Author Topic: Polycom ef2280 detailed setup  (Read 17782 times)

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Polycom ef2280 detailed setup
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
I am going to document setting up my whole house mic setup.  I have found the most daunting part so far with this setup is the lack of supporting explicit documents.  Of course when the manual for the ef2280 references PalmPilot Hotsync, you know something is old.  ;D
This is a work in progress.

****HUGE THANKS TO AUSSIE MATE.  Without his help, I would have chucked the vortex into the street. He answered all my email questions without making me feel like the noob to this that I am.****

I will do my best to list parts in this section.

Manuals and software:
Polycom support
http://support.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/us/support/voice/vortex/ef2280.html

ef2280 power supply
wp power model aeh45um32  /#30031-01
Input : 100-240v  47-63hz   1.35 A
output: 42w max.

disclaimer:  Unless noted, the pictures that are shown are pictures I took with my own camera, equipment.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:19:42 PM by keithj69 »

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Polycom ef2280 detailed setup
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
Wiring
For testing purposes, my wiring is bare.  I bought xlr m/f mic cable to test with for now.  You will need at minimum 2 conductor shielded wire for this.  I will document in parts list.

*currently the wire I am using is setup as such;  red is positive, blue is negative.  Subject to change as I change wire.

Making an unbalanced rca cable to balanced phoenix connector.  This is what connects the ef2280 to the pc/sound card. (picture is from the manual, I just cropped it)

And visuals for people like me.  Make sure on the rca side of the cable to trim back the shielding and wrap in electrical tape or shrink wrap so it does short out if contact with metal.  On the rca side shielding is NOT used.

Wiring a Crown PZM-11;
The mic side

So far this is the only way I see to wire the phoenix connectors

Wiring the Beyerdynamics MPC 22
Good news everyone, you only need to cut on side of the wire if you use a pre-purchased cable!  

Before cutting one end, go ahead and connect the mic to the cable.  The side that isn't connected to the microphone is cut.

and the phoenix again

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:20:48 PM by keithj69 »

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
vortex to pc

vortex

I made the mistake and moved my output from a to 1.  When I hooked up the second mic, I could see that the mic was getting sound but it was not passing through to vox.  From what I gather the outputs 1-8 are directly linked to input 1-8.  A-D are a catch all.  So if you are using more than 1 mic, use one of the outputs a-d.

usb sound card (potato quality)

If your pc does not have a serial port on the back you will need a USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Converter and a serial cable m/f.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:22:14 PM by keithj69 »

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
Polycom Conference Composer

I am trying to get the hang of this software.  As of now i have my mics setup like Aussie_Mate says below.  

As of now, I cannot really give any advice on this software.  I am stumbling around with it still.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:08:26 PM by keithj69 »

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
last reserved.  maybe documentation where i poke holes in my ceiling and doing the actual wiring.  That will happen when getting in the attic is not unbearable.  Florida winter should be here in December for a week or 2.  :biglaugh

*Test 1;
 pzm-11 mic in master
  Lucky for me the coaxial cable going into my room is actually coming through the wall in the closet in my media room.  I have  run a cable into my room and I have the pzm11 placed on my nightstand.  
   My testing is very limited.  The room is 11x13.
     Test with no media devices playing has been very responsive.  Almost perfect.  
     Testing with the tv on was touchier but nothing lowering or muting doesn't solve.
     **extended testing  
  I have played around with placement.  Not sure where I am going to locate this one.  I have done some tuning and it is getting better.

*Test 2
  I placed the MPC22 in my main living area roughly in the place I want the mic to be, albiet hanging from a picture hook, but it was a fun test.  I do like this mic.  Even with it resting against the wall that sticks out, I was able to give commands from "behind" the mic at about 5-8 feet away.  Accuracy was touchy, but I blame that on the location of the mic.
I am going to have to place the mic in the exact location i think is best.  Need to get a longer cable first.  

