Author Topic: Face Detection  (Read 5209 times)

ryz4eva

• Chasing The Tech Dragon
    • View Profile
Face Detection
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
im looking for software which will detect faces. currently i have a ispy set up to watch my door. when motion is detected, it sends a message to vox and to deactivate my alarm i have to say a specific command.

id like it so that it could say "im glad to see your back sir" when i walk into the room, but play an alarm when somebody else does.

just wondering if anybody knew of such software, or if it was possibl with ispy

cheers
Rocking:
Lenovo Ideapad Z580
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
LG Nexus 4
Voxcommando
Eventghost
XBMC Frodo
Vera Lite

View my site to see what im up to with vox...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Face Detection
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »
id like it so that it could say "im glad to see your back sir" when i walk into the room,

Technically he should say that when you're leaving ;)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Ryz4Eva,
interesting idea, I once looked into something similar with WansView Cameras and iSpy software also.  It should be possible but obvious factors like lighting and camera quality will have an effect.  I used the free test at http://www.skybiometry.com/Demo to test with snapshot from Wansview and my "calibration image" and was getting very low results/success.  My problem was in getting/training wansview in capturing a good image to use as the upload (what you get for a $50 IP camera I suppose).  The theory is sound and it would be possible but I think you would need to write out a whole program to detect the motion, wait for good lighting then capture the image, run recognition with the API, and then send TCP command to VC... definitely beyond my skill =)

Sean
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
I also think that even with a customized solution, with efficient code, it is going to take a lot of horsepower from your cpu and waste energy in the process.  Not something I would want to have running around the clock without a really good reason (i.e. bank security etc).

Don't know if it would work any better but you could take a look at: "fastaccess facial recognition".  It claims that it can enter passwords for you etc. so maybe there is a way to connect it to VC or eventghost, or use the VC hook plugin to detect when the password is entered etc.

At best I think you could get to the point where you can get it to work once or twice and say "hey cool" and then you will abandon it because it is not really practical to use.

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
Jitter,
My Dell Studio XPS came with Fast Access and while it worked in good lighting obviously at night it was pointless.  The web based ones are nice because they eat the processing power for you but you sacrifice that for image upload time.  My company is a reseller for Talon DVR systems and I asked our rep about it and his response was that the only implementations they do with this is for security offices in which they can put the user in front of perfect lighting and "Green Screen" type backgrounds.

Nametag (http://www.nametag.ws/) is doing some pretty cool stuff with Facial recognition, but they have not yet launched.  I sincerely doubt they get an accurate system off the ground...

Sean
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »
I know it is an old topic, however there is something new came up ... check http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1594.0
though the discussion is about voice recognition, but the same service offer face recognition ...

there software to log in windows using face recognition is great ... if one can figure away to access the dlls ... problem solved without web service
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
Their non-Web-based SDK is a proprietary, licensed product meant for businesses who have $$$ to pay for it.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:22 PM »
@nime5ter, I agree but using the web service is free  ;D ;D

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
IBM Bluemix has a cloud offering that does image recognition.  I played around with it and it is really fantastic, but I don't know if it offers the level of customization you would need.  From what I saw it is more like from their object database.  Still, if you have a few spare moment, it is worth taking a look at... it is kind of like Google Goggles. 

I also recall seeing some API offerings at mashape.com that did image recognition.  Once again, I don't know if it will allow you to add your own customization to detect person A and person B. 

Quite possible the above posts were a waste of your time :)

Finally, the French system SARAH will do this.  So I know it can be done.  Although it requires a Kinect, and proper training (pretty cool how it works).  And heavily utilizes system resources on the PC running it.

Finally, and this may be your most promising prospect, http://docs.opencv.org/modules/contrib/doc/facerec/facerec_tutorial.html

I agree with you it would be great to have the ability for your house to know who is in it and where.  Even better to know when someone unknown is in it and react.  But I am will to bet the implementation of such a system will either require $$$ or heavy system resource utilization.  Running a Kinect with full recognition turned on ramps the CPU way up. 

I think it would be really cool to have the home system know my wife is downstairs in the living room, and I'm upstairs in the bedroom.  I could say 'Ask Jill if she wants to go out for dinner' and the downstairs system would output my message to her, she could respond, and my system would announce back to me.  All because, one way or another, the system is able to determine our location (I realize there are various ways this could be accomplished).

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
I am following opencv for couple of years now ... Haven't seen an application of it that I can use with VC ... And to apply it from scratch requires lots of time that I do not have :(
As for kinect as well there is many many solutions on the net ... Yet non of the ones I have seen is usable with VC ...

Could you provide links for IBM and Sarah ?

I think it would be really cool to have the home system know my wife is downstairs in the living room, and I'm upstairs in the bedroom.  I could say 'Ask Jill if she wants to go out for dinner' and the downstairs system would output my message to her, she could respond, and my system would announce back to me.  All because, one way or another, the system is able to determine our location (I realize there are various ways this could be accomplished).

This is still doable to a certain extent with audio routing and motion, or presence detection ... You can create a command that establish an intercome between the 2 systems ... So you ask your wife, and she will answer without the need of VC to meddle :) ...

tobiastobindev

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  Never mind about my post.  Just poorly conceived ramblings.