Author Topic: focused.idle when using VC on a headless PC  (Read 3285 times)

chillbone

• View Profile
focused.idle when using VC on a headless PC
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:38 AM »
i have VC installed on a rackmounted headless server in an AV closet. i log in with remote desktop on my desktop PC. everything works okay, until i close remote desktop. VC gives unfocused.voxcommando and then focused.idle, and then stops listening for any further commands

once i log back in with remote desktop, it returns unfocused.idle and then focused.voxcommando, and works again

obviously i dont want to have to be logged in remotely all the time, how do i get VC to maintain focus after i close remote desktop?

thanks
cb

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: focused.idle when using VC on a headless PC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your upcoming video -- but keep that bath footage PG! ;)

Whether VC has focus or not shouldn't affect whether it is listening or not, as long as VC is still running and set to listen (green VC.On, or to VC.Standby mode using prefixes).

Is it possible that a focus event or some other kind of event is turning VC to off mode? Maybe posting a log would help us diagnose the issue.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
VoxCommando definitely does not need to be focused, or it would be pretty useless in general.

I think your problem is related to the fact that you are using remote desktop.  When you disconnect you are essentially logging out of your windows session and your running programs including VC are being suspended.

Try connecting with another program like VNC so that when you disconnect you are not logging out of your windows session.

chillbone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
thanks for the replies

i logged in with chrome remote desktop, which solved the logging out problem, but changed the audio outputs so that audio playback was on the local client, not the server

so just ended up connecting a monitor in the end ... will  need to setup VNC i think

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
It has been a while I wanted to report the same issue...
I am not very sure about the logged out thing as when I disconnect while copying large folder ... The copying continue ... As well VC do trigger time event after disconnecting from RDP .... It seems some how the mic affected ... Most probably it is a windows issue rather than a VC issue.

If anyone has experience in RDP might help
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
I believe it is a windows "thing". I'm not sure I would call it an issue.  Windows does not support UI without an active user session.  The solution is simple, easy, and free. Use one of any number of remote control programs such as vnc, team viewer etc., which don't kill your session when you disconnect.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/remote-access/tp/free-remote-access-software.htm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:09:55 AM by nime5ter »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
I did a test by leaving Audacity recording while I disconnected RDP session the recording did not interrupt.
I thing the 'windows thing' that it disconnect SR engine rather than disable the mic ...
Could it be something that can be controlled from within VC code ?
In a way RDP beats VNC in terms of speed even on a LAN

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
Could it be something that can be controlled from within VC code ?

No.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
As i said earlier, when you disconnect from an RDP session, the UI (or GUI) will stop working. Speech recognition is a form of user input.

If you like you can try something like this http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56552/

Or google for another solution using a search like:

keep ui after remote desktop disconnect

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
As i said earlier, when you disconnect from an RDP session, the UI (or GUI) will stop working. Speech recognition is a form of user input.

If you like you can try something like this http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56552/

that explain things better :) ... excellent article ... seems it works ... I tried to disconnect as the article and when I used VNC the session was unlocked ... will do further testing when I get back home

adamroff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »
I know this is a dead topic, just wanted to say thank you james!!!!!!! that article achieved what i had previously spent many many hours googling trying to fix! (i had all but given up on a fix for it)

so far works great, will leave my session running in this way for the next few days and see if it continues to work!

thanks again! your knowledge on the internet of things has helped me out yet again!