Author Topic: MediaMonkey Not Playing Track  (Read 4319 times)

rsmed1

• View Profile
MediaMonkey Not Playing Track
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
This is strange...using VC I can open MediaMonkey. When I tell it to play an artist, VC recognizes the command, but MM does nothing.  Has anyone had this happen before?
I can manually play a track in MM, but can't play a track using VC.

*** Update ***
I opened both MM and VC as 'administrator' and now it is working.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:07:08 PM by rsmed1 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: MediaMonkey Not Playing Track
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
In some cases MM won't allow itself to be controlled unless it is run as administrator.

In general Windows will not allow any program to talk to a program that has higher privileges than it has, so in order for VC to talk to any program that is run as administrator, VC also needs to be run as administrator.

Some versions of MM had a bug (I think it is fixed now) where it would require admin privileges to run because it was trying to modify file associations on start-up, so then VC would also need to be run as admin in order to talk to MM.  In this case I think maybe there is/was a setting in MM to tell it not to do that.

Usually you can run MM and VC as admin only once and control it this way, and this kind of "breaks the ice" after than you can close both MM and VC and then run them both normally and they should work, but this does not always work.

rsmed1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
Good information.  I use MM which plays music out to my receiver via UPnP/DLNA.  After every track is played, I get an MM error pop-up box that says "The receiver player is turned off or inaccessible".  I click the 'ok' button and it will then play the next track.  Have you ever had that error before? Makes MM pretty worthless if I have to click the 'ok' button after every track in order for it to play.  I posted this in MM forum, but no answers. Thought you might know since you use it also.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:08:28 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
I don't use it this way.  I send audio out to my receiver using optical.

Just doing a test now though and I can connect to my MM dlna server from my Onkyo and play a playlist without any problems, and I don't need to do anything to go from one track to the next, it just keeps playing.

I don't know if you are "pushing" (send to?) your songs to the receiver from MM or using the receiver to pull them from MM (which is what I'm doing) but I've never found the push method to be very reliable in general.

If you are using Windows 8 I would consider that a likely suspect...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:30:28 PM by jitterjames »

rsmed1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
I am using MM to 'push' music out to my receiver. And yes, I am using Windows 8.

Thanks for your help.  If/when I figure out what causes the error pop-up box after every track, I'll let you know.