Author Topic: Ideas on how and why to intergrate with Vox for home automation  (Read 3080 times)

PointCloud

• View Profile
This may be a fairly broad post but it is all related so bear with me. :bonk

Voxcommando in itself is now a very modular software.  The addition of VoxWav, Python scripting, and Arduino integration makes Vox IMHO crucial in home/life automation.   This are some key factors that I believe that could very well enhance the quality of life for a lot of us.  Windows, Google ,and Apple have their forms of Speech softwares that are supposed to enhance peoples lives.  They all pale in comparison to VC.  Windows speech recognition didn't become useful to me till I found VC and really does not provide any automation out of the box.   Google mostly want you to use their search engine and you have to address it as Google.  Vox has had a Google search payload for quite sometime and you can name your computer what you please.  Apple's Siri is mostly funny responses people show off to their friends which are fairly lame. Siri has a lot to learn from Paul Hibbert's Alexander VC setup. ;D VC is not just a software but is now becoming a platform.

Now let's talk about VoxWav.  The Android software that allows you to interface with VC on a Android smartphone.  VoxWav is a very cheap alternative to buying a wireless mic and can be ran in the backround while you do other useful things on your smart device.  There are tons of useful apps on Android devices as well it has a very low dev fee. That is if you want to develop your own apps.  Application like Tasker(Android automation) and SensoDuino(data gathering of on board smart phone sensors) can add value in the Voxwav/VoxCommando ecosystem for automation.  Example could be..... Using SensorDuino to collect data of your local enviroment.  Then use Tasker to send that data to your pc every hour.  Then use VoxWav to command VC to read that data or store it in a local data base for further analysis.

Now Python scripting and Arduino integration goes in hand in hand with VC.  The amount of possibilities either individually or combined are endless.  James did me a huge favor adding Python as a language to program VC with.  Python is regarded as one of the easiest languages to learn, one of the fastest to deploy, the preferred language of the scientific community, and crossplatfrom(raspberrypi, arduino,windows,ios,linux).  So this has got me to really concentrate on Python as my main programing language.  I knew I would have learn it eventually for Arduinos but now it is on the top of my to do list.  Now I am also thnking of applications I could write in python for windows or android.

There are a lot of devices for home automation and they are expensive.  There is also a risk for how long the tech will be around or supported.  There is a lot of start up companies providing these things and as I stated before we can't really depend on the big companies to deliver a quality product for automation.  This is where a dyi arduino intergration will prove to be more modular and powerful depending on the home automation needs.  James posted recently a arduino mega controlling 4 relay switches.  This could be done with a 20 to 30 dollar ardunio and  10 to 20 dollar for a 4 relay switch board.  Then to make it wireless there are a ton of shield options depending on what you need the price can range. The Flutter shields can go up to 1/2 mile in range and their cost is about 20-30 bucks.  Not to mention you would have some open slots for some sensors. 

So a good usage example would be a green house project.  You could control lights, water pumps, fans, and so forth.  You could collect data on humidity and temperature. Then send that data back to VC and have it read it to you.  Basically taking a ton of the work out of gardening making your green house automated for under 300 bucks easy.  If you where to buy something like that currently it would put you a ballpark of 2 to 3 k.  On top of that you probable could not repair if it broke. 

I am going to stop here cause I honestly could go on for days. ;D  I am just grateful that I have options and I am super excited on the what future holds for automation.If anyone has things ask , add or point out feel free.
Cheers and be blessed!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Ideas on how and why to intergrate with Vox for home automation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Hear hear. :)

I'm curious to know how you're currently using -- or intending to use -- VC. Do you have a particular vision that you're working to implement?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

PointCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »
I currently using Vox mainly for things like shortcut commands between programs and data logging as I browse the internet.  I do freelance 3d modeling, graphic design, photography, and video editing.  When everything is said and done, I could be between up to 10 programs for work.  One of the hardest things about learning 3d modeling software and so forth is the amount of shortcut keys you have to learn.  I found myself getting frustrated trying to remember what was what.  Now all I have to remember is the tool name and say it.  If the function of the program requires more than a keystroke I make TTS response telling me exactly what I need to do. I also can make notes for the program for things I still have a hard time with. It is kinda like a virtual assistant catering to my needs to learn a function I am having a hard time grasping. I feel programs are supposed to work for you and you not work for them.  This also helps my speed at learning/using a program in a useful manner.  In my own opinion there is no one tool for these things all have their strengths and weaknesses.

