Author Topic: Integration With IFTTT  (Read 7572 times)

Dominique

• View Profile
Integration With IFTTT
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »
I use IFTTT for much of my home automation simply because it is easy to use.  Granted it may be a long while for an official VoxCommando IFTTT integration but that does not mean the service cannot be used.  For example, I have it where if I send an email with a specific tag in the subject line, it will turn on or off devices in my home.

Example:
If I send an email to trigger@ifttt.com with a tag in the subject #LampOn, it will turn on the lamp.  Same with the kitchen, hallway, and a few other devices in my home.  The variable is the subject tag.  (NOTE: IFTTT has it setup where only the email address associated with your IFTTT account can trigger the devices.  They make it that way so 3rd party users cannot manipulate your devices)

So if I setup my personal email and set it up to where V.C. will send the email with the specific trigger, it can toggle device such as the lamp or kitchen lights etc.

I have multiple uses for this.  Do any of you?

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Integration With IFTTT
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
I have been working sporadically on integrating iOS reminders with VC through IFTTT ... did some little progess but no time for the moment to take it all the way to be really functional ...
the lack of IFTTT app for PC is a major obstacle.

Finally home automation with IFTTT and VC is pretty slow since IFTTT recipes run every 15min I think ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Sending an email to IFTTT is probably the fastest way to interact with IFTTT anyway so no need for a plugin there.  That leaves trying to find a way to get info from IFTTT back to VoxCommando.

IFTTT doesn't seem to offer an API yet to the "small folk" like us.

But I have an idea.  I'm thinking that you can use recipes with IFTTT to save text files to your local PC via dropbox.

I can create a plugin that will monitor a folder for text files and when they appear, open them and execute the text inside as actions the same way we would evaluate any other string sent by UDP, HTTP etc. (see http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=API_Application_Programming_Interface)

Since IFTTT is already super slow to send updates, the additional time for DropBox to create the file and then have VC discover and read it becomes pretty insignificant.

Basically it's a work-around that will pretty much do anything a full-fledged plugin would do anyway and just as easily.  The only downside (if you see it that way) is that you need to use DropBox .  I already use DropBox so that's not an issue for me.

By the way, controlling your lights by sending emails to IFTTT is fine if that is your only option, but the chances are pretty good that there is a way for VoxCommando to interact directly with your home-automation kit with much less of a delay.  Asking VC to turn on the lights and then having to wait (how long...  5 to 30 seconds?) is far from ideal.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:17:18 PM by jitterjames »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:22:44 AM »
Saving text files to drop box is technique I use to sync iOS reminders to VC PC ...
The idea was to set a timer to clean completed tasks at 4.00 am
So in the morning when I ask VC what I have it woul read my tasks ...
However I didn't finish the project

I can create a plugin that will monitor a folder for text files and when they appear, open them and execute the text inside as actions the same way we would evaluate any other string sent by UDP, HTTP etc. (see http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=API_Application_Programming_Interface)

That will be awesome .... One can send an SMS to IFTTT that will save it as text and VC will execute it as macro

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »
For anyone using email to trigger IFTTT, I just received this notice:

Due to recent issues with trigger@ifttt.com, please use trigger@recipe.ifttt.com to trigger your Email Channel Recipes.

Emails to trigger@ifttt.com will no longer trigger your Recipes.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »
very old thread ... however I though just post in case someone stumble on this one...

IFTTT now offer Maker channel, which makes it very easy to integrate with VC through the webserver in TCP plug-in

Scat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:19:52 AM »
Hello

I am new to Voxcommando.
Is there a how to to complete this integration?
"IFTTT now offer Maker channel, which makes it very easy to integrate with VC through the webserver in TCP plug-in"

thanks
Scat

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
I don't think there is a "how to" for that yet.

If you already know how to use IFTTT then it's just a matter of setting up your VoxCommando TCP plugin web server to accept commands from the internet.

See: https://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=API_Application_Programming_Interface#HTTP

If you do this though you will be exposing your system to some risk because IFTTT Maker does not support any kind of security that I know of.

With the TCP plugin you can filter based on IP addresses (block requests from other IPs) but I believe that IFTTT uses many different IP addresses for their servers and each time IFTTT sends a command it may come from a different address.

If you are still interested I can make something to guide you through the process.

Another option is to use Dropbox and the VoxCommando Watcher plugin which would be more secure and probably just a little bit slower than using Maker with TCP.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:07:52 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »
Also, with the Maker / TCP solution you will need to have either a static IP address or you will need to use some kind of dynamic DNS service that points to your router from the internet.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
One more thing...

I think what are are talking about here is actually called "Webhooks", not "Maker".

So one would normally use some type of IF ingredient in IFTTT and then you would use "Webhooks" for the THEN part, directing that request to your VoxCommando TCP/Webserver via your public IP address.