Author Topic: Smart Microphone  (Read 3496 times)

mrmagica

• View Profile
Smart Microphone
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
Hi. A few years ago I used VC and eventhost to build a smart living room. Both amazing bits of sotware but in the end the hardware let it down. X10 is awful. IR blasting from eventghost is not great (IR is never fun for home automation) and the microphone was'nt upto the job when you have a movie or music blasting, or people chatting. Great in demo but in the end easier to use a remote and light switches.

Forwards a few years and we have z-wave, smartthings hub and the highly thought of Amazon echo (or dot) which seems uncanny at picking up commands. So I ordered a bunch of stuff, a few amazon dots, a smartthings hub, a z-wave USB stick, and z-wave lighting modules. However while these bits link together brilliantly, they are a bit limited in a way that VC and EG just isn't. I could easily swap this system to VC/EG which I'd love too but what worries me is the mic.

I did a forum search, seems not possible to use the Amazon echo mic, I read someone saying they could get just as good results, so I looked at the VC wiki, doesnt seem the mic section has been updated for 3 years. No one seems to have a gold standard for array mics, kinects never seem to work as well asa people hoped.

I googled and found and article on beamforming "smart mics" (http://www.xmos.com/blog/xmos/post/introducing-xcore-voice-smart-microphone-applications). Can anyone suggest a type of mic of this level, not costing hundreds of £££'s? It's amazing really I just paid £40 for an amazoin dot that has a 7 way direction mic which is almost perfect yet years later options for a simple mic still seem very limited....?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Microphone
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Hi mrmagica,
hundreds of £££'s? I can see for the smart mic PCB-board 1500£ - wow that is crazy!

I'm sure the Amazon Echo/Dot will work fine in a quiet ambient room or by mute the TV/music, but if there are more than one talking people in the room, I will bet it fails the most of the time just like all other mic's. I don't understand why there is no manufacturer which has a small wireless body mic like the communicator from StarTrek - I had built my own "communicator" which works fine, but looks a bit funny and has only a reliable range of 10 meter.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1153.msg9810#msg9810
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:45:24 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********