There are a lot of reason I feel going to the extreme like this is beneficial.  The current state of affairs economically is not looking good for the common Joe.  There is always a younger smarter and cheaper labor that may take your job at a moments notice.  Companies will replace common labor with robotics and clever programing the second they get the chance to.  People invest into retirement and I invest into tools that make me become more self sustainable.  I personally don't want to turn 40 be out of job and no way to take care of family. The less they can bill you for the less you have to make.  I watched people in my family go from living in a nice house to living with their kids or crashing on a friends couch with no job. 

I have been doing work with Open Source Ecology for about a year now.  I also have built 2 green houses and 1 cob home.  In that time I have learned a lot from the people involved in that community.  I have seen some real innovative ideas and watch a shoe string budget make families free from huge debt.  It is a ton of work and learning to become self sustainable. Things ranging from solar, wind, water, green house, batteries, electric, plumbing and plant maintenance. To try and hold a job and do all this work to make sure you have what you need is daunting.  Since Vox itself can automate things I have very ambitious plans for it among other fairly low cost techs.  Time is our most valuable asset and according to studies we spend a close to a third of our life trying to pay bills. We on average spend only 600 days trying care each other in our entire lifetime.  I personally don't want a third of my life to be consumed by trying to make ends meet. Nor do I want to see others suffer when there is no need.

This summer I plan to make a green house that automates a good amount of time consuming task along with collect data.  Vox is going to be a central hub for most of the task while a arduino and raspberry pi is the computing in the green house. 
A example is using while your planting your plants you can get stats on their behaviors verbally spoken to you and other parties.  Things like how long they take to fruit, their climate preferences and so forth.  Data gets passed back and forth between Vox and the green house. Things like running water pumps, checking the temperature  and reminders are going to be time/money saving.  So you can be in your house watching tv and a temp sensor reports 110 degrees in your green house it triggers Vox to verbally tell you or even through a text warning you of the temperature. I also want to play around with different voices to represent different functions giving a personality between the house and the green house.  Like for example making the green house responses a female named mary while a male name frank would be for a house.  It is interesting when you do voice/personality change between programs and vox.  It is kinda like audio ques for what your doing.

I honestly have hundreds of ideas for integration for full blown smart house automation.  We can sit and wait for a company to provide a product that suits self sustainability or we can make them.   I currently can't dedicate tons of time to it as I am getting my financial situation in order.  Though I am constantly making tools involving vox to speed up my work flow.  Vox one payload at a time is giving me more time to make money and spend on more future proof ways of living.

Anyways I know that was long read so I will stop here for now.  Cheers

Jazzik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:06:39 AM »
This is an amazing post, and I'm surprised it didnt get more attention. I've never been interested in becoming self sufficient. Upon reading this, I'm inspired to look into a greenhouse when I move house later in the year!

PointCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:47 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Jazzik. :)  It has been awhile since I visited the forum cause I have been super busy.  I am super humbled that it inspired you to look into becoming self sufficient.  It is a lot of learn and a lot of work.  I personally spent over 6 years learning and practicing it.  The good news for you there is a lot more information and a lot more tools("like vc") then when I started.   Vox commando is a tool worth investing your time into.  The amount of experiences you can change using VC and automation are endless really.  I can go on for days and how all these connect and their importance to living a truly richer life.   Anyways cheers!