Author Topic: Vox Crashes When opening Command Edit Tree  (Read 1500 times)

trasul

• View Profile
Vox Crashes When opening Command Edit Tree
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
I am having a issue when opening the command tree window, it flashes the window frame only and drops down into the windows start bar as a Vox icon.  This started after incorporating the preset Hue commands that are built in to Vox ver 2.1.0.5b.  My original command tree works great and the Hue commands work great on a separate installation.  The problem only exists when they are combined.
I have determined that the problem can be resolved by reducing the number of commands in my tree. Am I correct? Is this problem the reaction Vox will give if the commands tree is too large (but it is not that large). I am running Vox 2.1.0.5b on windows 7 with an i3 processor and 4 GB ram.
Any advice will be appreciated.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Vox Crashes When opening Command Edit Tree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
Hello trasul, welcome to the forum.

We think we have seen this once before when there are too many command *groups* (as opposed to commands). Though I don't know off-hand how many that was.

How many groups do you have in the combined configuration?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

trasul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:01:52 PM »
Hi nime5ter, thanks so much for responding.  The best working configuration I have that works has 75 groups. I removed 8 groups that I rarely used from my original configuration and added the 7 groups from the Hue setup and that works.
However if the number of groups is in fact a limitation in Vox then I am stuck here and the only way I can add anything more to the command tree is to start combining groups which can become very difficult and confusing when I need to trouble a problem.  Any suggestions?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
I don't yet know what is causing this and need to investigate further.

For now you will need to combine groups or remove unused groups.  
Combining groups should not really be that difficult though?

It is not really that VoxCommando can't handle that many groups, but there seems to be a bug when loading them into the editor.  As far as I know all those groups of commands still work.

What is strange is that there is no problem when you first add the extra groups into the tree. It is only when you save and then try to reopen the editor.  And no error is thrown which makes it difficult to debug. Some kind of .Net anomaly I guess. Very mysterious!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:31:21 AM by nime5ter »

trasul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:13:20 AM »
Thanks very much James for least letting me know that you understand and acknowledge the problem, you are correct with all that you said.  It drove me nuts for a couple of days until I realized what was causing the program to crash.  It’s also good to see that there is hope for a fix.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
To be fair, I must say that 75 groups is a quite a large number of groups.  Are you sure you need so many?

I am trying to improve the number of groups that can be loaded into the editor but there will still be a finite limit before things start to act strangely.  I do not know whether that limit will vary from one system to the next or not.

In order to test this I had to combine the groups from almost all of the English preset configurations.

I wonder what you are doing that you have so many groups...  Of course you may have a good reason for it, but I wonder if you are breaking things up in to small pieces when you don't need to.  I would think that having so many groups would make it harder to keep track of my command structure.  If it is because you have a lot of experimental commands and groups then I suggest you create a separate installation where you test out new ideas.  This will make it easier to test new stuff anyway.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
Please try out 2.1.0.7

http://voxcommando.com/downloads.asp

I don't think it is bullet proof for massive trees but I hope it will be better.

trasul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:55 AM »
My objective was to build voxcommando’s command tree to the fullest ongoing potential within my reach, especially to voice operate everything I already had in place and also what I can add to my home at a reasonable cost since I am so amazed with the programs potential.
Almost all of the commands I build on my own I have in just about 8 groups, together with 17 more from XBMC, 17 from JRiver (which I need for the photo feature mainly), 9 Vera, 7 Hue, 10, Vox standard basic groups and about 7 from the Vox forum link exchange etc. that’s my 75.  I think it’s pretty easy to build up the numbers.  There are about 8 other rarely used groups I eliminated so that the tree edit window would not crash.  I intend to consolidate these groups in to much smaller numbers next so that I can continue adding as I discover new capabilities for the program.
I did install version 2.1.0.7 based on you last post and added back 5 of the groups I removed from the tree but no luck the program crashed as before.
I don’t think it’s really an issue though since for example XBMC, JRiver, and Hue can be consolidated into just 3 groups if I need to.
Just that you know, I have an enormous love for Voxcommando and I thank you and the team on the forum for the continued ongoing improvements and enhancements.
Thanks again.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:05:51 AM »
Strange. I tested with 100 groups and it did not minimise the editor on opening in 2.107

Would you mind privately sending me a backup of your problematic config for testing?

Don't combine all your XBMC groups into one!  This will most likely lead to problems of another sort.

Better would be to start by eliminating any groups you are not using, or combining "small" groups of simple commands. Leave groups with large payloadXML files (like play song x) alone.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the program!  ;D