Author Topic: IFTTT - Get alerts in VoxCommando when a new release is announced  (Read 5088 times)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
One of various methods one could use to trigger alerts in VoxCommando when James announces new releases.

https://ifttt.com/recipes/281742-voxcommando-twitter-alert-push-notification

The recipe can be changed, but it's currently set up to use the Watcher plugin's first feature, which literally reads a text file when it appears in the watched folder and executes any actions as specified.

See screenshot.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:21:01 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

epotex

• View Profile
Re: IFTTT - Get alerts in VoxCommando when a new release is announced
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »
Another IFTTT.com useful channel (released last week)
https://ifttt.com/maker
We can easily trigger it with scrape :) you can connect it with text messages/phone/emails and all the other channels on ifttt

I use it to send me a text when I'm out of the apt and the main door is opened....

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  ::banana

This is very exciting.  I'm experimenting with it now.  IFTTT should have offered this from day 1 in my opinion!

Although it doesn't allow us to do anything new really, it is a much better solution than sending emails to IFTTT and having to use DropBox and Watcher.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

This is very exciting.  I'm experimenting with it now.  IFTTT should have offered this from day 1 in my opinion!

Exactly my thoughts ... It makes any program that can send & receive web requests fully integrated with IF ...
I am experimenting with it since it came out few days ago... Already half way revising my commands ...
The best part VC can trigger various IF recipes in such easy direct way
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
I'm interested in sending info from IFTTT to VC (using VC's TCP plugin / simple web server), but the problem I see at the moment is that it doesn't support any kind of security, which means we would need to open up our simple web server to the web.  Seems problematical...

Also I can't get the IFTTT gmail channel to work at all.  Very annoying.

The simple web server in VC's TCP plugin currently does not support any kind of security.  I'm sure I could add some without too much difficulty, and at some point I will, but even if I do, there is no way to use it with IFTTT's maker channel, other than using a password on the url itself.  Better than nothing I guess.

Going the other way (from VC to IFTTT) definitely looks promising, except that I can't think of any situation where I would actually use that, but I guess that's because I don't really use IFTTT in my normal life.  I guess it would give us a way to automate tweets or something like that, or maybe it's another way to send push notifications to our mobile devices, if they are running the IF app?

Thoughts anyone?

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
The simple web server in VC's TCP plugin currently does not support any kind of security.  I'm sure I could add some without too much difficulty, and at some point I will, but even if I do, there is no way to use it with IFTTT's maker channel, other than using a password on the url itself.  Better than nothing I guess.
not sure if that of any use ... as if somebody sniff the traffic, (s)he will get it anyway ... for hobby hackers, I put an HTML with scary text "if you do not close your browser, your drive C will be formated"... but I might be wrong

Going the other way (from VC to IFTTT) definitely looks promising, except that I can't think of any situation where I would actually use that, but I guess that's because I don't really use IFTTT in my normal life.  I guess it would give us a way to automate tweets or something like that, or maybe it's another way to send push notifications to our mobile devices, if they are running the IF app?
aside from sending personalized notifications (instaPush sends the same message to all devices)... I am working on a "synced" reminders between VC and iOS, so if I say "Niles, remind me to wash my PC!!!!" aside from creating a reminder in VC, it will send the info to IFTTT to create a reminder in my phone to wash my PC  :bonk

not sure what android offers ... but for iOS this a big step for integration with VC

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:33:10 AM by Haddood »

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »
not sure if that of any use ... as if somebody sniff the traffic, (s)he will get it anyway ... for hobby hackers, I put an HTML with scary text "if you do not close your browser, your drive C will be formated"... but I might be wrong
aside from sending personalized notifications (instaPush sends the same message to all devices)... I am working on a "synced" reminders between VC and iOS, so if I say "Niles, remind me to wash my PC!!!!" aside from creating a reminder in VC, it will send the info to IFTTT to create a reminder to wash my PC  :bonk

not sure what android offers ... but for iOS this a big step for integration with VC

@Haddood, I added in a pushbullet notification with my "reminders with a memory" so it will notify my phone when my reminders are done in case I'm not home. so I don't have to make 2 different reminders (PC and Phone)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:30 AM »
@Haddood, I added in a pushbullet notification with my "reminders with a memory" so it will notify my phone when my reminders are done in case I'm not home. so I don't have to make 2 different reminders (PC and Phone)

But can you see the reminders from your phone? As a list?

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
not as of now, but "Reminders with a memory" keeps a log file of all reminders that are currently set, so if someone wanted to they could make a command that would read that log file and have it sent to the phone with pushbullet, text, or email, you could probably have it send the remaining time of each reminder as well, if you are trying to get it from out side your network then you could use IFTTT to trigger the command

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:31:39 AM »
the solution I am working on "syncs" your reminders with those of iOS... if I create a reminder on one platform, IFTTTT will send the info to create the same one on the other :)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Sweet  :D