Author Topic: a non standard beahviour from VC rather than a bug  (Read 2497 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
a non standard beahviour from VC rather than a bug
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »
this do not qualify as a bug ... but more a strange behaviour from VC compared to other windows programs.

if one minimize VC from the top right of the window, it will go to be an icon in the task bar (standard for all windows programs) ...
now if the "minimize to tray" is enabled and I click on the tray icon, instead of restoring VC window the icon in task bar goes inactive... another click on the try icon will make the taskbar icon active ... clicking that will restore the window ... it is a bit confusing.

in most programs I dealt with that has a try icon ... it will restore the window weather it was minimised by the minimise button or by the tray icon ...

not a big deal but would be nice if fixed

VC version 2.0.0 (but I noticed the same in previous 1.9.x versions)
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: a non standard beahviour from VC rather than a bug
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
Clicking the notification icon will toggle the visibility of VC.  This is how I want it. I'm happy with the way that it works.  I hope it doesn't bother you too much because i don't intend to change it.  :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
Looking at the way other programs work they all seem to do it differently so I don't think we can claim that there are standards here.  For example, most programs in my notification area do not show and hide or minimize the main window at all when left clicking this icon.  MediaMonkey uses left click for play/pause, many others do nothing.  Most programs offer a context menu with a right-click, which VC does as well.

David Mark

• Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »
this do not qualify as a bug ... but more a strange behaviour from VC compared to other windows programs.

if one minimize VC from the top right of the window, it will go to be an icon in the task bar (standard for all windows programs) ...
now if the "minimize to tray" is enabled and I click on the tray icon, instead of restoring VC window the icon in task bar goes inactive... another click on the try icon will make the taskbar icon active ... clicking that will restore the window ... it is a bit confusing.

in most programs I dealt with that has a try icon ... it will restore the window weather it was minimised by the minimise button or by the tray icon ...

not a big deal but would be nice if fixed

VC version 2.0.0 (but I noticed the same in previous 1.9.x versions)

It is not standard to "minimize to tray", Windows developers have been screwing that up since '95 and it has become some sort of de facto standard. The tray icon indicates that the application is running in the background (even when its primary window is closed). Has nothing to do with minimizing the window (or shouldn't anyway). Always irritating to minimize a window and watch it suddenly vanish from the taskbar. :(

If the window was previously minimized, then it should be restored on re-showing via the tray icon. That's all. The rest of it is simply a failure to adhere to standards (though not the ones described).

David Mark

• Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
Clicking the notification icon will toggle the visibility of VC.  This is how I want it. I'm happy with the way that it works.  I hope it doesn't bother you too much because i don't intend to change it.  :)

That's definitely wrong and you should change things based on user demand, not your own personal view of how things should work. Looking at other programs won't help; have to read the MS interface standards (from '95). Might be able to get by observing MS applications as they seem to follow the standards in most cases.

When in doubt, make it configurable; but doubt anybody will want the tray icon to toggle the visibility of the window. ;)

David Mark

• Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
Looking at the way other programs work they all seem to do it differently so I don't think we can claim that there are standards here.  For example, most programs in my notification area do not show and hide or minimize the main window at all when left clicking this icon.  MediaMonkey uses left click for play/pause, many others do nothing.  Most programs offer a context menu with a right-click, which VC does as well.

The standard is (and always has been):

1. Double click the tray icon to re-show/restore the app (default context menu command, should be in bold).
2. Or use the context menu, clicking the default command (e.g. "Show VoxCommando").

That's it. :)

As mentioned, lots of apps screw this up, so mimicking them won't help.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
How about the option of having vox auto start in the tray? I have it on all the time anyway so when I start my PC, I always have to close it to the tray.

David Mark

• Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »
Yes, that's a fairly standard option in Windows apps. Usually termed "Start in Background" or similar.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
How about the option of having vox auto start in the tray? I have it on all the time anyway so when I start my PC, I always have to close it to the tray.

Hi squattingyeti, see this thread for info on having VC automatically close to tray when loaded. http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1505.msg13063#msg13063
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
lol duh me...just use the load event to close it. Thanks!

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
It is not standard to "minimize to tray", Windows developers have been screwing that up since '95 and it has become some sort of de facto standard. The tray icon indicates that the application is running in the background (even when its primary window is closed). Has nothing to do with minimizing the window (or shouldn't anyway). Always irritating to minimize a window and watch it suddenly vanish from the taskbar. :(

If the window was previously minimized, then it should be restored on re-showing via the tray icon. That's all. The rest of it is simply a failure to adhere to standards (though not the ones described).

I am a user so I only know the de facto standards  ::dis ... And if most developers screwing up MS standards, maybe it means simply the standards are screwed up originally ?

Maybe even James is right, and this how the standards should be !! Anyway all I wanted to say I don't think there is right and wrong here ... I was just communicating my preferences as user.

Hi squattingyeti, see this thread for info on having VC automatically close to tray when loaded. http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1505.msg13063#msg13063

Lovely solution! Will steal it for sure :)
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures