Author Topic: Q & A with wolframalpha and duckduckgo  (Read 11916 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Q & A with wolframalpha and duckduckgo
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
@Hellow:

You mentioned a fix near the middle/end of this thread.

Did you already apply the fix to the code you posted at the beginning of this thread?

@Etrust:

You can also try the non-Python version that I posted above.  I believe it also works fine: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1319.msg11344#msg11344

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
@Hellow:

You mentioned a fix near the middle/end of this thread.

Did you already apply the fix to the code you posted at the beginning of this thread?

@Etrust:

You can also try the non-Python version that I posted above.  I believe it also works fine: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1319.msg11344#msg11344

Hi James,

Yes I will. have I understand that your non-Phyton version I have only to import the xml you have posted and modify my api key and that's it? Or are there more steps to do?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi Etrust,

Yes, you've understood correctly. James's command does not use the Python plugin. You just need to insert your own API key in his XML.

I think the forum has several Wolfram Alpha solutions posted in various threads, so it's confusing. But all of them probably work reasonably well, and most of them are similar.

In this post there's a link to a video where you can see one of the versions working: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1463.msg12773#msg12773

The main limitation is that we have to use a payload dictation if we want to be able to ask any question. For this reason, I find it works better to have the following settings in my Options: 1. "Show OSD Alternates" selected, and 2. "Don't execute if #Alternates >=2". This way, VoxCommando will not automatically try to use the "most likely" result that it hears, and will instead show me a list of possibilities to choose from, as demonstrated in the video.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:33:24 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Hi Etrust,

Yes, you've understood correctly. James's command does not use the Python plugin. You just need to insert your own API key in his XML.

I think the forum has several Wolfram Alpha solutions posted in various threads, so it's confusing. But all of them probably work reasonably well, and most of them are similar.

In this post there's a link to a video where you can see one of the versions working: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1463.msg12773#msg12773

The main limitation is that we have to use a payload dictation if we want to be able to ask any question. For this reason, I find it works better to have the following settings in my Options: 1. "Show OSD Alternates" selected, and 2. "Don't execute if #Alternates >=2". This way, VoxCommando will not automatically try to use the "most likely" result that it hears, and will instead show me a list of possibilities to choose from, as demonstrated in the video.

Hi nime5ster!!

Yes I have found more posts and was a little bit confused  :biglaugh
Great! I will try your version and jame's version soon as I arrive home today. My idea is to setup voxcommando with wolframalpha using a very very small pc running win 8.1 in my livingroom without monitor, mouse and keyboard. So I will need a solution to have an answer without to choose one from the list because I will not have a monitor and will not have access to the list. It's possible to let vocommando choose the first answer automaticcaly for me?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »
Ha. Wow. I think you are being very optimistic, particularly if you are speaking English with a Swiss accent ;) -- but it can't hurt to try!

Yes, by default, VoxCommando will execute the most likely phrase heard, even if it also interprets alternative possibilities.

It is only if you choose otherwise, that it will not do that.

I recommend reading through the "OSD Alternates options" section of the wiki: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Options
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
Ha. Wow. I think you are being very optimistic, particularly if you are speaking English with a Swiss accent ;) -- but it can't hurt to try!

Yes, by default, VoxCommando will execute the most likely phrase heard, even if it also interprets alternative possibilities.

It is only if you choose otherwise, that it will not do that.

I recommend reading through the "OSD Alternates options" section of the wiki: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Options

Hi nime5ster!!

