Author Topic: System.NullReferenceException...  (Read 2553 times)

chstuart

• View Profile
System.NullReferenceException...
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »
I am getting the following error message when I attempt to send a "Pause" or "Mute" command using USB-UIRT:

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     at vcPlugin.Plugin.do.SendCode(String p, Int32 repeat)"

I am worried that my USB-UIRT may not be working. System was working great for days, but suddenly I began getting this message every time Voxcommando tells the USB-UIRT to send IR codes. I am using the latest version of Voxcommando. I have tried this on two different computers. One is running Win 7 and the other Win 8. Both are having the same issue with the same USB-UIRT.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:11:08 PM by chstuart »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: System.NullReferenceException...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
I would suggest just unplugging the UUIRT and/or rebooting but if you are having the same problem with two different computers then I guess that won't help.

Did you try the UUIRT software, and did you ask on the UUIRT forums for help?

chstuart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
I have cruised the UIRT forum for something relative, but not much help so far. Can you tell me what the error code is saying? I love Voxcommando, BTW. Once I saw how easy it was to program, I was off to the races.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
That error means that some object is unexpectedly missing.  The problem is that it does not say which object is missing.  If there is a problem with your device then there could be an error earlier on that is preventing VC from creating the  object which allows us to talk to the UUIRT.  You can send me a log if you like.

But I think it makes more sense to first establish whether or not your UUIRT is working.  Since it was fine last week with VC it probably means that VC is not to blame, but you never know.

You should try using something like the attached program to see if the device is OK.  If it is not working with the program provided by the folks who made the device, then maybe they can help you, or would be willing to send you a new one if it was defective.  If you only tell them it is not working with VoxCommando then they will just assume it is the fault of VC which they have probably never heard of.

If it works fine with other programs, then we can investigate further to see if there is something I can change in VC, but it is unlikely since many users including myself have tested the plugin for a while now with no major problems that I know of.

chstuart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
Just an update. I broke down and bought a new USB-UIRT and everything works fine now. The one I had before was about 10 years old so I guess it just died of old age. Thank you for the help!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting us know. :D