Author Topic: Push To Talk?  (Read 2586 times)

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Push To Talk?
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
This may have been asked before but I could not find an answer. I was wondering if there is a way to assign a button on the keyboard as like a push to talk button. Make it with the ducking feature like I have set up with voxwav. This would be handy when I am just doing web stuff on my laptop. So I could push say the alt key or function key along with another key and have my music mute until I release whatever buttons I assign? Does this make sense? I tried to explain the best I could.

Thanks to all of you folks!

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Push To Talk?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
While I find it a bit odd, you'd want a physical key vs an 'always on' voice command to start listening. I would imagine you could do this via EventGhost sending an event to VC

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
This may have been asked before but I could not find an answer. I was wondering if there is a way to assign a button on the keyboard as like a push to talk button. Make it with the ducking feature like I have set up with voxwav. This would be handy when I am just doing web stuff on my laptop. So I could push say the alt key or function key along with another key and have my music mute until I release whatever buttons I assign? Does this make sense? I tried to explain the best I could.

Thanks to all of you folks!

Not to sure about keyboard push to talk, will have to give it some thought, may be a better way would be to use a desktop widget,  some software that is capable of doing push to talk are xwidget and rainmeter, some example widgets I use are shown in the picture below.

if you use firefox as your web browser, then you can also give custom buttons plugin a try.
take a look at this post for some info.
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1037.0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:31:03 AM by xtermin8r »
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
I take online college classes and listen to music at the same time both from my laptop. I just would like to be able to push a button or something to temporarily mute the music so i can issue a command. I guess I could use voxwav but just trying to find something a little more convenient since my fingers are already on the keyboard.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »
Based on that workflow EventGhost integration really seems like what you are looking for.
Or maybe using a hotkey and script to use TellVoxCommando.exe http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Menu#Run_TellVoxCommando.exe

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I will spend some time tonight looking over the different options you have provided.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »
For this I would either use eventGhost, or the "hook" plugin for VC.

With the hook plugin you can either use single keys or key combinations.  With single keys you get keydown and keyup events so this would be good if you have a single key on your keyboard that you never use.  With keyboard combos like Alt-F2, you will get an event for the combo but not for when the combo is release.  So if you used a key combo you would either need to use a push to toggle approach, or you could use the combo to turn VC on and then use the keyup of the last key in the combo to turn vc off again

On Event>>  Hook.LControlKey+LShiftKey+Oemtilde
Off Event>> Hook.Oemtilde.Up

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
Based on that workflow EventGhost integration really seems like what you are looking for.
Or maybe using a hotkey and script to use TellVoxCommando.exe http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Menu#Run_TellVoxCommando.exe
You can't use TellVoxCommando.exe in this way, but you could use udpsender.exe

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
Ah, I sorry, thought I went through the plugin list.
Thanks for the heads up re TellVoxCommando and UDPsender...