Author Topic: Set AirPlay device in iTunes  (Read 4644 times)

naveen

• View Profile
Set AirPlay device in iTunes
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
I'm wondering if there's any possibility to choose AirPlay device via VoxCommando (or any other way, really...). My receiver can't output digital signals to zone 2 so if I can AirPlay to it it'll alleviate that issue.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:17:26 PM by naveen »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

naveen

• View Profile
Re: Set AirPlay device in iTunes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
That looks pretty cool, thanks!
I guess the next question is: can you control software like this via VoxCommando or HTTP?

This is a little bit overkill for me since I only want to output iTunes audio via AirPlay (and it already has AirPlay functionality built in). I was thinking of using mouse clicks to enable it but half the time iTunes doesn't even gain focus even though VC is setup to focus it.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
I have no idea.  Sorry.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »
As far as I know there is no way to tell itunes how/where to use airplay because Apple did not implement this in the Windows/iTunes SDK/API.  The API is actually quite ancient.  I think it was released before airplay even existed and they have not bothered to update it once since then AFAIK.

naveen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 01:51:42 PM »
As far as I know there is no way to tell itunes how/where to use airplay because Apple did not implement this in the Windows/iTunes SDK/API.  The API is actually quite ancient.  I think it was released before airplay even existed and they have not bothered to update it once since then AFAIK.

That makes sense, thanks!

Maybe its a bad idea to base home audio on iTunes then..considering it already isn't the best and doesn't seem like the support will last?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
I have never been a fan of iTunes.  MediaMonkey FTW!

Unfortunately the one thing MediaMonkey doesn't really allow is an easy way to automate switching output zones.  If that is important to you then I guess you could consider XBMC or JRiver.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »
You might want to browse some of the video demos or tutorials on the VC youtube channel if you're considering iTunes alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5bR_Jcv6lk3ubiNzdgOIGQ

In the "Coming home from work" video, James is using MediaMonkey when issuing music-related commands, and there are a few specific videos of using VC with JRiver and XBMC.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)