:biglaugh absolutely! I have definitly a swiss accent but for now voxcommando was able to understand me  ;D James did a great accent recgonizer  :biglaugh

Yes the wiki confirmed that VC will choose automatically the most like answer: "Note that, by default -- even if it recognizes possible alternates -- VC will automatically execute the most likely command (i.e. Option 1) after several seconds"

I have not found a possibility to change the seconds to 0 or to ignore all options and choose emmadiately the most likely answer and not wait several seconds.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »
Actually the wiki was slightly incorrect and I just updated it.  It should just say:

Note that, by default -- even if it recognizes possible alternates -- VC will automatically execute the most likely command (i.e. Option 1)

That is, it will always execute option 1 immediately when you are using the default settings.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
However, you will most likely find that free dictation is far less accurate than commands that do not use dictation.  Even with a relatively plain English accent it will often get my dictation slightly wrong, and I find I need to use alternates for Wolfram (or other dictation based) commands to be useful.

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »
FYI, The same question works fine with the non-python version that we previously posted to the forum:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<command id="612" name="wolfram" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>Scrape</cmdType>
    <cmdString>http://api.wolframalpha.com/v2/query?appid=YOUR_API_KEY&amp;input={1}&amp;format=plaintext</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>Results.RegExSingle</cmdType>
    <cmdString>&lt;plaintext&gt;([^&lt;].*?)&lt;/plaintext&gt;</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <if ifBlockDisabled="False" ifNot="False">
    <ifType>LastActionSuccess</ifType>
    <ifParams>&amp;&amp;</ifParams>
    <then>
      <action>
        <cmdType>Results.MatchConcat</cmdType>
        <cmdString>{CR}&amp;&amp;3</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdType>Results.Replace</cmdType>
        <cmdString>&amp;quot;&amp;&amp;"</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdString>&amp;apos;&amp;&amp;'</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdString> |</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
        <cmdString>{LastResult}</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdType>TTS.Speak</cmdType>
        <cmdString>{LastResult}</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
    </then>
    <else>
      <action>
        <cmdType>TTS.Speak</cmdType>
        <cmdString>I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to: {1} Could you speak more clearly, or perhaps try to rephrase your question.</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
      <action>
        <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
        <cmdString>I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to: {CR}{1}{CR}Could you speak more clearly, or perhaps try to rephrase your question.</cmdString>
        <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
      </action>
    </else>
  </if>
  <phrase>Wolfram, Winklethorpe, Hey Jeeves, Dearie, Can you tell me</phrase>
  <payloadDictation>payloadDictation: Regular</payloadDictation>
</command>

Hi James and Guys,

I have imported this script to my VC. I can see the payloadDictation: Regular in red (please check screen). It seems that dictation is not supported in SP Modus. Is that true? Will I have to switch to the no SP mode?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:51:05 AM by nime5ter »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
Yes, you can not use payload dictation with SP Version.

Each engine has advantages and disadvantages. Pay attention to features *and* to limitations (e.g., the new engine does not support open dictation or training, but works with bluetooth microphones).
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 04:47:06 AM »
Hi kalle,

ok thanks for the confirmation. So there is no way to use wolfram with SP mode   :-\

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 04:56:29 AM »
No, not with dictation.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
Hi kalle,

ok thanks for the confirmation. So there is no way to use wolfram with SP mode   :-\

Just a reminder that our wiki documentation is the place to start, when looking for answers. http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Version_2#Choice_of_speech_engines

@eTrust -- Now that you mention it, I have been wondering why you are using SP rather than the other engine. Are you using a bluetooth microphone?

Generally, SP is an important option for users who don't speak one of the standard 8 languages that come with Windows, or users who want to use a bluetooth microphone. Otherwise, the SAPI 5 speech engine is preferable.

If you are running a Windows 8 machine with a German OS, it is possible to install both German and English language packs.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
Why do you feel that you need to use SP mode anyway?  If you are using a good quality microphone and using English phrases in your commands then the regular mode with some training is probably a better choice all around.

Etrust

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Hi nime5ter Hi James!

I speak portuguese (brazil) and would like to use it in VC. BUT for the moment I am speaking only english (with a swiss accent hehe) with VC AND Wolfram does not work in portuguese. So it is maybe "for the moment" a good idea to switch to the no sp mode. You are right.