Author Topic: Google Calendar???  (Read 3967 times)

CarsonY101

• View Profile
Google Calendar???
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
I've had this plugin working for months now (VoxCommando 2 1.9.5.5) and all of the sudden today I'm getting a connection error. I even upgraded to the 2.1.2.1 version thinking that was it and still a connection error. Anyone else having this problem?  ???

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Google Calendar???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:55:00 AM »
I confirm the "connection error", but it has nothing to do with the new VC version. It is possible google has change something.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »
Yes, unfortunately it looks like Google has just killed the API that was used to develop the GgCal plugin.

https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/v2/developers_guide_protocol

Version 3 of their API may require a significant re-write, so it may take a while before there is a fix. James still needs to investigate the situation.

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
And Google hammers another nail into my coffin.

I realize this would probably have been more appropriate to use when Google pulled the plug on the translation API that we were using, but I'll use it now anyway.

Imagine Google is in the shirt that says "Boogle til you puke" (cause they can't even spell their own name), and that I'm the redhead. 

It will take a long time before this plugin can be completely rewritten especially since the v3 api is undocumented.  Let's just hope that I can figure it out before they release the next non-backwards compatible api and force us to learn how to use that. 

You can expect it to take months, not days for a new Google Calendar plugin for VC.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
Hey James, is the issue with the ability to just connect or is it because everything you were doing to pull stuff from the calendar was changed with the API? I know over on the vera forums they adjusted some steps to get the connection back and I wasn't sure if you had seen that. They basically have you set up a service account and then share your calendar with the service account. Once that's done, the plugin is able to pull calendar events again.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26692.0.html

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
The API required a significant re-write of the plugin, not some minor connection changes.

Some new year good news, though: James will be releasing a VC update with a re-created Google Calendar plugin in the next day or two.

It will function the same as before, with some very minor changes (for now). Details to follow.

... And yes, users will now be prompted to give VC permission to access their calendar.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
That's what I figured. Awesome news though! James is a tireless slave to our petty wishes  ;D

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »
It's official. Version 2.1.3.3 includes the new GgCal plugin.

Some deets: http://voxcommando.com/home/2015/01/02/new-release-2-1-3-3/

blutak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »
Hi, im new here. Just started using Voxcommando last week and so far very impressed.
I just have one problem with the google calendar. How do you reset the account that voxcommando calendar plugin is linked to? I installed the plug in under my personal account and not the "house" calendar I want to use. I've tried re-installing both plug in and the program but I cant seem to get it to prompt me again.
Thanks

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »
Welcome blutak.

Disable the GgCal plugin in VC.

Then go to https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions while logged into your personal account, and revoke Google Calendar access to "Project Default Service Account" (This is VoxCommando, it seems. ... Maybe that's something we can fix in the future, @jitterjames? ).

Then when you re-enable the GgCal plugin, you'll receive the request for permission prompt again.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »
I'm glad Nime5ter was able to answer that one because I honestly had no idea!  I was going to have to do some research...  :biglaugh

blutak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
Worked perfectly thank you very much. Absolutely love the software! Will be buying a licence at the end of the month  ;D
(Youll all get sick of me after that)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
It should now show up as VoxCommando with a pretty icon on that link: https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions

blutak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
Very pretty thanks!