot be Played. Unable to select voice under TTS  (Read 6707 times)

II39

• View Profile
This Voice Cannot be Played. Unable to select voice under TTS
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
I recently started using VoxCommando and after about the first few times of hearing MS default TTS "Anna" I knew right away it was time to find another voice. I originally followed the video "
VoxCommando 2 - Getting started with MS Speech Platform 11" thinking it would allow me to use some of the free MS TTS voices. While doing this I also downloaded the Inova demo for the UK Brian and US Joey.

Once everything was installed I tried selecting another voice the VoxCommando TTS plugin and was given an error.
Code: [Select]
"Failed to create voice / speak:
System.Runtime.Interop.Servics.COMException(0x8004503A): Exception from
HRESULT: 0x8004503A
at SpeechLub.ISpeechVoice.Speak(String Text, SpeechVoiceSpeakFlag Flags)
at vcPlugin.ctlMain.testvoice()

Changing the voices under the Windows Speech Recognition and Text Speech works, but if I try changing the voices under "Windows\sysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\SAPI.cpl" and I am given the Error "This voice cannot be played. Please try selecting another voice or selecting a different  audio output device. If anyone has had this issue before or could point me in the right direction to find the answer. I've spent the past two days googling and pulling my hair out trying to get it resolved.

Windows 7 Pro Tried both VoxCommando 2.1.4.8 and 2.2.0.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: This Voice Cannot be Played. Unable to select voice under TTS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »
It's odd and I don't really know the solution.  I have never had this problem.

Perhaps these voices only work in 64 bit applications and not in 32 bit.  Ironically VC was kept as a 32 bit app with some effort specifically because more voices seemed to work in 32 bit mode.  I don't know if that is still true, but now there are a lot of other reasons not to switch to 64 bit because it would break stuff.

The only suggestion off the top of my head is to try running VC as administrator (as in right-click and choose run as administrator), but it's a long shot.

I have tested Ivona demo voices in the past and they worked, but I do recall them acting up under certain circumstances.  I use normal Ivona voices without any issues.  Some voices don't share well, so you must make sure they are not being used by another program.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »
The fact that you can't select the voice using "Windows\sysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\SAPI.cpl" is a sign to me that the voice may not be compatible with 32 bit programs.

Where did you download the trial voices?  Can you provide a link please?  I am having trouble finding them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:05:09 PM by jitterjames »

II39

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
The fact that you can't select the voice using "Windows\sysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\SAPI.cpl" is a sign to me that the voice may not be compatible with 32 bit programs.
Thats what I figured, but even the default Anna gives the error. Something has gotten messed up with the 32bit tts. Ive hit a wall with searching for answers. I know its not a VC issue because other people have had this issue just no one seems to have an answer so I thought I would try here.
Where did you download the trial voices?  Can you provide a link please?  I am having trouble finding them.

http://visionaid.com/phpincludes/en/support/voices/voices.php

*EDIT: Forgot to add I've already tried running as Admin
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:05:58 AM by II39 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
If Anna does not work then it does sound like something got corrupted.  Short of doing a full reinstall I can only suggest trying to do a system restore, or possibly a repair.

You should also make sure it is not an audio output issue.  Try selecting an output in the TTS settings if you have not already done so.

II39

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:50 PM »
After almost 2 weeks of messing with this problem I've finally been able to get the voices working.

I went through and removed every program I could find dealing with TTS and audio. After reinstalling my sound drivers and VC I went to select the default Anna and got an error for not having MSVCR110.dll installed. I researched and found out it was part of Visual C++. I installed both the x64 and x86 and still received errors.

I searched both the System32 and SystemWOW64 folders and found that the MSVCR110.dll was not in this folder. After manually adding it I was not able to select Anna and not receive any errors.

I then installed the VisionAid Ivona Demo voices I mentioned above and still received the voice cannot be selected error. I was able to find another "demo" for the voices. I uninstalled the VisionAid demo and installed the new demo. I was met with the voices cannot be selected error and all voices, including Anna.

I ended up reinstalling the VisionAid demo and while those voice still gave me an error the new "demo" voices now worked.