Author Topic: Very nice Mini PC with Windows 8.1 for 200 usd  (Read 4440 times)

Etrust

• View Profile
Very nice Mini PC with Windows 8.1 for 200 usd
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

I was searching for a solution to run VoxCommando in my living room. It should be small and cheap.

In 2 weeks I will be able (hopefully  :biglaugh) to install Voxcommando on it and try my mxl ac404 usb mic. Here it is: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/reviews/zotac-zbox-pico-pi320-review-this-could-be-the-future-of-budget-pcs-621848

Specs
windows 8.1
2gb ram
ssd 32gb
intel atom 1.33 GHz

I do not know how much performance VoxCommando needs but I hope it will be enough to send some commands to vera, firefox, itunes and global chache  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Very nice Mini PC with Windows 8.1 for 200 usd
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »
It should be fine.  I don't know about windows 8 on a 32 gig hard drive though.  That will be a tight fit.  I am pretty sure that would be impossible with Windows 7.

If you want to also handle a large multimedia library, then you might find it is a bit low on speed and especially RAM for running VoxCommando with the large payloadXML files required.

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
It should be fine.  I don't know about windows 8 on a 32 gig hard drive though.  That will be a tight fit.  I am pretty sure that would be impossible with Windows 7.

If you want to also handle a large multimedia library, then you might find it is a bit low on speed and especially RAM for running VoxCommando with the large payloadXML files required.

Hi James, win 8 is allready installed. I also have the possibility to insert a second sd card. But the ram problem will I have to test it  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
It may be installed, but Windows tends to grow over time.  And of course it will depend on what you intend to install.  Luckily VoxCommando won't take up much space on your drive at all.

I don't have much first hand experience with Windows 8 so I won't comment any further on this subject!

For Windows 7, I would never use a boot partition that was less than 80 gigs, and even then I would be a bit uncomfortable, but of course it depends on what kind of software you normally install on your system.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:36:57 AM »
wow very interested in this find etrust thanks.
Curious are you planning on using as media center as well? I more curious if it can handle running xbmc and vox than simply just vox.
I run VC on a VM with far less. 25GB HDD, 1GB RAM on a mac that doesnt do anything but run VC on win7. This reminds me of the old Acer Revos and many people put linux on them due to the smaller CPU/RAM constraints.
But would love to run VC and XBMC on the same box for audio feedback.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:52:26 AM by vulcanjedi »

2exclusive

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »
Spend a little more and this is a good box for multi purpose. Xbmc, vox, gaming etc.

Intel NUC D54250WYK1 Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U Processor with Power Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H3YT8CC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-YvBub0HY0HPP

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:23 AM »
if you want to stay in the $200 range then i would say check out the Lenovo Q190's they start at about $200 and work well. i use one in my master bedroom and watch 8gb 1080p over the network with no problems. i know the processor isn't the best, but hey it gets the job done. the fan runs a little loud but if you look for it in the xbmc forum you will find a way to lower the fan speed so its not as loud, i don't really notice it the pc is on the opposite side of the room from my head board so i don't here it at all 

I no longer recommend this PC
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:18:19 PM by PegLegTV »

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »
Hi Guys, very interesting systems here too thank you. My goal wsa to not spend more than usd 200 and it should be very very small.

Well, my baby ztac zbox just arrived yersterday and what I can say so far:

- Voxcommando is running with ivona tts without any problem at the moment. The ztac zbox is running windows 8.1. I have made very small tests like weather forecast and play youtube playist videos.
- Boot time: 15 seconds and 15 seconds more to start voxcommando.

I have setup windows to login automatically and start voxcommando also automatically because my idea is to not use a monitor, mouse or keyboard anymore and use only my voice commands  ;D

The device itself:
- Very Small
- Cheap
- 100% quiet
- easy initial setup
- My free space at the moment on the zbox: 25GB
- no mic input but I think its not a problem because I will use usb mic
- there is a blutooth 4.0 integrated and could be interesting for bluetooth mics in the future but I am not sure if I wil use it because i have buy a mxl ac404. mxl is developing a mxl ac404 version with wireless with the name mxl ac410w that could be interesting. but of xourse problem there: battery  :bonk

My next steps:
- test the mlx ac404 mic
- test vera commands
- wolfrahmalpha
- itunes
- xbmc

I keep you with news. Please if you have questions feel free to ask me.

I am still in love with voxcommando. And I feel the love james is spending on this beautifull baby  :D

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
thanks etrust very interested. like this form factor, apprecriate the follow up.
I agree this price point for a MC is fair and what I stuck to when the forums were ablaze about the Acer Revos (mines still going fairly strong).
If got xmbc/vox working I'd have to see what mic solution I'd like, I pro open air myself.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:33:50 PM by jitterjames »

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 03:16:12 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am very happy with this small peace of hardware. Voxcommando is working very well under windows 8.1

My idea for the moment is to have the mini pc and the mxl mic on my living room near my sofa, an ipad on the kitchen running Headset app and an android tablet on my bedroom running Voxwav Pro. Maybe my wife will buy an android tablet for xmas for me. Cant wait to install Voxwav on it  ;D ;D

Maybe I will connect an second MXL USB Mic for the kiitchen and run virtual audio cable software. I dont know yet..

my mlx ac404 mic arrived yesterday. This mic is amazing! If your environment is quiet you can send request from very far away (3 meters tested for now). I will test with sound on the background like tv, music and my wife  ;D but I will post in a new topic because this topic is about the mini pc and not the mic.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 03:54:03 AM »
Good to know everything works fine, thanks for the report.
You can post a report for the MLX-AC400 here:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=379.msg2108#msg2108
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:10:00 AM by nime5ter »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:02:57 AM »
Good to know everything works fine, thanks for the report.
You can post a report for the MLX-AC400 here:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=379.msg2108#msg2108

done  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:09:28 AM by nime5ter »