Author Topic: Homie's adventures in command editing  (Read 4878 times)

HomieTheClown

• View Profile
Homie's adventures in command editing
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Ty guys for your continued help. I hope I am no ruining anyone's Sunday.  The wife is this weekend is why I am spending lots of time on this program.  I am trying to work on the speech recognition part of the program.  I just spent $30 bucks on a desktop mic. I'll probably get something better soon but needed something to test out.  I've already ran the Windows 7 speech recognition software and did a little training.  

In my picture in the pink box I am trying to get my phrase 'hello there' which should open up Pandora.  Unfortunately VC doesn't recognize those words at all. I think it has something to do with the Frodo XBMC configuration that I am in. I'm guessing that the Frodo config only has so many words in it, but I'm also guessing you can add more words like 'hello' and 'there' so VC will recognize the phrase hello there.

I'm not trying to be ignorant and not look around first. Just posting my progress (or lack there of).  So basically I'm trying to say the phrase 'hello there' so it will open up Pandora.

Oh does anyone here who's responding use XBMC. I think I saw Kalle say he did.  IF so, which mic set up do you have?  Thanks in advance!

P.S. I should add.  in the command build area, I right clicked on the command for the pandora command and selected 'train speech profile'.  Then I set the rejection threshold down to 80 and made a succesful test in the 'label1' box.  Click ok, save the xml file and restarted the program. Still nothing...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:16:52 PM by HomieTheClown »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
There is no conflict with the XBMC Frodo configuration, you can use any phrases you want to trigger a command.  There would only be a conflict if you used a phrase that was already being used by another command, in which case you would not be sure which command would execute when the phrase was spoken.

You need to save and close the editor for your changes to take effect, or you need to click save in the editor and then click "quick restart" on the main VC window.

I get that you are in a hurry to get as much done as you can in one day, but maybe you need to take some time to look around a bit, watch some tutorials etc.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:23:41 PM by jitterjames »

HomieTheClown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »
Hey James,

Oh I'm watching tutorials believe me.  I'm working on Kalle's videos right now.  Your right I am in a little hurry, but it will take a lot of time to learn how to use this program.

About what you said. I can't even get the program to recognize the word hello. It will recognize the xbmc commands (move up one, go home, go to favorites, etc) with no problem, but it doesn't hear me say hello.  I'm trying to figure it out.  Oh, on another note, I don't know if it's related but under the xbmc addons there's a 'search youtube' command... Well at the bottom of that command list it says 'payloadDication: Regular' in inverse red.  when I highlighted it, there's a message that says 'dictation not supported on SP'. 

I'm using Microsoft Speech Recognition 11 that I downloaded from following the instructions.  I didn't know if the problem was related or not. I'll continue to dig!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Why are you using the SP version?  If you are using English and are not using a Bluetooth headset, then you should use the regular VoxCommando.exe

Dictation is not supported by the SP version as the message says, but I don't think that should affect your other command.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
I have just now tested editing a variety of command phrases in the SP version and as long as I save the tree and exit so that VC can rebuild my phrase grammar it is working consistently. That's with Windows 7.

I, too, was wondering why you're using SP instead of VC standard. My impression is that you're using an English OS, from the screenshots you're showing us.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Installation#Version_Specific_Information

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

HomieTheClown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:10:30 PM »
I see. I guess I was under the impression that using the VoxCommandoSP versionw as superior to using the other one.  I'll starting using it immediately.

I've watched a few more videos and have made some progress about trying it to recognize the phrase 'hello there'.  I added that phrase in the voicecommands.xml file. I thought people said you should avoid editing that file, but that was the only way to get VC to recognize the phrase.  Am I doing something wrong?

So I got it to open up pandora like I wanted using the phrase 'hello there'.  Ty Ty.  So if I want to make VC recognize a word, do I have to input that word in the voicecommands.xml file?

In another words. If I want to xbmc to go into screensaver mode with the phrase 'screensaver time', so I need to add that new command and phrase to the voicecommand.xml or can i add it to another xml file like xbmc.xml.  This stuff is confusing to talk about over typing :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:14:47 PM by HomieTheClown »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
I've watched a few more videos and have made some progress about trying it to recognize the phrase 'hello there'.  I added that phrase in the voicecommands.xml file. I thought people said you should avoid editing that file, but that was the only way to get VC to recognize the phrase.  Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, but I don't know what.  It is OK to edit that file, but you should avoid editing the xml directly in something like a text editor or xml editor.  You should only edit it in the VoxCommando tree editor.

So if I want to make VC recognize a word, do I have to input that word in the voicecommands.xml file?

You should not ever edit the xml file directly.  But you should edit voicecommands.xml using the tree editor.  Voicecommands.xml is the only file that VoxCommando will read when loading commands.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:54:05 AM by jitterjames »

HomieTheClown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »
Sigh...

Ok I won't anymore. In my earlier post I was using a test.xml which was just a copy of the voicecommands.xml file.  So I need to figure out how to make VC see the test.xml file too. It's acting like it's not seeing it and only seeing the voicecommands.xml file.. I'll tinker around with it..

I just wanted to say ty again. This is such a fun program. I don't know it's limitations, but it seems to have many uses. The wife will think I am being a geek, but I can't help it. It's a fun program!

Edit**. Haven't been able to figure out how to make VC work with my test.xml file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  The test.xml file will run the specified macros that I have if I click on the green play arrow, but their trigger words wont register in VC.   Also nimester, which version of Pandora are you using. I'm using 1.2.1.2 and it doesn't have a play last station in the settings.xml or addon.xml and I didn't see anything in the addon's options either.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:45:33 PM by HomieTheClown »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
It seems like you are going out of your way to make this difficult for yourself!  :biglaugh

Here is what you need to do.  Very simple.
- You run VC
- You click EDIT
- You EDIT your commands in the tree.
- You click save and then close the window.

done.

You can't just edit some other xml file, the changes need to be made to the voicecommands.xml file, which they will be by default.  But you should not try to edit the xml directly.  Edit the commands in the tree.  Sorry if I misunderstood you when you said "do I have to input that word in the voicecommands.xml file?".  I thought you were talking about editing the xml by hand.

Watch these first:

It is a bit out of date but the basic concepts should apply.  Ignore the bits about the "bin". ;)

HomieTheClown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »
Ah-ha! good to know about the voicecommands file. I was starting to pull my hair out.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:43:57 PM by HomieTheClown »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Homie's adventures in command editing
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »
Also nimester, which version of Pandora are you using. I'm using 1.2.1.2 and it doesn't have a play last station in the settings.xml or addon.xml and I didn't see anything in the addon's options either.

We are both using the XBMC Pandora Addon version 2.3.2 which is the one installed by default using the official  XBMC.org Repository in Gotham.  I don't know if Frodo uses a different version or if you are just out of date.

Any particular reason you are still using Frodo?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:13:24 AM by jitterjames »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Homie's adventures in command editing
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Pandora

Seems as though 2.3.2 was already standard in the Frodo repo.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)