Mistakes, gotchas, tips
PC/vox does not hear:
1) I made the mistake and moved my output from a to 1.  When I hooked up the second mic, I could see that the mic was getting sound but it was not passing through to vox.  From what I gather the outputs 1-8 are directly linked to input 1-8.  A-D are a catch all.  So if you are using more than 1 mic, use one of the outputs a-d.
2) In your output settings, you may need to bump up the gain.  One way to watch the levels.  open windows mixer and with composer on the outputs tab, turn on levels.  Now when you speak, you should see the meters bounce with cool colors.  play around with the gain.  Do this before adjusting the input levels.
3)  Check your phoenix connectors once again.  It is easy to flip the connector over and wire it the wrong way.  I always try to keep  the screws facing up.  But I won't lie.  I flipped it and had no sound.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:30:37 PM by keithj69 »

aussie mate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:20:39 AM »
If using the Polycom EF2280 in your whole house setup - I would recommend using Polycom Conference Composer with your setup. This software is free to download but makes the setup of multiple microphone, noise cancelling, gain control & filters very easy. 
You will need to use a serial to USB convertor but these are not very expensive.

Once you have installed the software and connected it to your PC, when you run it - it allows you to dynamically monitor and change the configuration. You can also save different configurations backups.
It is really powerful and helpful when "tuning " each of your microphone setting for the room it is in.

Remember that its better to start off with low levels and slow increase.
I have found 15dB gain is a good starting point for ceiling mics with the AGC set to 3dB steps and NC set to 10dB.
On the output I set the gain to 0dB.

Go Manly, NSW & the All Blacks

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
I am using the conferencing software.  Still trying to get the hang of it.  It really is forcing me to rtfm. :bonk

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
This project is still on going.  Right now I am tweaking settings.  I am considering not going forward with this idea.  I live in a small house and it seems that just about any noise can trigger.  I do have prefix mode on, and it still gets triggered.  It is not VC's fault.  Before I scrap everything, I might get some other mic's to play test. 

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
What is your prefix? I don't know if it will help, but maybe your prefix sounds too much like random-house-sounds (e.g. if it's a monosyllabic word).

"Jarvis" is boring and overused, but does make for a good unique, multisyllabic "prefix" sound so maybe it's worth trying something like that if you're not already.

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
It depends if you are getting commands executing while you are still in standby mode (in which case modify your prefix) or if VC is switching to "on" mode without you asking it to, in which case take a look at the history and or log to see if it is a voice command that is turning it on, and if so, look at your "pay attention" command phrases, and either modify them or switch that command to not be "always on" so that it requires a prefix too.

It is also conceivable that some other event is switching VC on so check the history to eliminate that as a possibility.

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
I have watched vc as it happened.  Tv/music is on in the background when it happens.  What I have found,  my prefix is Lemon, and there are a lot more words that are similar than I thought out.  For example, I can trigger commands with hymen (something on tv actually triggered it with that word).  

I know that it is more a configuration issue of the equipment I have and not vox.   Now that I am down with my as400 upgrades and other project stuff, i plan on swapping the mics around.  I think the crown mic will be better suited for the room.  Plus tweaking sensitivity should help.  

And to be honest, it is actually fun to see what words trigger it.

I will look at the "pay attention" phrases, that makes sense. Thanks

edit;  I checked the pay attention phrases.  I did leave the defaults in there, plus my addition.  Only have lemon there now.  Thanks for the pointer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:40:22 PM by keithj69 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »

edit;  I checked the pay attention phrases.  I did leave the defaults in there, plus my addition.  Only have lemon there now.  Thanks for the pointer.

It may be problematic to use the same word for both your prefix and your pay attention command phrase. In addition, I don't think a single two syllable word is sufficient for your pay attention phrase.

Keep in mind that if you always use prefix mode then you don't need the pay attention command at all.

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
Any vortex work is on hold. I am going to try a xap800.  My main frustration is the fact that the vortex does not have a big user base or much in the way of user documentation. 

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
I got my XAP 800 on eBay with intention to implement a whole house system microphones. I do not have high end boundary mics yet ... so I will starting testing with cheap mics.

did you find any tutorials that worth looking at ... the G-ware seems a bit complicated and not very user friendly ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »
i found this
http://www.zoelen.net/ZMC.htm
Most of the info i found has been on the homeseer forum.  Alternate your search with ap800 and xap800. 
I will have to look at my laptop at home to see if i have more. 

here is a direct link to g-ware software    http://www.clearone.com/uploads/resource/G_Ware5_0_67.zip

Found on this page under Legacy Products http://www.clearone.com/resources#professional_audio