Author Topic: VoxCommando for Jriver 19 on Windows Server 2012 r2  (Read 7004 times)

jabrunelle

• View Profile
VoxCommando for Jriver 19 on Windows Server 2012 r2
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I've been using VC for Jriver on a test PC for a while now, and I've come to really enjoy it. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows Server 2012 r2. I'm running Jriver in server mode on that machine with multiple RaspberryPi clients connected to it each on a different zone. Is there any way to make VC work on a server os? Please note that all commands to VC will be sent through VWav to the server.

Thanks,
Jack B.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxCommando for Jriver 19 on Windows Server 2012 r2
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
I don't think Windows server supports speech recognition, so you would probably need to run a virtual machine with windows 7 on it in order to make it work.  VoxCommando is based on SAPI 5 which is provided by the OS and accessed using .Net

In a future version of VC I may add support for an alternate speech engine which is installed and not built into the operating system.  This might work on server but I can't promise anything at this point about when this would happen, nor do I know for certain if it will be compatible with Windows server.

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
if running MAIN Library on server 2008, and all clients library's are from server 2008's library, clients should still be able to use voice control for those clients using server library....correct?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
You can run VC on any machine and control any other machine running JRiver through the network.

The machine running VC does not need to have JRiver installed, but in order to run, VC must be installed on Vista, Win7 or Win8 (AFAIK).

xtacbyme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
nice, thanks

jabrunelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
Ok, thank you.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
Actually it might be possible to run VoxCommando 2 on Windows Server...

VC 2 will have a choice of an alternate speech recognition engine which you download and install, as opposed to the built-in desktop engine which ships with Vista, 7 and 8.  The alternate engine has some pros and cons as compared to the one we use now, but this might be one of the pros.

I say possible, because I think it will probably work, I really don't see why it would not, but it has not been tested yet.

jabrunelle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
I'll definitely give VC2 a try on the server OS once it's released to see how it works. Until then I plan to use VC on a virtual machine. Thanks for your help. This is a really great product!