Author Topic: mic always listening  (Read 3002 times)

chuque

• View Profile
mic always listening
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
I read that one of the pro features was to have the mic always on. I understood this would mean I wouldn't need to use the push to talk button.

I see the ON button on the lower left., but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Ideally I would like this to run on a tablet in the room, and always on and listening.
Please advise.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: mic always listening
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
Welcome chuque.

Take a look at the video demo here to learn how to use the VoxWav Pro always on feature: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=VoxWav

It's discussed later in the video, but I recommend watching the entire demo to familiarize yourself with other features that may need to be set as well. For example, you may want to make sure the tilt function is off, and that the "keep alive when screen is off" setting is checked (though only some devices support this).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:04:29 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

chuque

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »
hmm thanks for the info. I'll assume it is my tablet (Asus T700tf) that is the issues here but this is what happens currently.

I press the On button say a phrase and nothing happens. 
I tap the talk button and it acts like it sends the last phrase and works
I can tap the On again and it repeats the behavior.

The talk button works as expected.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:11 AM »
From your description it sounds like when you press the "On" button in VoxWav absolutely nothing happens.  That would be surprising though.

Please take a look at this video for a better explanation of the always on feature and how to use it:

It is true that the always on feature is not for everyone.  It was only added due to popular demand.  My concept of VoxWav was not one that included this feature.  The biggest challenge is setting the volume threshold correctly but I don't really know if this mode is reliable over long periods of time.

Still I find it unlikely that the on button is simply not detecting that you are clicking it.

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:47:11 PM »
Try playing with the Mic source in settings.

chuque

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
From your description it sounds like when you press the "On" button in VoxWav absolutely nothing happens.  That would be surprising though.

Please take a look at this video for a better explanation of the always on feature and how to use it:

It is true that the always on feature is not for everyone.  It was only added due to popular demand.  My concept of VoxWav was not one that included this feature.  The biggest challenge is setting the volume threshold correctly but I don't really know if this mode is reliable over long periods of time.

Still I find it unlikely that the on button is simply not detecting that you are clicking it.

let me explain the series of events a bit better.

Press on, and it starts listening I see an indicator the bottom right that it is sending the command once I stop talking, but nothing happens.

I tap the talk button (just a tap, don't say anything) and then the previously spoken command is executed.

I can repeat this:  press on say a command wait 5-120 seconds and nothing press and release talk and command is executed

if the mic is in an off state, I can press and hold,and speak a command release as normal.

so the command is being recorded, and according to the indicator it is being sent, but it isn't.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
As James mentioned, it sounds as though you need to adjust the silence threshold (though it looks like he referred to it as the "volume threshold").

He links to a different video than I did -- I had forgotten about that video. What it explains is quite important if you want to use the always on feature, particularly if you're in a noisy-ish environment. Here is the exact point where the explanation of the always on feature begins:
&feature=youtu.be&t=2m35s

If you are in an environment that has more constant background noise in it, you'll need to experiment with raising the silence threshold.

In terms of the messages you're seeing on the screen, as the video explains, when the mic is on it's always recording/sending the data until it detects silence. Only once it *detects silence* can VC do something with that data. So, if your silence threshold is too low, it will basically assume the background noise is data, keep recording, and never detect silence.

The important message on-screen is not the "sending audio" message, but the subsequent "silence detected" message--and following that, the data about min/avg/max volume thresholds (as explained in the video).

Maybe the reason it seems to be processing the command when you touch the other button is that that is the point at which it recognizes a significant enough change in the audio it's receiving? I don't know about that--seems weird. But the main point is: watch the video and experiment with the silence threshold setting accordingly and let us know if that helps.

Also, maybe you know this, but if you tap on the previously recognized command displayed onscreen (whether or not the confidence was high enough), that also sends the message. Any chance that is what is happening, at least some of the time?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:48:18 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)