Author Topic: Allways on Mic/remote set up  (Read 2989 times)

Neflhiem

• View Profile
Allways on Mic/remote set up
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Good morning.

I was reading about Amazons new Echo device and it got me thinking and that led me here.

First. the end state goal.

I would like to be able to walk into the room and give a command such as "jarvis, watch tv". Jarvis of course being the "wake up and listen" command and "watch tv" (this corresponds to my Logitech Harmony remote) trigger some IR device to turn on tv, set reciever, ect (like the Harmony does).

My HTPC is always on. I would also like this set up to control the HTPC.

I cant imagine this is as difficult as it looks from browsing online. My HTPC is always on and would think with the right software (something similar to Google Now) and some sort of PC controlled IR blaster, i could do this.

The Amazon Echo device looks like its getting there, but i dont see that it connects directly to a PC or other IR devices. I havent seen any IR remotes that have an "always on" function either (the Amulet you need to pick up-pointless as its just as easy to push the button on my remote if i have to do this).

Has anyone seen any type of set up similar?

I guess what would be perfect. is something similar to a Logitech Harmony (or other such remote). that i can plug in to the outlet on the oppisite wall, thats always listening.

2exclusive

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Allways on Mic/remote set up
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
As of yet there is no Echo Integration with VC that I am aware of, But you can accomplish pretty much everything you mentioned using VoxCommando with an open mic setup and Jarvis being the prefix to your commands. you can install VC on your HTPC use USBUIRT to turn on tv, cable box etc... Your HTPC can be controlled with VoxCommando buy leveraging the KODI plugin and other plugins mentioned on VC's Wiki. Also you can look into global tach IR which works over wifi

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051BU418/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BN16H7XM463I&coliid=I2Y4RHGAAL8DO7

other members here can chime in and add any additional info i may have missed, but there are plenty of options using VC, that is the beauty of it.

hope this helps a little

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
I would add to that that even with an open air mic there are always situations when a remote is going to be easier than voice commands.

If you're OK with the idea of an always on Logitech Harmony then maybe you could consider an Android on a docking station or something like that. VoxWav Pro has an always on mode. At least it's a good, cheap way to test things out if you already have an Android.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=VoxWav

In terms of HTPC control, voice control is especially excellent for asking for specific things -- playlists, songs/artists/albums by title, queuing a specific set of songs by title ("Queue playlist favourites, add artist Joan Armatrading, mix in some jazz tracks, add song All Along the Watchtower"), asking for a particular movie to play, specific episodes or seasons of a series, setting volume to a specific setting, etc. Once you've been doing this for years, it is hard to imagine going back to "old school" navigation with just a remote. But I still regularly pick up the remote to pause the movie by hand.

This is true whether one is using an Amulet or an always on solution. However the Amulet (or VoxWav) are generally more reliable ways to issue voice commands, with fewer issues than most open-mic solutions that most people are trying to use.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
VoxCommando is definitely what you are looking for.

If you like Jarvis, take a look at this interface of mine.
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2253.msg19600#msg19600