Author Topic: Voice Control Failure  (Read 2430 times)

OklahomaGreyBeard

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Voice Control Failure
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
Just thought you may be interested in the beta version of VOXWhosOnFirst...... 

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Voice Control Failure
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
 :biglaugh :biglaugh

Ha ha! Poor guy. How frustrating.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
I'd be curious to know whether a "generic" Norwegian speech recognition would work in that scenario. Windows SP 11 does have a Norwegian engine, but I don't know how well it handles different dialects.

In English there are different engines to try to better serve different English dialects, but a lot of other cultures still are stuck with one engine no matter what version of a language you speak.

Actually, I have a question for our German folks: Does the German engine struggle with some German dialects? I don't expect it to understand Swiss or anything extreme like that, but have you noticed whether it works better for certain German dialects than for others?

Post Script: If anyone is interested, users have recorded VC demos in a variety of languages (Dutch, German, Portuguese, Russian), while others are able to use VC in English despite having very strong accents.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:16:06 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
At least with the regular version of VC you can train it so even with a strong accent you may be able to get pretty good results.  It will of course depend on your command structure.  I doubt that any standard SR tech in a car would have the ability to train it.

Let us not forget about the amount of noise in a car that the system would need to deal with.  In theory a factory installed SR system could be "tuned" to filter out a lot of it and if the microphone is in the steering wheel with some basic noise cancellation technology that would be a pretty good start.

I'm just blaberring... :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:08:51 PM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »
I think my new prefix will be "I am commanding you to:"

You won't get any false positives with that one!  ::eyebrows

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
I doubt that any standard SR tech in a car would have the ability to train it.

The Audi system does have speech training capability.

I wonder if the guy in the video did any training. Possibly not.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:16:24 PM by nime5ter »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »
I think he has borrowed the car from a dealer and tried the speech feature.
I've tried long time ago VC in my car (with english and german SR) and it has worked very well, even in noisy environments (prefix mode).

@nime: Yes, the german dialects make a big difference - there are some dialects which I can't really understand as a german  ;D  (for example: Swiss German or Bavarian German)
and James is absolute right - it is possible to train the SR a bit with the dialect, but the german engine works at best with "standard german" without any dialect  ::eyebrows 

At least the SR enginge works at best in english - even better with my bad english as in geman  ::)
***********  get excited and make things  **********