Author Topic: OSD.ShowText - is it possible to show the tab char?  (Read 1828 times)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
OSD.ShowText - is it possible to show the tab char?
« on: June 24, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
I want the OSD.ShowText to show something like this:
Code: [Select]
1 message1 date1
2 message2 date2
3 message3 date3

Since the text lenght for message can vary slightly, I would like to use the tab char instead of regular spaces. Is it possible?
I've tried both "\t" and {TAB} but they don't work.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: OSD.ShowText - is it possible to show the tab char?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
I don't think it's possible.  If it is worth the effort you could always create an html document and display it in RoboBrowser or something.  Or you could write your own OSD receiver program and send it messages, then display them however you like.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »
I tried to create a {TAB} variable but this won't work in the OSD anyway because I am using a label control and it just ignores tabs completely.  I would need to make significant changes to the OSD to use something else and at the moment I am not too keen on doing that.  :biglaugh

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »
Thanks James!

No need to bother, let it go...
I think I'll then go the easy way for now. I will create a fake tab spacer in python, which will crop messages at a certain max lenght and fill both the smaller messages and the cropped messages with a certain number of spaces to fill the column.
However I'll probably end up having to do like you said with a table in html and RoboBrowser displaying it because I may have too many lines to display, then some paging would be mostly desirable. Oh well, the fun never ends...

Thank you!