Author Topic: Problem sending accented characters with TellVox  (Read 1691 times)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
Problem sending accented characters with TellVox
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »
Hi!

Not sure if this is really a feature request, a bug, or the normal behavior, but let's go. Please move the thread accordingly for another forum if it is the case.

Intro:
In Portuguese (from Brazil or Portugal) we have some words that have completely different meanings if they are written with or without the correct accentuation. For those who are native English, it may sound weird, but in Portuguese the correct accentuation is crucial.
Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde

So, I'm now adapting and translating all the Kodi phrases and commands tha came with VC. Because I don't have access to my computer right now, I'm doing it remotely with Team Viewer and testing the new translated/adapted commands with TellVoxCommando.exe
When I send a command like "reproduzir álbum" with TellVoxCommando.exe, this phrase is not recognized by VC. If I change the phrase in the xml to "reproduzir album" (without the acute accent) and then test the same phrase (without the acute accent) through TellVoxCommando.exe, it does work.
So I'm wondering either VC or TellVoxCommando.exe (or both) are not prepared to work with accentuated chars.

This test has arisen a critical problem to me, because my plan is to use VC with everything in Portuguese.
Can't verify how the voice recognition in Windows deals with accentuation right now because I can't talk to the microphone on my computer since I'm away from home. But I firmly believe it will recognize accents and hence VC should be able to deal with them.

Could you please confirm or either correct me regarding this?
if this is currently the normal behavior and if it is going to be fixed in the near future?
Maybe this is a behavior only with TellVoxCommando.exe, so pardon me if I'm wrong about the assumption that VC will not work with accentuation.

Thank you in advance!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:08:03 PM by jitterjames »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re:Problem sending accented characters with TellVox
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
There is no problem in VC with accents. The problem you are experiencing is specifically with TellVox.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:08:13 PM by jitterjames »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
Re: Problem sending accented characters with TellVox
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »
Nice, thanks!
Is voxwav good with accents too?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:08:25 PM by jitterjames »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:20:54 PM »
Yes, VoxWav works very well. I have used VoxWav Pro in French without any issues.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:08:42 PM by jitterjames »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
I must correct myself:

Voice commands in French -- with or without accents -- work perfectly with VoxWav Pro. (That is usually how I use it.)

However, I have just tested using the touch-screen text commands in VoxWav, and any commands that have accented characters are not being executed, even though the log shows the accents properly.

This will be helpful for James diagnostically, though, so it's good that we have established this. :)

I will move this thread to the Bug Report board.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:08:34 PM by jitterjames »

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Thanks! Looking forward for a fix to Voxwav Pro. Take your time...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »
Here is a new version of TellVoxCommando (attached).

VoxWav has no problem with accented characters for voice commands.  It's only a problem when you "tap" to repeat a previous command and it's not even an issue for alternates.  A fix for this minor problem is in the works but it will take a bit longer.  I have a few other things to do on VoxWav before I release an update.

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
TellVox worked perfectly.
Thanks.