Author Topic: Wink Hub - anyone using this device?  (Read 7969 times)

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Wink Hub - anyone using this device?
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
Hi,
I use this device.  I wanted to start playing around with HA and did not want to invest a lot in the beginning.  I am interested in adding control of my Wink hub managed devices.  I was just curious if anyone else uses this device?

Soda97

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Wink Hub - anyone using this device?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
Wow.  You nailed it.  I missed this although I searched.  My hub went offline last night I and I was up until about 3AM trying to fix it.  I kept searching to see if something happened but I never found anything.

I can't believe something DID happen and now I get to be tired all day.

I've had it with this device.  I'm shopping.  Problem is... I don't know what to go with.  I know it should be a separate post and there are already probably discussions on here but on device that caught my eye was:

http://www.securifi.com/almondplus

Again, really a separate discussion but I thank you immesly for this notification.  Now I understand... Funny thing is, this thing has been rock solid until the 0.77.0 firmware update and then I started having goofiness with it, and now this.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »
Look into smart things hub ... I haven't tested it... But nice features and have active community ... And I think it has great potential to integrate with VC
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
I think SmartThings looks interesting but it is also cloud based.  Seems pretty similar to Wink.

Vera has a lot of problems (they probably all do) but I think it is still one of the better choices because it can run standalone.

If I were to try something new I think I would want to go with something I could run on a Windows or Linux system.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
I'm interested in Domoticz (I think we have at least one user here using a Domoticz HA system with VC using our standard tools, no special plugin), but my interest is purely theoretical at this point; I have no personal experience with it.

It seems like a fun solution for tinkerers, but maybe not for a more typical end user. My understanding is they have a pretty good community as well.

http://domoticz.com/
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
Hi,
I appreciate the responses and suggestions.  For now, I just got a Hue bridge since the only thing I need a hub for right now is the lights and it support the GE Link bulbs I have. 

I am curious about the SmartThings v2 hub. 

For now, I am covered for what I am doing so I'll wait a bit and see what comes out, changes, etc.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

tobias.

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »
I will keep all that you mentioned on my list.  Another interesting hub is the new Castle OS hub.  But I would rather use VC for voice rather than their implementation.  I don't know how that would work.  Also, it is expensive.

I'll wait until it has been out for a while and see what people say.  I'd rather not have to spend a lot to get what I want.  I don't need tremendously fancy, I just want something that works well, supports many devices, and doesn't lock me out of it completely.

Thanks,
tobias.

Soda97

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:07 PM »
CastleOS and its software is way overpriced!

Where are you from?  There's another one called Insteon.  It's easy to setup, reliable and ok price.

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
Just curious why you ask where I am from.  Seems funny... Or out of the blue...
Greenwood, IN, USA

It is seemingly overpriced because it is basically a custom PC.  In addition, even their software is expensive.  $200 and it is far from being complete...

But if the hub is really a compact win8 machine with custom software, I can see why they are charging a lot. Especially considering they are all about voice integration.

I only mentioned it because for some, it might be an interesting option.

I'd rather have usb sticks that support protocols and let the computer and some software handle everything rather than buying a 'hub'.  I understand why the clould is being used, but I don't like it and I don't want it.  I want control over the data, and I want control over the 'hub'.  I've been told the SmartThings 2 is supposed to have a LAN mode. 

I looked at Insteon.  They have a good reputation for stability and reliability.  But Insteon only wants to play with certain devices and I'd much rather have more options.  That's one reason I went ahead and got a Hue bridge.  It will work with my lights, and now I can have Hue lights if I want.  And it seems to be better designed.

I will probably do the instructions this weekend on changing the DNS servers on my router and getting new firmware pushed to my Wink hub (I actually have two).  But I don't really know what I am going to do with it after that.  The second one I have still has the original firmware with the SQL injection vulnerability.  I got it in case the community started blazing a trail with rooted Wink hubs.  I knew eventually the store shelves would have patched firmware units.

It is too bad that the protocols used in HA are sprouting and splitting and causing limitations for us, the consumer.  Although I want the technology to advance and get better, which may happen through competing protocols, at the same time it would be nice for a interoperable standard so that consumers don't wind up with Betamax players, or HD DVDs.  The mesh network topology seems effective.  It has allowed me to control lights outdoors where my wireless signal will not reach.  I thought it interesting that people exploring the Wink hub (which offers both Zigbee and Z-wave support) has a whitelist for products.  So devices that would work are intentionally disabled. 

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
Just curious why you ask where I am from.  Seems funny... Or out of the blue...

I can't speak for Soda97 but what country you live in is a major factor in home automation.  Different countries have different standards and even assuming the same hardware the availability and cost of items can vary a lot depending on where you live.

Soda97

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »
^^ yea exactly that.

Isn't only wink stuff works with wink hub and only hue lights work with hue bridge?  That's why you have 2 hubs?

I thought you just want something that works out of the box.  That's why I mentioned Insteon. It supports iOS , android and windows phone and any computer with Internet browser and also works with voxcommando.

Didn't know you are being so technical.  You can try build a custom pc with Voxcommando.  Can't go wrong with that.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »
I picked up a GE Link bulb at my local Home Depot for $20 CAD.  I think the Hue "Lux" is the equivalent bulb and it was $30.

Installation of the GE Link on my Hue Bridge was effortless and the bulb works fine.

Although it works with the plugin actions as expected, I see the errors in the light editor of the VoxCommando hue plugin and I will release an update to fix it soon.

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
Great.  The GE bulbs are cheaper and work with the Hue bridge like you said.  Only limitations I have noticed are they will not dim as low as Lux bulbs do.  Otherwise, pretty similar to the Lux bulb. 

Thank you.  I am glad they Hue bridge supports them so I could get away from the Wink hub :)

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
Got a SmartThings hub for XMAS and its a great box. Version 2 is coming out next month and will move some of the functionality out of the cloud, into the hub. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet but its controlling my garage, a few lights and switches- all without problem. I have a proximity sensor that triggers within a geographic fence. Also can sense WiFi phones etc. as they approach home. Interesting possibilities and a very large, active user base/forum. Maybe VC and ST sometime in the future- its REST based right now- apparently http is on the way with V2 as well.