Author Topic: Kinect v1 input level setting doesn't stick  (Read 3891 times)

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Kinect v1 input level setting doesn't stick
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:06:49 AM »
Hello all,
I have been on a quest to find the best solution for building my home automation, VR system.  I have spent time with various softwares and experimented with different microphones.  I know that using something close to the mouth with a shorter range works much better (Amulet, headset, phone).  I'd really like the ability to be free from having to have a device to communicate. 

At the local GameStop I can get Xbox 360 Kinects with PC adapters for $25.  Considering it was designed to be a room microphone I've been trying to make it work.  I've also tried a MXL A404 mic.  Much of what I have read on here is absolutely true.  Kinect microphones are great at picking up noise.  They are more difficult to get good VR.  They take a lot of tweaking.

I know this much.  You have to set the input level low.  But I am experiencing an issue when using the Kinect with VC.  No sooner do go into the control panel and set the input level, almost immediately my confidence levels drop and I check and the level is always back up around 50.  Can anyone let me know how to prevent this?  I do not use automatic gain,  AEC, or beam angle.  In addition, my best results come from disabling streaming.

I realize the Kinect may never work out unless the house is quiet and everything is set right. But I don't have a chance if the input level keeps increasing to 50.  That makes the Kinect useless.

Maybe in the end I will use a combination of VoxWav Pro, Kinect, Amulet, or other devices, but at $25 it is worth trying to make it work. 

Oh, and without volume reduction when speaking (watching a move and want to pause) again it is pointless.

I have read discussion on here about utilizing tools to target voice frequencies, enhance voice, decrease noise.  I have done my own experimentation and so far nothing has made much difference.

I don't know if jitterjames will see this but I have to say I  am so thoroughly impressed with the documentation here.  I know that it is easy to put off documentation and work on the project, like so many do.  But the documentation here is fantastic and I am so grateful that it is here.  The training videos are excellent too.  Thank you for spending the time creating documenting and training us so that we can better understand, use, and benefit from VoxCommando.  Oh, and VoxCommando itself is so impressive.  The ability to build XML through GUI, and all of the in depth customization options are amazing.  I'm sorry to say I still haven't gotten the ball rolling full force yet with this software but I'm trying to take my time and grasp it before digging in. 

Great work!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Kinect v1 input level setting doesn't stick
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »
Hi tobiastobindev and welcome to VC-Forum.

Did you read this on our Wiki, maybe this will help you: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Kinect_audio
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
Welcome T...

Thanks for a very nice introductory post.  I can slice that up into several testimonials.  :biglaugh

As for the volume issue.  Did you try to use windows voice training with this profile?  If you do this it is important not to do the part where you set up the microphone and then read aloud: "Peter dictates to his computer. He prefers it to typing and particularly prefers it to pen and paper".  If you do this then Windows will have an opinion about what input level your microphone should be set to when using SR.  This can affect any type of microphone including the Kinect.  To be clear, you can and probably still should do training, but you should skip the step where you set up your microphone.

If you have already done this step you have a few options.

1 - Create a new speech profile and switch to it, then delete the old one.  This is probably your best option.
2 - See if you can find the registry entry where it stores this value.  I don't know what registry key it would be in or even if it exists, but someone out there might have already figured it out so you might be able to find it with a web search.
3 - VC has actions for setting the input volume.  If you can figure out when Windows is resetting the mic you can maybe set up some command in VC to reset the volume to the one you want.

Maybe you have not done this microphone set up.  In that case I'm not sure.  I don't have this issue with my Kinect, but i learned a long time ago not to do the microphone setup in Windows.

There could also be some other program running like Skype that is trying to "help" you by "fixing" your mic input levels.  :bonk

I have had some success using the streaming options for the Kinect in VC with both the regular and SP versions of Vox.  I notice the biggest difference when I use SP with the Kinect speech engine. But I don't like SP because it has no dictation and is not so great with numbers.

As far as settings go, I like to enable AEC, and a manual beam angle of 0, when I know the Kinect is always more or less pointed at where I sit.  AEC only works if you use directX audio output, so it's good if you are listening to music.  It doesn't work with surround sound, digital passthrough, WASAPI etc. and may even prevent the mic from working at all.

I still prefer Amulet and VoxWav.  Or a good wireless headset.

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for the quick response.  @Kalle, yes I did read that page.  It is helpful information.  It did not include (unless I am missing it) the exact issue I am experiencing though.

@jitterjames,
Yes, I did do the mic config 'Peter dictates to his computer....'.  I will do what you said and delete my trained profile, not configure the mic, and see how that goes.  I appreciate that nugget of info, I probably would have never made the association.

Regarding capturing the action changing the setting, where it may be stored in the registry, etc.  If it resorts to that I will find it and report back.  I bet if I use procmon https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx I can locate the registry setting and probably what is setting it.  BTW - to any of you troubleshooting procmon is a great tool to keep in the kit.  At first you may be like 'what?' but after you learn how to filter results it will help you locate locations of files of interest, registry settings, processes - it can be very helpful.

Thank you for the additional advice and suggestions.  Since I do own an Amulet remote and I bought VoxWav Pro, I will definitely make use of them.  Although, it is nice to have the option of saying a command while walking out of the room to be picked up by the Kinect.

I'll take your advice and see how it works out.

Thanks,
tobias.

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:39:37 PM »
@tobiastobindev

Hey tobiastobindev,

can I ask for some results. Do you have figured out a setting that works well for you? And if it is so, can you please explain it to me/use?

Thanks in advanced

Kind regards fishware

@ jitterjames

is it possible to set the beamangle?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
please take a look here, this will answered the most questions ( I think so)  :o

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Kinect_audio#Beam_forming_settings:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:45:54 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »
@ jitterjames

is it possible to set the beamangle?
You can set the beam angle using the setting "manual angle".  Maybe I don't understand your question.

If you mean, can we set the beam angle with an action, no it is not possible.

fishware

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »
You can set the beam angle using the setting "manual angle".  Maybe I don't understand your question.

If you mean, can we set the beam angle with an action, no it is not possible.

Yes, this was my intention. Thanks for the rapid answer

fishware